Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Buy 1 get 2 free sale!

  1. #16
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,208
    Quote Originally Posted by kievi View Post
    Sorry.
    I said that with the greatest respect. If I read your name here, I know that a contribution follows with a lot of specialist knowledge.

    So I thought you used it for work.
    but i take my hat off knowing what is going on here in the forum.


    best regards

    kievi
    No worries
    I have absolutely no use of it for any work commercially, I am just addicted to it..hard to let go of that drug, and it cost me money and wasting time..staying up too late at nights til I drop

    Seriously, thank you for showing that kind of respect and thoughtfulness, so many folks are confused ..thinking me using it for work I did once, but I only did that a short time for a company and with sections that wasnīt my passion in the 3D field anyway, though I think I have some special skills here and there good enough for some things..but I am not sure I will be able to push it to that direction someday, weīll see.

    So with a little of that in mind, it is making more sense to look in to open source software, if you kind of feel that Lightwave maybe is taking too long to catch up in many areas, had I a studio with clients going on or still working for a company using Lightwave, it would probably be a different story.

    Financially I could probably afford Lightwave updates, itīs a matter of priority though, and previously Lightwave has kind of been "relatively" unthreatened by other open source software, but times have changed the recent years.
    I am astonished how great the advances has been in the other open source software, I think it was only maybe in 2017 I realized that it is changing so much that I can not afford not learning that software as well, for a hobbyist it is really a no brainer, and yet you may be able to compete on the commercial platform as well.

    If you are a hobbyist liking lw in general, which I do..and have a decent economic situation ..you can have both, but then again..once the other software erases more and more of what it canīt do..then the incitament to actually pay for a Lightwave license will be decreased consequently.
    If the economics is tough for a hobbyist, use open source.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    915
    (Raises hand from trench)
    1 get 2 free is cracking deal though..


  3. #18
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,208
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    (Raises hand from trench)
    1 get 2 free is cracking deal though..

    A generous offer indeed, Iīll give him that, and also..he has a very pleasing voice to listen to and seem to instruct well, pedagogical, and also seem to have thought the lessons through before presenting it.

  4. #19
    Frequenter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by kievi View Post
    my first, and so far my last try on scripting.

    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/441181
    Love it! :-)

  5. #20
    Frequenter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    425
    First off: Ryan makes VERY, VERY useful stuff - be it his little helpers or the vast amount of insight he is sharing. I am really glad he is around and provides what he does.
    Even if it comes with a price tag, though. But thatīs to be expected, and at least for me; was worth every penny I spent on it in the past. If you can justify the money, buy it. Thats my recommendation here - the Bullet Tutorial is clearly on my list, even if I might have to pass the great opportunity he shelved out for this month.

    And a word or two about pros vs. hobbyists: You cannot value the contributions of the hobbyists around here too high. I have the deepest respect for all them. Often enough they are the users that push the boundaries of the software, offer insights and are willing to spend tons of time to help others who are asking for solutions.
    I consider myself a pro just because I earn my living by it, but there are so many cases where I have to admit that the hobbyist enthusiasts know so much more about quite some things going on under the hood of the software than I probably ever will. This forum is great a good deal because those hobbyists make it a place filled with knowledge, enthusiasm and spirit. I really do hope that NewTek/VizRT are able to recognize that.
    ...just my 2cents

  6. #21
    Angry Mac User Otterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    First off: Ryan makes VERY, VERY useful stuff - be it his little helpers or the vast amount of insight he is sharing. I am really glad he is around and provides what he does.
    Even if it comes with a price tag, though. But thatīs to be expected, and at least for me; was worth every penny I spent on it in the past. If you can justify the money, buy it. Thats my recommendation here - the Bullet Tutorial is clearly on my list, even if I might have to pass the great opportunity he shelved out for this month.

    And a word or two about pros vs. hobbyists: You cannot value the contributions of the hobbyists around here too high. I have the deepest respect for all them. Often enough they are the users that push the boundaries of the software, offer insights and are willing to spend tons of time to help others who are asking for solutions.
    I consider myself a pro just because I earn my living by it, but there are so many cases where I have to admit that the hobbyist enthusiasts know so much more about quite some things going on under the hood of the software than I probably ever will. This forum is great a good deal because those hobbyists make it a place filled with knowledge, enthusiasm and spirit. I really do hope that NewTek/VizRT are able to recognize that.
    ...just my 2cents
    Really? I find the opposite. As a pro I don't have time to ponder and debate every detail of Lightwave and strategise what Newtek?VizRT are planning next. To me theres a certain few who just dilute this forum into unless twoddle. It's not constructive at all.

    I don't know why I still frequent these forums, Guess I'm waiting for lightwave/lightwave user base to inspire me again into using it.

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    cologne
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Love it! :-)

    :-) Thanks

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    cologne
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    No worries
    I have absolutely no use of it for any work commercially, I am just addicted to it..hard to let go of that drug, and it cost me money and wasting time..staying up too late at nights til I drop

    Seriously, thank you for showing that kind of respect and thoughtfulness, so many folks are confused ..thinking me using it for work I did once, but I only did that a short time for a company and with sections that wasnīt my passion in the 3D field anyway, though I think I have some special skills here and there good enough for some things..but I am not sure I will be able to push it to that direction someday, weīll see.

