Thread: Sony Visca RS232 daisy chain issue

Sony Visca RS232 daisy chain issue

Having a bit of an issue when trying to PTZ control multiple Sony Visca enabled cameras from my Tricaster Mini SDI running latested AE3 build.

I can control the first camera using ID 1 but other cameras in the chain cannot be controlled no matter what I set the ID to in the Tricaster settings.

Anybody got this working or is there a bug? I've checked the cables and they all are OK. What is supposed to happen is that each camera in the chain should automatically get a command from the controller to set it's ID (sequentially starting from the closest). So camera 1 is ID 1, camera 2 is ID 2 etc.

Brian

I don't believe the TriCaster will automatically set the ID on the cameras, it has been my understanding that you need to do this manually on the camera.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the reply Kane. The ID is something that is not settable via the camera menus but is normally sent via the RS232 data stream from the controller during the initialisation phase. So if this is not implemented as part of the Tricaster software, I will have to find a way to run a pre-config to the cameras before controlling them as I am not sure if the ID is retained during a power cycle. Not too tricky I guess except that obviously the little software app will likely as not have to run on my Tricaster and it may complain!

I'll look into it further and revert back once I've worked it out as this would probably be useful information to other Tricaster users in similar situations.

For what little it's worth, I think some cameras supply DIP switches to set the ID.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

What model cameras? Every PTZ I've seen has DIP switches or a rotary dial to set the ID.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    What model cameras? Every PTZ I've seen has DIP switches or a rotary dial to set the ID.
    Sorry Kane for the delay in my reply - been away on business.

Cameras are Sony EVI H100S and I cannot find DIP switches related to ID settings.

I'm not personally familiar with that camera. You might also check if you set this using the remote control (if it has one).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.