Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Soft Body a Tree like This in Lightwave?

The standard issue way is to use animated turbulence or some other procedural texture for leaf rotations and a 2-point polygon cage to allow the tree to be easily animated without unwanted pinching or twisting. The workflow is very similar in every application out there. Bullet is actually pretty good for this because its capable of shape retention without an "encapsulated" mesh.

I don't even want to think about what Chris Jones went through to achieve even the most basic effects in his film; some of it would still be very hard to do even today.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 02-19-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Not sure it would meet up to the full requirements and complexity in tree motion, but a very simple approach is (providing you can use the same tree skelegon/polyline that was used for the meshing of the tree) if you for instance use dpontīs verdure tree generator, that would give you also the tree polyline which you either can use directly when used in layout, to simply metalink the tree to that polyline, then run bullet on the polychain and the tree follows, I have tried simple creation of coralls, used line pen for branch structuring, then used metaedges/balls to create the mesh, clean it up with reduce polys etc, the polyline will be there fitted and the mesh surrounding, then running metalink on it in layout and bullet soft dynamics on the polyline and some bullet windforces..worked nicely to have coralls swaying.

Now ..a different story if you already have a tree structure already made without any internal skelegon/polyline to use like that.

There is also an option to use ik booster, but I think that is a bit more tricky and not yielding the proper results ..mor fun to controll manually how something moves perhaps, and it would also require a skelegon creation based on polyline or individual made skelegons following the branch structure, could be used with wind forces and dynamics collsions withint the older legacy fx system, but more tricky to get realistic I think.

As for applying bullet, to a polyline dp tree, using deform and setting some shape retention etc, you need to go to the actual mesh and nodal displacement, double klick that to open, add metalink, and target it to the polyline that is affected by the bullet, so it will only affect that, not the actual mesh, but the mes will deform following the polyline.
    You could set weight maps for this polyline so it deforms slightly different or gradients, or you could fix it with some other bullet items along the root, main stem where it is less rigid.

And to note, if using the metalink to a polyline/skeleton inside the tree, displacementmap could also be used instead, but it wonīt be dynamic to any wind force, as long as it doesnīt need to react to any dynamics, the displacement only may be good enough for the "simulation" effect, it might be easier to controll also, since getting wind dynamics right with bullet bodies such as this would take some time to tweak and slower to work with in general considering calculation times.

For displacing only or mostly the top part of the tree, you can add a gradient set to alpha on top of the animated (ripple for instance) texture, and set it to object and reference it to a null placed at the trunk bottom, and you need to make sure to tweak the gradient size distance to object properly, then itīa matter of setting ripple length and strength and amound of waves sources, speed etc.
    Also..add another "wind" ref null...and reference your ripple texture to that, move the null sideways...this allows for the hole tree to sort of sway more globally in the "wind" otherwise you will only get ripple transformations locally on the tree.

it all works with metalink as well.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...You could set weight maps for this polyline so it deforms slightly different or gradients...
    In DP Tree, Line tree doesn't calculate weight map(s) by default,
    because fineness is computed while building the poly mesh,
    but if you render first a Poly or SubD tree and then switch to Line mode,
    Line tree inherits weight map(s).

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    In DP Tree, Line tree doesn't calculate weight map(s) by default,
    because fineness is computed while building the poly mesh,
    but if you render first a Poly or SubD tree and then switch to Line mode,
    Line tree inherits weight map(s).

Denis.
    Good to know, though that is the steps I do I think, then again..you could also try other manual weighting methods, wich would probably need a dummy mesh to see the weights properly, or use weight outwards plugin.

The lightwave team needs to implement proper weight display in layout soon, and some weight tools for it, commercial plugins for that "basics" isnīt what I personally think is acceptable.

Amazing !!! to think its amazing that Lightwave can do this kind of effects - Will use in upcoming project - thanks

hm, the description says soft bodies, and that was back in 2000, so might very well be SoftFX (?)

if so, might be good, as SoftFX calculates very-very fast.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Rough SoftFX test, not complete.

scene file test >
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by 3dhotshot View Post
    Amazing !!! to think its amazing that LightWave can do this kind of effects - Will use in upcoming project - thanks
    LightWave has some quite nice tricks for animation in general.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Rough SoftFX test, not complete.

scene file test >
    Yes, I was about to suggest that as well..and have also tried it a bit, though I go sidetracked by an accident behavior where branches were growing from the stem, which was a bit cools, sort of like fertilizer but not quite, it was in conjunction with using metalink, and in the deform tab of softFX changing vector limit/normal vector values, but since there is not way of adding an envelope on that or keyframing..itīs of no use, have to use nodal displacements for that trick as usual.

as for displacments vs a true dynamic soft body or softFX, I think the realism in general may be a bit comprimized with displacement in generall, no matter how you displace it.
    The sample tree animated have this varied rigidity, where branches sway under the influence of gravity, but sways back due to the previous stiffer branches, so it needs to take in consideration gravity as well as varied branch stiffness along the branches closer to the stem where they should be much more stiffer, hard to setup I think for each branch..not impossible I think but you need to treat fork levels differently..and then apply a displacement to move y-direction for simulating the gravity, it also needs to damp the swaying after intially moving, like the energy inserted by the wind force will drain out, unless continuously affecting it.

Guess weight mapping the tree in various forks is crucial no matter what, and for the end branches, the finer branches needs to be very loose.

I think the realism in general may be a bit compromised with displacement in general, no matter how you displace it.
    for strong wind, agree, then true dynamics is the way.

for subtle wind, which is mostly used, it should be more than good enough.

if we check professional cartoons tho' we'll see that wind is sparingly used overall, since it derails the attention of the viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

for strong wind, agree, then true dynamics is the way.

for subtle wind, which is mostly used, it should be more than good enough.

if we check professional cartoons tho' we'll see that wind is sparingly used overall, since it derails the attention of the viewer.
    Nah ...letīs push the limits a bit..0:44

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast