Thread: Can NOT rename Vertex map

Can NOT rename Vertex map

Came across this issue today & wondering if the name "Model_UV" is somehow protected?

I'm digging back through some older assets. Early on I'd imported a model via FBX. FBX has issues of parenting & correctly instancing where as OBJ doesn't. The resulting geometry is exactly the same but I just discovered that the FBX items are given a default UV map of "Model_UV", whereas the OBJ items end up with a default UV map of 'uvmap'. So even after saving out each as a .lwo, the map names are retained. The Wiki states that a bullet following the name means that's the default UV map.

As a result, if I swap out the geometry in my scene, I can't just do a copy & paste of the texture in Layout as they're using different UV map assignments. I'm want to transfer the working texture from the left to the right is all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwoTerrains.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	146991

Back in Modeler, I can easily copy the items Vertex Map to itself with a new name which it defaults to incrementing as in _1. Thought I could simply duplicate the existing uvmap in the model needing the textures, which I can do, but I can't actually rename it to "Model_UV".

I'm going to try using some other interim name on both & see if that works, but thought this odd & wondering if there's a reason.

Thanks.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

I am not sure I completely understand your issue. But I have had trouble renaming uv maps. I believe I solved the problem by closing all objects and then reopening just the one I that contained the uv object I wanted to rename. I think there might be some issues with uv in other objects or old uv names interfering with the renaming process.

TrueArt Support
    If you have object in .OBJ format, load it, convert to .LWO, then save, and then you can rename vmaps.

Well, I resolved the issue but in a really stupid process.

No, you apparently misunderstood. Demonstrate for yourself by trying to rename any models UV map to exactly as I spelled it Model_UV. It won't let you.

But, you can name it anything else and that's what I did. In the Vertex Map panel, simply select your map Rt click & copy. Just OK that and NOW you can rename the new map to ANYTHING other than Model_UV. Now save your object and you can now use Surface Editor to Copy & Paste, but you then need to go in & select the map nodes used & change to the new UV.

Name:	Ack!Me_000_001.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	146992

In any case, it worked. Still had to copy over the Instance assignments & reset the Wt Maps as well, but that was only a couple minutes.

Name:	OldWest_WindmillCAM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	146993

This isn't fully surfaced yet, but I now have all the geometry that wasn't importing correctly before from the FBX. When I first started this was late 2017 or early '18 & was on a Win7 system. This shot took nearly a hour @ 1280x720 and didn't have enough gas in the tank to finish writing out an EXR.

This rendered on the Apex in under 1 min at 1920x1080.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

I guess I'm not understanding the issue either.

So I created a simple plane, created a UV map and named it mappy.

Name:	uv_mappy.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	146994

I saved it, closed it, and opened it again.

Then I went to Edit Maps > Rename vertex map and renamed it Model_UV

Name:	uv_mappy02.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	146995

Saved it, closed it, and opened it again.

The UV map is named Model_UV

Name:	uv_mappy03.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	146996

Then I went to Edit Maps > Rename vertex map and changed it back to mappy, then saved and opened it again.

It's mappy again.

So like I said, I guess I'm not understanding either, because it doesn't seem to care what I name the vertex map and doesn't seem to have an issue naming it Model_UV.

??

This is weird. Just tried on the same lwo that I was having issues with & now I can. Before I'd enter a new name & it would just bounce back to Model_UV.

OK, then. Well thanks guys for checking that out. Now I've another mystery of sorts.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666