Thread: photos: jpeg or heic or...

photos: jpeg or heic or...

Hello, my post is not directly related to Lightwave but I thought I'd post my question(s) here to hear some opinions from this friendly bunch.

I'm in process of going through years worth of digital photos preparing them for a much overdue secondary backup, HDD+optical. I delete as much as I can without making my wife too mad, but I still end up with gigabytes of photos. I looked into more efficient alternatives and although there is no clear successor to jpg at this time there is a lot of talk about heic and some about jpeg xl. I tried an online tool to convert a few of my photos into heic and indeed they were significantly smaller.*My questions are:

1. Should I look into converting my jpgs into heic (or anything else) or is it better to wait at this time?
    2. Will I run into some unforeseen problems if I convert my photos? (editing, opening, future-proof, etc)
    3. Lossy -> lossy conversion, good idea vs keep originals/storage is cheap?
    4. Most if not all tools I found seem to be for heic -> jpg and not the other way around. Does that mean that the new format lacks support and/or is not ready for day to day use

P.s. I'm on a MS windows computer and cloud backups (especially the paid ones) are most likely not an option for me at this time.

Gigabytes? Terrabytes is what I got.
    Just get external drives, and several ones, and make a master and slave, or master and backup and make sure to have them identical, save nothing on your c:drive or secondary drive on the computer itself.
    Create a couple of accounts for hotmail, save backups to onedrive.

You could zip the files, do not mess with original jpgs and resave them..leave them as is.

But then again, paid backup on clouds not for you..then I am not sure you can afford the external harddrives either?

- - - Updated - - -

Gigabytes? Terrabytes is what I got.
    Just get external drives, and several ones, and make a master and slave, or master and backup and make sure to have them identical, save nothing on your c:drive or secondary drive on the computer itself.
    Create a couple of accounts for hotmail, save backups to onedrive.

You could zip the files, do not mess with original jpgs and resave them..leave them as is.

But then again, paid backup on clouds not for you..then I am not sure you can afford the external harddrives either?