Thread: Entering the world of digital music again. with open source, vst synths, soundfonts

Entering the world of digital music again. with open source, vst synths, soundfonts

Well..
    Suddenly I got some little inspiration out of the blue to ...start rig up some digiial tools for doing som minor tracks, background music and jingles.

It Was many years ago since I had my creative tools soundblaster card and soundfont editing, and cakewalk rigged..all that setup with the Roland D50 synth (not optimal since it was considered being slow, lagging for midi control..which I also experienced)
    I know there is a VST D50 synth out there as well, would be nice if it could retreive data from my Real D50 synth, havenīt checked how well the D50 performs and costs etc.

The typical sound of the Eno DX7 synth would be nice to have as vst as well.

Now, I have yet to look in to the hardware and a potentional new midi keyboard, will do that later..but I was mostly initially wondering what main Midi sequencing software you guys would recommend.
    Initially I will take a look at open source or freware, but it may expand in to getting either the real deal with Cubase, or an alternative that isnīt that costly.

Right now I am playing around with Cantabile Lite..which is mostly just fun to try out, but has not recording options since it being lite, and no midisequencer as I am aware of, so I checked
    LMMS 1.2...which seem to be rather nice ..at least for me at this stage...works with the vst plugins I got, soundfonts works, export to wav and mp3...a little tricky sometimes to handle the track notes though.

So if you would recommend another midi sequencer..I would be grateful to hear about it.

Would also like to get some info on VST plugins for Good instruments, and also good soundfonts, not just instruments ..but also soundeffects in general.
    midikeyboards for a decent price and midi to usb konverters since My Asus G20 Rog wasnīt designed with midi ports in mind.

Right now I am trying to gather some vst synths ..instruments and soundfonts, so a lot of going through and testing, some is crap, some is really nice, I like the rolend PG-238 very much to have those fat fretty synth sounds.
    Mt powerdrumkit 2 is nice as well.

As for music inspiration for me, much ambient music, brian eno, roger eno..vangelis, peter gabriel, u2 , kate bush, john carpenter, yazoo, Hans zimmer, John williams, wagner, elliot goldentahl, alexandre desplat. ..and much more.

Thanks in advance for any input.

oh..I think vst dexed is modeled after dX7, and that one I got, there may be a better one though.

Cakewalk is now free.

That may also tell you about the current market for this type of software.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Cakewalk is now free.

That may also tell you about the current market for this type of software.
    Yes, I saw it was on a site, though it was ranked way lower than LMMS..

"
    That may also tell you about the current market for this type of software."

Ambiguous..

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...Ambiguous..
    The effect "B" has had on the 3D app market is not unique. Similar things have happened in the audio market. A lot of expensive DAW, sequencers and notation programs have dropped pricing because of so many free or lower cost options (LMMS, Audacity, Rosegarden, Ardour, Musescore).

I recall Cakewalk being $250+ USD before it recently went free.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The effect "B" has had on the 3D app market is not unique. Similar things have happened in the audio market. A lot of expensive DAW, sequencers and notation programs have dropped pricing because of so many free or lower cost options (LMMS, Audacity, Rosegarden, Ardour, Musescore).

I recall Cakewalk being $250+ USD before it recently went free.
    Ok..thank you for being more clear.
    No hurry for me, I can take my time testing a lot of the options..will probably stick to the free alternatives until I get a better situation economicly and while also getting back in to mixing the music, that will also
    prepare me for what I then will know I would need better.

I would need to spend some on a proper midi keyboard first, since my Roland D50 isnīt ideal with itīs know midi lag, to bad though..I had a special expansion card mounted inside the synth for the roland D50, which makes hit have a more fat fuller sound.
    I think it was this M.EX card ..giving more tones and patches to play at the same time.
    http://www.musitronics.org/products/d50_d550_mex_e.html