Thread: Tunneling

Tunneling

I’ve got a question regarding a technique to change the transparency of an object to reveal it from +X to –X as if it’s being created. I think I’m making it harder than it is, so I thought someone might have a simple solution.

The object to be revealed is a tunnel (basically a hollow tub) that begins at the surface, angles downward at 45 degrees to its max depth, follows a straight path, and goes upwards at a 45 degree angle. I want to start the camera above the surface in a downward-facing perspective view, ending with a shot of the completed tunnel from the side.

This is being created in LW 2015 on a machine with no plugins, so I’d appreciate it if someone can recommend a Lightwave-only solution.

Thanks in advance!

CCC

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    I’ve got a question regarding a technique to change the transparency of an object to reveal it from +X to –X as if it’s being created. I think I’m making it harder than it is, so I thought someone might have a simple solution.

The object to be revealed is a tunnel (basically a hollow tub) that begins at the surface, angles downward at 45 degrees to its max depth, follows a straight path, and goes upwards at a 45 degree angle. I want to start the camera above the surface in a downward-facing perspective view, ending with a shot of the completed tunnel from the side.

This is being created in LW 2015 on a machine with no plugins, so I’d appreciate it if someone can recommend a Lightwave-only solution.

Thanks in advance!

CCC
    Are you trying to do a cutaway? That's kind of what it sounds like.

Perhaps use an object matte to expose (slice) your tunnel?

Yes, it's a cutaway with objects in front of behind the tunnel that will remain visible, so I just want the animation to depict the tunnel progress as it's being dug from right to left. I thought of exposing the tunnel using a distance from null (on the +X side) as one method, but am open to suggestions by the many creative, out-of-the box LW'ers here to see if there's a more elegant solution.

Thanks,

CCC

- Uv the tunnel and use an gradient map wich you animate via nodes as a transparency map

more complex object / multiple Objects
    Create a straight tube with multiple intersections wich is has a collapsed morph (scale to 0 in X)
    Use bones to bend the tube in the wanted way, and wich encompasses all objects you want to reveal.
    Animate the morph going from 100 to 0 to reveal the tube.
    Render the tube only animation from top down and use this animation as a clip map for all the objects.

(Morph will follow the bones deformation)

Thanks!

Your suggestion regarding segmenting the tunnel into three sections and morphing them in the X direction was the way I've been using. It works, but if I could animate the entire tube structure layer in another, more elegant way would be preferable.

UV'ing the tunnel and driving the transparency in the X axis via nodes sounds very much like what I'm after, but I would need an example to get started in the right direction.

CCC

<duplicate post>
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 03-12-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

You might have some success with Spline Control:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalRender0010.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	147063 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalRender0040.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	147064

Name:	FinalRender0080.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	147065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalRender0120.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	147066

MOV file: TunnelDigger_WithClipRegion.mov

The desired path of the Tunnel was drawn in Modeler as a curve (Add Points and CTRL-P), and the Tunnel geometry's length was matched to the length of the curve using Utilities=>Additional->Absolute Measure:

Name:	TunnelLengthUsingAbsoluteMeasure.jpg 
Size:	632.4 KB 
ID:	147068

One of the long edges of the Tunnel was copied to another layer, converted to a curve, then to Skelegons, and back to the original layer as skelegons for the Tunnel geometry.

In Layout, the Spline was created with Curve_to_Spline, which you may have to find and add to the menus. Convert Skelegons was used to convert the skelegons created for the tunnel in Modeler, and then all the Bones were assigned the Spline (Selection=>Select Children Recursively, then Motion panel). Bone.000 is then moved down the Z axis to grow the tunnel.

Name:	SplineControlOnTunnelBones.jpg 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	147069

I used RayCastGeometry to clip the tunnel above ground before it enters the ground along the Spline:

Name:	SplineTube_ClippedInsideClipRegionGeometry.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	147070

Good luck!

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 03-12-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Include scene file

Thank-you for the second time this week MonroePoteet! The example you provided is especially helpful.

I had to demo this effect last week and ended up using a morph which works well for some angles, not-so-good for others. The client was very pleased with the result, (the tunnel effect was a small part of the overall pre-viz demo) but I'm going to experiment with your suggestion and determine if the animation can be improved.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a solution and teach me a new trick!

CCC