Thread: A different way of recording MP4 files

A different way of recording MP4 files

Please separate the "File Capture" option from the "Streaming/Record Configuration" window.

Why? When I stream simultaneously on YouTube Live and Facebook with different quality, the MP4 file can only be recorded with the quality of either YouTube or Facebook. What if the user wants to record stream to MP4 file with higher quality? Therefore, a separate tab / option would solve this problem. It would also be worth preventing MP4 from being saved when the user sets up two recordings in the "Output Configuration" window and the "Record" tab.

Please also enable recording of MP4 files with higher quality. Currently, the software does not warn the user that setting the recording to - for example - 70 Mbits, damages the MP4 file (by the way, who is streaming 70 Mbits?). According to my tests, I can set a maximum quality record of about 40 Mbits only.
    Greetings, Arek.

The system can only handle encoding two h264 streams simultaneously. Each stream however can be sent to multiple destinations. Generally speaking I use one for Streaming at an appropriate bitrate that my local internet can handle + the second encoder to do the higher quality (i usually do 10mbit or so)

Currious about your recording goal. Blu-Ray uses h264 and the maximum bitrate is 40mbits. You want to go higher than that? THe Record option is meant to be the closest to lossless. This is usually closer to 100mbit depending on resolution and frame rate. I think 4k can get closer to 400mbit. You can then of course export h264 from that as well.

You can see recent requests on the ability to start/stop each destination separately which would be great.

Thank you for the clarification, but I'm afraid that you do not work professionally on TV post-production, so you wrote that we need enough Blue-Ray (sorry ). Normally a bit rate of 70-100 Mbits when saving to an MP4 file for further post-production is the basis. In the current NewTek solution, saving to the MP4 file is rather a backup, because normally the files are saved as MOV with a much higher bitrate.

Rather, my question was about moving the MP4 file record to the next tab in the window, so to not disturb the two way of different stream settings. The idea is to be able to set the record at the maximum currently available level, i.e. 40 Mbits. None of us stream video in full HD on YouTube Live or Facebook Live in 40 Mbits, because this is pointless
    Greetings, Arek.

The work flows I have done for paid TV production did not include h264 as a deliverable format for post production. Usually I get asked for Pro-Res files. In my case I use a external recorder to make life easier or if the client is open to using the Natively recorded files I give them those.

Hope you find a workflow that works for you.

In a sense, you are right and I understand now the developers' intention, but TriCaster does not record ProRes (probably because the files are really large and their record consumes the computer resources), but only allows the conversion of SHQ2 to ProRes and it really takes a lot of time.

But thank you for the suggestions and answers. I will find better workflow (external recorder is good idea).
    Greetings, Arek.

I don't know anyone using MP4 for post-production, but regardless, it might be worth mentioning that in current software releases for shipping TriCaster models, the native file format used by the Record module is directly supported in current Adobe products (including Premiere) with the use of a plugin included in the NDI Tools bundle.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't know anyone using MP4 for post-production, but regardless, it might be worth mentioning that in current software releases for shipping TriCaster models, the native file format used by the Record module is directly supported in current Adobe products (including Premiere) with the use of a plugin included in the NDI Tools bundle.
    I have suggested this to a few places and there is resistance to install the package from a company they are not familiar with. Some have done so however which is nice. The rest I use the external recorder for.

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    I have suggested this to a few places and there is resistance to install the package from a company they are not familiar with.
    Not familiar with NewTek? Are your customers on Earth?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Another reason I'd like the two encoders split to separate start/stop controls is that we sometimes need to stop/restart a FB or YouTube live stream without interrupting the local MP4 File Capture encoder.
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

Quote Originally Posted by rlsafran View Post
    Another reason I'd like the two encoders split to separate start/stop controls is that we sometimes need to stop/restart a FB or YouTube live stream without interrupting the local MP4 File Capture encoder.
    YEP. I offered up this idea as a workflow to address this specific issue.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1587676