    So with a little of that in mind, it is making more sense to look in to open source software, if you kind of feel that Lightwave maybe is taking too long to catch up in many areas, had I a studio with clients going on or still working for a company using Lightwave, it would probably be a different story.

    Financially I could probably afford Lightwave updates, itīs a matter of priority though, and previously Lightwave has kind of been "relatively" unthreatened by other open source software, but times have changed the recent years.
    I am astonished how great the advances has been in the other open source software, I think it was only maybe in 2017 I realized that it is changing so much that I can not afford not learning that software as well, for a hobbyist it is really a no brainer, and yet you may be able to compete on the commercial platform as well.

    If you are a hobbyist liking lw in general, which I do..and have a decent economic situation ..you can have both, but then again..once the other software erases more and more of what it canīt do..then the incitament to actually pay for a Lightwave license will be decreased consequently.
    If the economics is tough for a hobbyist, use open source.
    You said what I always tell my wife. 3D and modeling and so on, that's really addictive. Sometimes I walk through the city and see polygons everywhere.

    I couldn't do anything with Blender for a long time. I have only been trying to understand it again since 2.8. And yes. It's a great program and the new workflow has gotten a lot better.

    But
    Blender is a terrific 3d program.
    Lightwave is a piece of film history, it is a 3D monument

    Blender can't give me that feeling.

  9. #24
    Frequenter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Really? I find the opposite. As a pro I don't have time to ponder and debate every detail of Lightwave and strategise what Newtek?VizRT are planning next. To me theres a certain few who just dilute this forum into unless twoddle. It's not constructive at all. ...
    Well, of course there have been and always will be a lot of threads that turn into a waste of time real fast... And I am not saying that everyone around here is an asset to the commumnity. But undoubtedtly there are a good number of very constructive members among us and they are by far not only pros for that matter. And like always in life: you have to pick what does you good and avoid what causes harm... ;-]

  10. #25
    Super Member Kevbarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    515
    bought :-

    1 BULLET DYNAMICS FOR LIGHTWAVE
    2 RR TOOLS
    3 UNREAL BRIDGE FOR LIGHTWAVE USERS

    - Just sayin
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

  11. #26

    for the curious ones, all tutorials i've bought from Ryan have been worth the cash. so if you're thinking of buying them > do it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  12. #27
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,208
    Quote Originally Posted by kievi View Post
    You said what I always tell my wife. 3D and modeling and so on, that's really addictive. Sometimes I walk through the city and see polygons everywhere.

    I couldn't do anything with Blender for a long time. I have only been trying to understand it again since 2.8. And yes. It's a great program and the new workflow has gotten a lot better.

    But
    Blender is a terrific 3d program.
    Lightwave is a piece of film history, it is a 3D monument

    Blender can't give me that feeling.
    Yahh..a bit troublesome and clearly 3Dholic when the girlfriend calls at you from the bed, and once you jump in, you donīt see the flesh, only the wireframes.

    I wouldnīt be surprised if there isnīt many similar mechanisms as to what happens in Gaming addiction.

    May have to look at Ryans training stuff anyway and see what I may have missed.
    As for blender Lightwave, a bit time consuming to work in both, and also ever so slightly houdini, and a lot of other graphic software, you really need a mind of focus.
    Sometimes I can feel that this life is too much of a life in front of a computer, maybe I should call it a day, do something else and be outside more and what else comes with gaining access to time not spent in front of the computer, but then itīs like a candybox...full with 3D addictive sugar.

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    cologne
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yahh..a bit troublesome and clearly 3Dholic when the girlfriend calls at you from the bed, and once you jump in, you donīt see the flesh, only the wireframes.

    I wouldnīt be surprised if there isnīt many similar mechanisms as to what happens in Gaming addiction.

    May have to look at Ryans training stuff anyway and see what I may have missed.
    As for blender Lightwave, a bit time consuming to work in both, and also ever so slightly houdini, and a lot of other graphic software, you really need a mind of focus.
    Sometimes I can feel that this life is too much of a life in front of a computer, maybe I should call it a day, do something else and be outside more and what else comes with gaining access to time not spent in front of the computer, but then itīs like a candybox...full with 3D addictive sugar.
    I think, my wife has beautiful polygons. :-)

  14. #29
    Registered User Oldcode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    453
    Looks like a great bargain Ryan! I already have most of the other stuff of yours I need, but I want to get your Bulllet Tutorial as soon as I can, and the Character Animation Tutorial looks like it could be useful.

  15. #30
    Registered User gdkeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    205
    I really like his tutorials. He has a dynamic presentation style, not flat, and gets right down to what you really need to know. So you're left with a foundation on which to keep learning more if you want. And it is information you can't really find presented so clearly and concisely anywhere else. Making my way through the Python tutorial right now, very practical and informative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •