Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lion King tips & tricks for modellers - MPC

The Lion King tips & tricks for modellers - MPC

nice... might be of interest 2 some here...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

[excerpt]

I'll watch this later on tonight (I've the 6P-6A shift again) but thought I'd toss this out...

https://www.alessandromastronardi.com/blog/

Alessandro did the hair on several of the key characters. Don't know if he's mentioned so keep an ear out.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I'll watch this later on tonight (I've the 6P-6A shift again) but thought I'd toss this out...

https://www.alessandromastronardi.com/blog/

Alessandro did the hair on several of the key characters. Don't know if he's mentioned so keep an ear out.

Wonder if he did these before he got to work on the Lion king..developed his own tools for hair in daz (look at my hair)
    And I wonder if he ever used that inside daz or inside some other software, or if he just used maya or something else there. I havenīt researched the VFX behind of the Lion king for the fur.

And how easy to style...darn, looks so simple and that was 2012 in daz with his look at my hair tool..wonder what status it has now and comparing to garabaldi.

I havenīt researched the VFX behind of the Lion king for the fur.
    they used an in-house tool.   

mpc furtility  https://www.google.no/search?&q=mpc+furtility

more info >
    https://www.mpc-rnd.com/the-king-has...-the-lion-king
    Last edited by erikals; 02-27-2020 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

they used an in-house tool.   

mpc furtility  https://www.google.no/search?&q=mpc+furtility
    Yes big productions techniques often use proprietary / inhouse tools but for some Lion King shots they also used plain C4D (but probably not for close ups, even if this would be possible with Ornatix).

https://www.provideocoalition.com/ci...rd-season/amp/

Ornatrix is a great hair plugin for major packages and render engines (not used in Lion King):
    https://ephere.com/
    https://vimeo.com/318990929
    https://vimeo.com/381613483

Edit: thanks for the info about Furtility, looks darn good!
    Last edited by Marander; 02-27-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Marander, thanks for the info about Ornatrix, it renders decently fast as well..but system dependent of course.

Furtility is out of our reach unless working with MPC.

I was really impressed by Alessandros styling of hair with look at my hair, i need to look where the development stands now though, and how smooth it can export to blender and lightwave.

When I look at alternatives, it feels like lightwave has fallen behind a lot since the introduction of fiberfx some years ago, the current workflow of adding guides and styling them in layout, as well as styling them as polyhains and combing etc..leaves a lot left to desire, and then we got the rendering, and surfacing, would be nice with a new hair shader with melanin options.
    And of course a proper weight paint tool in layout that isnīt some kind of poor tick coloring.

Fur is Fun
    some other stuff ..check from 0:54 in the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I was really impressed by Alessandros styling of hair with look at my hair, i need to look where the development stands now though, and how smooth it can export to blender and lightwave.
    I have LAMH and the LAMH iRay catalyzer but have only used it within DAZ. Some examples on my website in the character section, you know where ;-)

I tried to export via OBJ and FBX long ago and import into LW without much success. I can try again with newer versions of DAZ / LAMH / LW but don't have time for that currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I have LAMH and the LAMH iRay catalyzer but have only used it within DAZ. Some examples on my website in the character section, you know where ;-)

I tried to export via OBJ and FBX long ago and import into LW without much success. I can try again with newer versions of DAZ / LAMH / LW but don't have time for that currently.
    If you get the time, simply make a sphere and a simple groom with LAMH..export to obj foremost..and fbx also if you have time, send it to me by post or something..then I will do the testing, Usually I manage to hack imports and exports nicely.
    As for houdini obj hair exports to obj.. I processed it through blender then back to lw...so I would try that route with LAHM.

Wonder if he did these before he got to work on the Lion king..developed his own tools for hair in daz (look at my hair)
    And I wonder if he ever used that inside daz or inside some other software, or if he just used maya or something else there. I havenīt researched the VFX behind of the Lion king for the fur.
    Actually, he did. Don't know the specifics but his expertise at hair & animal physiognomy didn't go unnoticed.

Some time ago, I noticed I had all of these LAMH items in my DAZ content & hadn't a clue what they were. My Win7 system was deathly allergic to Iray so wasn't until I got the Boxx system that I could even look at the products. Noticed they were all animal related (my other passion), one thing lead to another & ended up having a brief correspondence with him. Got panicked when he got the gig at MPC but he assured me that LAMH wasn't abandoned & had some definite plans for V2.

I get to go home for awhile this Sat so have 5 months of updating & work transfer.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Actually, he did. Don't know the specifics but his expertise at hair & animal physiognomy didn't go unnoticed.

Some time ago, I noticed I had all of these LAMH items in my DAZ content & hadn't a clue what they were. My Win7 system was deathly allergic to Iray so wasn't until I got the Boxx system that I could even look at the products. Noticed they were all animal related (my other passion), one thing lead to another & ended up having a brief correspondence with him. Got panicked when he got the gig at MPC but he assured me that LAMH wasn't abandoned & had some definite plans for V2.

I get to go home for awhile this Sat so have 5 months of updating & work transfer.
    I think he released a free LAMH viewer, which also allowed for export of the items as objīs, but I am not sure how many presets there were to check out.
    https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player

If you guys could post a simple hair export, I would like to check how it translate to blender and lightwave.

I think he released a free LAMH viewer, which also allowed for export of the items as objīs, but I am not sure how many presets there were to check out.
    https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player

If you guys could post a simple hair export, I would like to check how it translate to blender and lightwave.
    Well, that's just it; what it works with in LAMH editor are RMan curves but the actual hair export is obj as well. A HUGE one at that w/o any wt. mapping. Usable in static characters but not for animating.

AM was hoping for a means to export the RMan curves in ver 2, but time will tell I suppose.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Well, that's just it; what it works with in LAMH editor are RMan curves but the actual hair export is obj as well. A HUGE one at that w/o any wt. mapping. Usable in static characters but not for animating.

AM was hoping for a means to export the RMan curves in ver 2, but time will tell I suppose.
    If the obj export works well in to blender, and using hairnet to convert to particle hair, then you will have the option to re adjust the hairīs step resolution, and also comb it, cut it, edit individual strands, add more strands/interpolate add...and change length add curl to that Original LAMH hairstyle....and make dynamic as you please.
    and as such you could also export it to a lover resolution back to lightwave...so I think it may be worth to use for animating if processed right.

I may install the free player later on(installing the Daz way isnīt my ideal choice of having fun) if the obj works, then a download is a must.
    ..but if you want me to check how it would work to get in to blender and back to lightwave as well..someone needs to post a sample for faster evaluation.
    Right now I am out to to the grossery shopping, but I could test when I get back if someone posts the obj sample.

But donīt post a full furry animal, I would prefer a simple hair cap with not too many guides.

When I get back North next week & at my main system, I'll put something together for you to try, unless someone gets around to that earlier.

Ya, DAZ is it's own religion. The full version of LAMH has an extra registration step is all & you need to uninstall the free version first.

If someone does, I'd suggest exporting both an obj and FBX out of DAZ. The FBX will have wt. maps for the hair.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast