Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did google just screwed up image searches even more?

Did google just screwed up image searches even more?

Well..not long ago they decided to stop the search functionality so you can not search by size specified, nor time range specified, and they removed the option to show image size on every image when results was showing.
    But you could still mouse hover over the image to get info on the image size.

Ok..but only the other day I also noticed now I can not even mouse hover over to get info on the image size.

Is it the same for you guys?

yep.

hope it is a glitch.   
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

use bing

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    use bing
    Canīt search the same way there, and you will not get the same results.

Itīs really incredible how google is screwing up every image service there is..
    First they dropped picasaweb wich was great, moved all to google plus, then dropped that, then removed these search options of custom time range and custom size, then removed tools show image sizes, then removed show size when mouse hover.

i was image searching myself today and noticed if you goto advanced search, you get the options.

edit.. still sucks, use bing, get image size options and image size overlay on thumbs.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 03-02-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    i was image searching myself today and noticed if you goto advanced search, you get the options.

edit.. still sucks, use bing, get image size options and image size overlay on thumbs.
    Well..that advanced has been there still for quite some time, but I think it only gives you the option to set the search, not filtering, and I donīt think you can get size info with that either, so itīs a meh on that.

Bing has it with info on sizes etc, but it can not filter the same way if you find an image and want to find similar images from the same country domain.
    Usually you can specify in the search field, site:se pr site:uk followed by your subject, and perhaps after:2020 and you get only the images from that country domain and after that period, but it doesnīt work the same in Bings search fields...so that is the problem for me sometimes with bing, if I choose similar images after a certain subject, it will pick from all countries, which I do not want all the time..but narrow down to a specific country, google still works with that, except for you do not see the image sizes, and can only specify large.

(not all the time...but sometimes)

if you click an image it moves to the right hand black pane area enlarged, if you hover over that image it displays the size in the corner
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Someone on here suggested https://yandex.com for image searching. I did, and quite frankly, the number of results (and decent results too) was way higher. Google has really died from that point of view. I still try it, but it often sucks... especially from a cg persons point of view where they are looking for reference and elevation images etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    if you click an image it moves to the right hand black pane area enlarged, if you hover over that image it displays the size in the corner
    I know that is how we can do it, but that actually didnīt work the other day when I tried it, it does now...however, it is way more tedious to click on the image, check right pane, over over it to get the size data, than to hover over the thumb images in the resulting page, and that in itīs turn is way more tedious than having image size presented on the thumb directly as it used to do.
    Maybe they are reworking it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptive View Post
    Someone on here suggested https://yandex.com for image searching. I did, and quite frankly, the number of results (and decent results too) was way higher. Google has really died from that point of view. I still try it, but it often sucks... especially from a cg persons point of view where they are looking for reference and elevation images etc.
    Thanks will try and compare that with google searches, you need to hover over the images but you get the size there ..just as google search used to have.

First impression of yandex, yes..sure you can go to filter and from there check image size, but you can only show recent, and in many cases you get zero results back.
    Also..yandex is slow, and it seems to collect from a lot of russian sites.

In yandex You can not specify a search range for"after:2020-02-01" which on google will give you all images uploaded after that, not sure if you can use another search string to get similar results?
    So it lacks severly in filtering by date.

And slow as hell, also...some results seem very unrelated to various search strings you set.
    Would probably prefer bing, or google as it is.

TrueArt Support
    Old methods of searching image were just basing on html image tag, name of image file, and website where image was used or linked. Later they implemented AI to analyze content of image.
    In old times people were just putting image on FTP and it had static creation date of image file. Now often images and content are dynamically generated when somebody visits website new one is generated, with new creation date, with new sizes which depends on resolution of web browser etc. etc. Therefor resolution, creation date, file size, file format are screwed..

I was using dynamically generated PNG file in PHP for e.g. making analog clock with auto-refresh.

https://www.php.net/manual/en/image.examples-png.php

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecreate.php
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-02-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    First impression of yandex, yes..sure you can go to filter and from there check image size, but you can only show recent, and in many cases you get zero results back.
    Also..yandex is slow, and it seems to collect from a lot of russian sites.

In yandex You can not specify a search range for"after:2020-02-01" which on google will give you all images uploaded after that, not sure if you can use another search string to get similar results?
    So it lacks severly in filtering by date.

And slow as hell, also...some results seem very unrelated to various search strings you set.
    Would probably prefer bing, or google as it is.
    To be honest, I see all these things as just tools in the box. If the only space it takes up is a link in a dropdown folder, then I'd rather have it than not. If you have specific functions, then you know which to use. Yandex offers quantity, and bypasses a lot of the restrictions google has been forced to put in place. I use all of the major image searches. I turn to others when I can't find what I need. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptive View Post
    To be honest, I see all these things as just tools in the box. If the only space it takes up is a link in a dropdown folder, then I'd rather have it than not. If you have specific functions, then you know which to use. Yandex offers quantity, and bypasses a lot of the restrictions google has been forced to put in place. I use all of the major image searches. I turn to others when I can't find what I need. That's all.
    Absolutely, better to have alternatives than not.
    I wouldnīt rule out Yandex either, it depends on what kind of images I am lookin for, some basic cloud searches will yield some interesting results I do not see in google searches.

Though still..i bit wonky with yandex, not sure what they do with the images, if you want direct download of the image size..you need to setup an account it seems and login in order to download it directly..otherwise there is of course the link to the site it is located at, but not a direct link to the image itself.

Most results I get from yandex, also seem to have been fetched a lot more from youtube, and instagram/twitter..than many other standard sites.
    Would be interesting to know the difference in search algorithms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast