Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Soft Body a Tree like This in Lightwave?

And by the way...I just read the article for the passenger ..only right now.
    And of course..as I suspected too, old soft body dynamics, softFX

Canīt figure out why it took so long to simulate though?
    Oh yeah, I forgot...2000, and Iīm not so sure he ment softFX, could be clothfx as well.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Nah ...letīs push the limits a bit..0:44
    Yes, proves my point.  

also >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Canīt figure out why it took so long to simulate though?
    Oh yeah, I forgot...2000, and Iīm not so sure he ment softFX, could be clothfx as well.
    it took 8 years or so to make the short, so maybe the sim was made in 1996, + using a slow computer.

I don't have time to fine-tune the simulation or write up the sample scene thoroughly, but in LW2019 Bullet might work adequately:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_000.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	146932 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_038.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	146933 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_060.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	146934

Name:	Final_Render_120.jpg 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	146935 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_230.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	146936 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_350.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	146937

MOV file: Bullet_TreeInWind.mov

This was a very quick, rough setup using the DPVerdure DP_Tree plug in, using its defined weight map Branch-Fineness as the Deforming Body's mesh filter, having a Forcefield with a Turbulence procedural Strength and which oscillates between 0 and 180 degrees in heading:

Name:	Bullet_TreeInWind_DeformingBodySetup.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	146929 Deforming Body setup

Name:	Bullet_TreeInWind_ForcefieldSetup.jpg 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	146930 Forcefield setup

Name:	Bullet_TreeInWind_Forcefield_OscillateInHeading.jpg 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	146931 Forcefield oscillates in Heading

The Tree object had an Instancer to put Leaf instances on the branches, and a Particle Emitter to emit the blowing leaves.

Have fun!
    mTp

P.S. I forgot to mention the oscillating rotation nodal setup on the Leaf instances:

Name:	Bullet_TreeInWind_LeafInstancerSetup.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	146938
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 02-23-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Oscilating rotation on leaf instances

[QUOTE=MonroePoteet;1587464]I don't have time to fine-tune the simulation or write up the sample scene thoroughly, but in LW2019 Bullet might work adequately:/QUOTE]

Was wondering when someone was going to give Bullet a try for this.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    The standard issue way is to use animated turbulence or some other procedural texture for leaf rotations and a 2-point polygon cage to allow the tree to be easily animated without unwanted pinching or twisting. The workflow is very similar in every application out there. Bullet is actually pretty good for this because its capable of shape retention without an "encapsulated" mesh.

I don't even want to think about what Chris Jones went through to achieve even the most basic effects in his film; some of it would still be very hard to do even today.
    Didn't he make "The Passenger" with LW 9? It's been a while but I remember being very impressed and even more so when I read that he hadn't even used the latest version of LW at the time. Just persistence and talent.

Mighty Nice MonroePoteet !     

A bit too stiff on the main stem though, but understandable since the time given.

easily adjustable with a new weightmap.

Yes, putting various Texture=>Gradients on the BranchFineness weight map allows a lot of control. I found a little time yesterday to experiment - changing the Forcefield to oscillate in Bank rather than Heading works better, and putting Texture=>Gradients on BranchFineness for the Angular Stiffness and Damping channels allows the fine control over the entire tree structure out to the branch ends so they flail away while the trunk / main branches sway semi-naturally.

mTp

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Didn't he make "The Passenger" with LW 9?
    More like LightWave [6] or 7. 9 wasn't out until 2006.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    More like LightWave [6] or 7. 9 wasn't out until 2006.

B
    In the making-of Chris mentions only versions 5 and 6.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    In the making-of Chris mentions only versions 5 and 6.
    yeah, i'd bet that's the most accurate source.

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Yes, putting various Texture=>Gradients on the BranchFineness weight map allows a lot of control. I found a little time yesterday to experiment - changing the Forcefield to oscillate in Bank rather than Heading works better, and putting Texture=>Gradients on BranchFineness for the Angular Stiffness and Damping channels allows the fine control over the entire tree structure out to the branch ends so they flail away while the trunk / main branches sway semi-naturally.
    Short of saving the whole thing as a "compound" (which doesn't solve the bound texture & gradient issues), is there any easy way to save and reuse the dynamics configuration for other tree meshes?

<RANT: TL ; DR>

The LW devs really need to add something similar to MODO "assemblies" (or C4D libraries, whatever), reuse with LW is ridiculously frustrating compared to most other packages. These kinds of fundamental, "every few minutes" workflow disruptors might as well drive off potential customers with a stick. They might not be seen as a "glitzy features", but their absence become very obvious, unsightly omissions.

LFS is just not remotely adequate when it comes to saving/reusing sets of associated assets/node flows/settings. LFS gives no real indication what other entities in a scene are actually "related to" the entities you're trying to reuse, thereby turning the whole operation into a trial-and-error craps shoot -- and that's the best LW has to offer in that regard.

LFS could be (and should be) improved to better represent and work with "related entities", regardless. However, LW needs a more generic system for saving/reusing "bundles" of settings, assets, etc. that can be collected, organized, content-browsed, and "merged into" an existing scene (or used as a starting point for a new scene) on demand as needed. Even if LFS were "improved", it's still not really going to solve the "collected, organized, content-browsed" aspects needed for efficient librarian workflows -- but it'd still help reuse.

I said it at the LW2018 release, and I'll say it again: I think the LW team really missed a critical opportunity when bumping the LWO & LWS versions, by not also introducing something like an "archive bundle/fragment" file format capable of containing LWO files, LWS "fragments", and other image/map assets in a single structured "archive/directory with internal manifest & metadata file(s)" (think Java JAR, OSX .APP or .bundle, etc.).

</RANT>
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-24-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Sorry for the rant, but I find LW's incredibly limited facilities for saving/reusing these kinds of setups very frustrating (and judging by how often related complaints have been raised, so do many others).
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-24-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast