Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Corona Virus

The Corona Virus

Well..it has started to spread much more here in sweden as well.

Right now around 480 infected in sweden ( as they are aware of), no death related ..yet.

No special quarantine measures, we are adviced to stay at home if we are feeling sick though, and the government just discarded the qualifying periods we have in within the sickness benefit we have..at least suspended it for 1,5 month.
    The Public health department just requested that public gatherings of more than 500 people should not be allowed, and I reckon the Government will make that as a crize rule.

I am a bit curious, One article here says the U.S doesnīt have a general sickness benefit system,? thus people are much more inclined to go to work ..even if they are sick, is that correct?

So I wonder how this will either be a cause of spreading the virus, or if discarding the qualifying periods will help reducing the infection.

Correction, just recently Today....the first death in Sweden was reported from one that was infected with the corona virus.

I think the infection rate is much higher than what is being detected in many countries. Both Canada and the US might have high quality modern health care systems but they are not prepared for this in the least bit and this will bring them to there knees once it's widespread much like what is happening in Italy right now. In Italy they can't treat everyone in critical condition and many of the doctors and nurses are infected so they have to start choosing who to treat and let others die.

Watch this interview with this infectious disease expert with Joe Rogan to get a better idea of the impending storm this virus will cause.

In a best cased scenario the death rate is 10 - 15 times higher than the worst seasonal flu death rate. It's estimated this will kill about half a million people globally over the next 3 -6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 03-11-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I think the infection rate is much higher than what is being detected in many countries. Both Canada and the US might have high quality modern health care systems but they are not prepared for this in the least bit and this will bring them to there knees once it's widespread much like what is happening in Italy right now. In Italy they can't treat everyone in critical condition and many of the doctors and nurses are infected so they have to start choosing who to treat and let others die.

Watch this interview with this infectious disease expert with Joe Rogan to get a better idea of the impending storm this virus will cause.

In a best cased scenario the death rate is 10 - 15 times higher than the worst seasonal flu death rate. It's estimated this will kill about half a million people globally over the next 3 -6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Yes, probably it will become a lot worse..before itīs getting better,.
    Better to stay at home and watch a movie like..

Huh, maybe One should wear those fancy suits for protection when going the grosery store.
    And Letīs hope it wonīt come to a nuke the town situation

Seems the general public here in sweden is p...off, that the Government didnīt take more serious actions earlier.
    The government just responded with... the situation wasnīt that bad then, and that the Government can only act on what the health deparment initially recommends, and not do the opposite to interfere with their decisions, since they are the experts not we.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes, probably it will become a lot worse..before itīs getting better,.
    Better to stay at home and watch a movie like..

Huh, maybe One should wear those fancy suits for protection when going the grosery store.
    And Letīs hope it wonīt come to a nuke the town situation

Seems the general public here in sweden is p...off, that the Government didnīt take more serious actions earlier.
    The government just responded with... the situation wasnīt that bad then, and that the Government can only act on what the health deparment initially recommends, and not do the opposite to interfere with their decisions, since they are the experts not we.
    Most governments are saying it's low risk until it gets out of control and starts killing lots of people. It's like say there is a huge hurricane coming but it's low risk.

In the grand scheme of things, it's very low risk... but if you're in certain age groups, with existing health issues, you're higher risk I guess. Same as the standard flu.
    People aren't panicking too much here in the UK, maybe a bit of stock-piling, but I expect it will get worse.

If I was over 70, I'd probably be a little bit more careful, and if I had health concerns I'd be extra careful. Generally, if you're over 70, you'd most likely be retired and it may be easier to isolate yourselves.

It must be awful to be in a country where you don't get state healthcare though I'm glad we have the National Health Service here in the UK.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, it's very low risk... but if you're in certain age groups, with existing health issues, you're higher risk I guess. Same as the standard flu.
    People aren't panicking too much here in the UK, maybe a bit of stock-piling, but I expect it will get worse.

If I was over 70, I'd probably be a little bit more careful, and if I had health concerns I'd be extra careful. Generally, if you're over 70, you'd most likely be retired and it may be easier to isolate yourselves.

