Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: New PC build advice

  1. #16
    Super Member Qexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    there was the benchmark marbles one, is that the one you mean?
    That would be this one:

    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...Benchmark-2019
    Kevin F Stubbs

    Remember...one size does NOT fit all

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    i want max speed
    Well then you have to get the 3990X 64-Core processor and for GPU 2x Titan RTX instead.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Even a 3950X is outside my humble budget but it is always fun and interesting to read about the pros and cons of what is available when your funds can cover it/justify it:

    https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/revi...r-3970x-review
    then you might want the AMD 1700X overclocked.
    alternatively, 3700X
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  4. #19
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Thanks. I'll take a look at it later this weekend then.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

    The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

  5. #20
    Super Member Qexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    then you might want the AMD 1700X overclocked.
    alternatively, 3700X
    One option on my 'maybe' list would be a 3900X as I could just put one together with my budget but I'm not looking into overclocking at present. The last PC I built and overclocked was a P4 that is still working and sat beside me for when I need to run some very old software that needs Win XP or Win 7. I stick with default speeds these days as I just want reliability over speed so it reflects its owner
    Kevin F Stubbs

    Remember...one size does NOT fit all

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    One option on my 'maybe' list would be a 3900X as I could just put one together with my budget but I'm not looking into overclocking at present. The last PC I built and overclocked was a P4 that is still working and sat beside me for when I need to run some very old software that needs Win XP or Win 7. I stick with default speeds these days as I just want reliability over speed so it reflects its owner
    I would just add a little bit more for the 3950X and run it without overclocking. It runs even better for single tasks then the 3900X and is sometimes only $200 more.

  7. #22

    isn't it more like $350 more ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    isn't it more like $350 more ?
    Last month the 3950X was $719 here (no special promotion, regular price for about a week) and the 3900X about $500. Now the 3950X is back at $824 in my shop but I think we will see lower prices of the Ryzen 9 in the next couple of months. But yes you're right, average is about $300 difference.

  9. #24
    Super Member Qexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Last month the 3950X was $719 here (no special promotion, regular price for about a week) and the 3900X about $500. Now the 3950X is back at $824 in my shop but I think we will see lower prices of the Ryzen 9 in the next couple of months. But yes you're right, average is about $300 difference.
    The prices do fluctuate here in the UK too. The 3950X is £680 GBP while the 3900X is £410GBP. As my budget for CPU, MB, RAM, PSU and Case is limited to around £900 GBP there simply isn't another £280 available for a 3950X. The price of the 3900X has moved in the right direction recently but not the 3950X. Still, no mad rush. I've been pondering about this for a couple of months already
    Kevin F Stubbs

    Remember...one size does NOT fit all

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    The prices do fluctuate here in the UK too. The 3950X is £680 GBP while the 3900X is £410GBP. As my budget for CPU, MB, RAM, PSU and Case is limited to around £900 GBP there simply isn't another £280 available for a 3950X. The price of the 3900X has moved in the right direction recently but not the 3950X. Still, no mad rush. I've been pondering about this for a couple of months already
    The 3900X is a very nice CPU too. Also, don't forget cooling. Theoretically you could use the stock prism cooler with the 3900X, with the 3950X there is no cooler included (water cooling recommended). But for both CPUs I would strongly recommend a Noctua or DarkPro cooler for lower temps and longer burst periods.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stavanger, Norway
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    The 3900X is a very nice CPU too. Also, don't forget cooling. Theoretically you could use the stock prism cooler with the 3900X, with the 3950X there is no cooler included (water cooling recommended). But for both CPUs I would strongly recommend a Noctua or DarkPro cooler for lower temps and longer burst periods.
    No need for water cooling with the 3950x - The new Noctua air cooler is better than most water coolers. I have now pushed mine to 10290 Cinebench R20, and done the Marbles render in under 17 minutes.


    Plenty of good CPUs om the market though, including the 3900x. You only need all those cores for render work.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,300
    yeah i was going to go for a noctura air cooled. ok?

  13. #28
    Good ones.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  14. #29
    Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    5,792
    I have the 3900X... and it's great. It's still hella fast compared to previous generations of CPUs, even if the current generation have faster overall models in the 3950 and threadrippers, so you certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

    As for cooling... I'm running mine on the included prism cooler, and it's perfectly fine (given a spacious and well ventilated enough case). Temps for me, when going full tilt continuously level off about 75C. Certainly if I were doing lots of rendering work, hour after hour, day after day, then I'd drop the extra £100 for a bigger cooler, as getting that temp down 10 degs would improve the CPU lifetime... but if you only hit 100% now and then, few mins or hours here, few there... then you ought be fine on stock..
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    yeah i was going to go for a noctura air cooled. ok?
    Yes, I run both a 3950X and a 3900X with Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 (16.50cm). However you'll need a different model for the Threadripper and the heat might be higher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •