Thread: Final Cut Pro X & 1080p 30 Video Exports - Audio Drops on Output Files

Final Cut Pro X & 1080p 30 Video Exports - Audio Drops on Output Files

I can't imagine I am the only person with this issue but tech support appears stumped.

I am running with a Tricaster Mini (HDMI) with the latest version of AE3. I shoot at 1080p 30. In the past I would simply grab the raw recording files off the Tricaster and bring them into Final Cut Pro. Since the latest AE3 update the codec used isn't compatible with FCP so I am now having to export all of my clips to ProRes first. My workflow is that I record a segment, drop it into DDR2 for review, select the files at the conclusion of the shoot and export to an attached SSD or my NAS drive as ProRes 422.

Files playback fine in the Quicktime player on the Mac, no issues. When working with the files in FCP, however, many (though not all) of the files will have the last 1-2 seconds of audio drop out. If I zoom the timeline in and out a few times they'll playback fine. Sometimes exiting and re-entering FCP will fix the issue for one file but create a new problem on another. This is on multiple macs and even occurs with proxy files my editor works with remotely. Exported files from Final Cut playback just fine. I have tried other codecs and get the same result.

Anyone else experiencing this or something similar? This was an issue with earlier versions of AE3 but I opted to just work with the raw recordings which I can no longer too. It's creating a real problem for my workflow here.

See if anything in this thread helps

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...300-SHQ2-Codec
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Unfortunately nothing in that thread is relevant to my issue. The codec pack is no longer needed because the Mac doesn't support Newtek's default codec any longer.. Exports to ProRes and Final Cut have been broken (for me at least) since AE3's release and I can't seem to get anyone at Newtek to rectify the issue. There's something wrong with how the Tricaster is closing files when exporting that is throwing off Final Cut Pro. Yesterday the issue got even worse as now my final exports are being impacted.

I was about to upgrade to the new 4k Mini but am now holding off as I can't justify the expenditure given this problem.

IIRC, the "default codec" for the TC is an XDCam variant. Maybe someone from NT will jump in here. I would try a system restore next. Hassle, but it will solve 99.9% of the bugs like this

The default codec depends on the version of TriCaster you are using.

For TriCaster Rev 2 thru Rev 7-0 systems, the default codec is the MOV/XDCAM variant.

Starting with TriCaster Rev 7-1, it has changed to the native NDI (MOV/SpeedHQ) recording system that supports growing files and uses almost no CPU in the process. However, since the codec is different, it has also changed the compatibility with applications. For the Adobe Premiere and After Effects, NewTek has written a plug-in to make these applications read the new format and it adds growing file support in Premiere.

In testing, I have found that using the TriCaster export tool to create MXF media works correctly in FCP-X. ProRes mostly works, but you do get some frames of audio cut off the ends of the clips in FCP-X, I'm not sure why. These exact same ProRes exports will work in Premiere or any other application with no issues what so ever, it not that the audio isn't contained in the clips, but that FCP-X doesn't like some aspect of them.

NewTek NDI Recording Formats.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.