Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New PC build advice

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    No need for water cooling with the 3950x - The new Noctua air cooler is better than most water coolers. ...
    Yes I know - that's just AMD's recommendation for the CPU and I agree - air cooling is very efficient nowadays (and there are other good air coolers now beside the Noctua).

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes I know - that's just AMD's recommendation for the CPU and I agree - air cooling is very efficient nowadays (and there are other good air coolers now beside the Noctua).
    ...yeah, but they're not nearly as ugly.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    The prices do fluctuate here in the UK too. The 3950X is £680 GBP while the 3900X is £410GBP. As my budget for CPU, MB, RAM, PSU and Case is limited to around £900 GBP there simply isn't another £280 available for a 3950X. The price of the 3900X has moved in the right direction recently but not the 3950X. Still, no mad rush. I've been pondering about this for a couple of months already
    Hehe, pondering suspended for a little while as I just bid on and won a Dell 7810 PC on eBay. Not state of the art by a long way but at £430 shipped, well within my budget. Dual Xeon E5-2680 V3 CPUs with 64GB of DDR4 ECC RAM with a PC and Win 10 Pro license thrown in for good measure for that price was too good to miss. Obviously not going to be as fast as a 3900X, but the money left over could get me an RTX graphics card so things should balance out overall

Update: won auction at 11:41 am. PC delivered at 1:45pm. Time to start playing
    Last edited by Qexit; 03-13-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Awesome deal, for the price of a new 64GB RAM kit, you got a complete monster rig. 2x12 cores with AVX2 support is pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Awesome deal, for the price of a new 64GB RAM kit, you got a complete monster rig. 2x12 cores with AVX2 support is pretty fast.
    That is certainly what I am hoping to find. It will certainly be a big improvement over the Xeon E5-1620 V3 I have been running. Currently in musical graphics cards mode. My new PC now has a Quadro M4000 installed which should give me a nice piece of kit for LW and other bits of software...once I get it all installed.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Update: won auction at 11:41 am. PC delivered at 1:45pm. Time to start playing
    Hey that's a great deal! Have fun with the new machine!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123