It must be awful to be in a country where you don't get state healthcare though I'm glad we have the National Health Service here in the UK.
    I think what might make people start to freak out a bit is when we start seeing some well known people succumb this virus like politicians, celebrities and even people they know personally. Also a virus will not discriminate between the wealthy and the poor.

Yeah, cold and flu season is a drag. The media seems to be stoking people up a bit. "Fear is the mind killer" Though if you are 90, or already dying, a cold or flu can be your body killer. Still that happens every year, circle of life and all. Don't worry.

NAB 2020 was just cancelled.

Not that LW was actually going to be featured there...

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, it's very low risk..
    You have to define that between the risc of being infected and infected to the point that it is a high risc of death.
    So I would say it may be a very high risc of getting infected, for me personally...not sure about the danger of it, a bit overweight, lower immune system and allergic..so not so sure about that.
    Not necessary old age that could screw it up for you.

And just like that, to be relevant for the times, one channel is airing outbreak again tonight, just to scare us a little bit more

You have to define that between the risc of being infected and infected to the point that it is a high risc of death.
    So I would say it may be a very high risc of getting infected, for me personally...not sure about the danger of it, a bit overweight, lower immune system and allergic..so not so sure about that.
    Not necessary old age that could screw it up for you.
    Doctors are still puzzled that seemingly young healthy people in some cases are dying from this virus but it seems to be primarily those who are older and have other health issues that are most at risk of death or serious illness from it. It's estimated that 40 - 60% of the world population will get the virus in this initial wave. There could be waves of it again in coming years also. I'm 40 so I'm kinda in the middle somewhere I would guess.

I work from home so I can mostly isolate but my wife works at an office with many other people so she has a very good chance of picking it up eventually and likely give it to me as well.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 03-11-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Doctors are still puzzled that seemingly young healthy people in some cases are dying from this virus but it seems to be primarily those who are older and have other health issues that are most at risk of death or serious illness from it. It's estimated that 40 - 60% of the world population will get the virus in this initial wave. There could be waves of it again in coming years also. I'm 40 so I'm kinda in the middle somewhere I would guess.

I work from home so I can mostly isolate but my wife works at an office with many other people so she has a very good chance of picking it up eventually and likely give it to me as well.
    Currently I am without a job actually, so that perhaps can be considered as a little benefit of not meeting that much people, and I am generally not very socially either or go to events etc.
    I had a job interview planned this thursday, but the recruiter had to cancel it cause sheīs sick, but I didnīt get told what kind of sickness she has, so we will try on monday again...but I would like to hear from here what kind of sicness it was, and then again..I am not fond of meeting up still if she had the ordinary flu either...but sometimes you have to deal with that if itīs an important interview.

The downside is that I am in the high risc zone so to speak, stockholm where most people has been infected.

Currently I am without a job actually, so that perhaps can be considered as a little benefit of not meeting that much people, and I am generally not very socially either or go to events etc.
    I had a job interview planned this thursday, but the recruiter had to cancel it cause sheīs sick, but I didnīt get told what kind of sickness she has, so we will try on monday again...but I would like to hear from here what kind of sicness it was, and then again..I am not fond of meeting up still if she had the ordinary flu either...but sometimes you have to deal with that if itīs an important interview.

The downside is that I am in the high risc zone so to speak, stockholm where most people has been infected.
    Hopefully she doesn't have it. Most people will never be tested unless they are extremely sick so they might think they have a cold or flu when in fact they have the Corona virus and never knew it. A Canadian student that has self quarantine in Italy mentioned she got really sick 2 weeks ago for a few days but they wouldn't test her saving those kit for more severe cases. She also said one of her class mates tested positive for Corona.

Here's the interview if you care to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iYHtxm7W6k
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 03-11-2020 at 02:55 PM.

If you are going to get it... get it now. Well before the health care service of your country is overwhelmed.
    Would you rather be 1 of 100 getting the best care available or 1 of 100,000 left in a corridor?

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    If you are going to get it... get it now. Well before the health care service of your country is overwhelmed.
    Would you rather be 1 of 100 getting the best care available or 1 of 100,000 left in a corridor?
    Ill rather not getting it, otherwise itīs like resigning to the fact that we all will be infected.
    As for if that would be the best way to be assured to get the infection and then get antibodies for it and with good healthcare during that time..not sure.

probably been 4 years since I had any serious cold or flu.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast