Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Entering the world of digital music again. with open source, vst synths, soundfonts

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Yes, I noticed that trend too when researching controllers last year.

It's because of all the loopy kids. They don't need a larger keyboard: only one or two octaves, which they transpose on the various tracks that they are working on, one at a time. No need for two-handed playing.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't even need to register Reaper after 60 days: it will continue to work, and display a nag-screen before starting a session. I only registered it last month.
    Thanks for the heads up Rayek.
    Two hands is a must to sync the full range, in a timely good sense, doing it by loops...nah, that I donīt think will tap in to some of the better levels of music, not saying there are wiz kids that could do magic, but I think it will not tap in to the same kind of creative dimension as using two hand in full range, itīs a kinetic connection as well as a hearing memory.

I looked into getting the Aelsis Q88 keys, which was also quite affordable, but misses all the knobs and assignable MIDI controls.

Also, you MUST visit a store to actually try the keyboard and its 'feel' while playing before making a purchase. And even then you may decide after a few days that the keys do not feel right for your particular style of playing. The guy who sold me the Alesis told me that he gets a lot of returns within a week because it is only after really playing for a few days that you can decide whether it feels right or not. And he's right, of course.

In my teens I got used to those super-light springy keys, and Piano keys felt a bit too heavy for me. The Alesis feels just right, though. Heavier key action, and the after-touch is just brilliant. After-touch generally is only available with much more expensive controllers, in particular combined with quality keys.

I have had M-Audio controllers in the past. Very flimsy quality and keys, but I hear they've improved somewhat. Not a fan of the key action, though.
    Maybe I only need one key
    A genius at play, performing the work from another genius...0:52 (bummer, owner deactivated play in embedded links.)

London Olympics..chariots of fire..(you know who)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzjlmBLfrQ

As for the feel of it, yes..I mentioned I need to try it in a store, but then again..not until you play it with your desired instruments and the way you play it, can you tell for sure.

Had I only opted for the 80īs vince clark ala yazoo style, I would probably use only a claviature close to a standard D50 synth, I liked if for some synth sounds, and strings, but not for the piano style sounds.

I am in love with synths as much as 3d since i was 15, a long time ago. If you like the greek master take a look at me80 vst (a yamaha cs80 replica) not free but inexpensive and very good. Another good clon is opx free, in this case of an oberheim obx. If you need a very long, lexicon like, reverb ala vangelis, try valhalla or replika.

On the daw side i am with cakewalk for the last 25 years. And now it is free. Absolute no brainer here. It is the lightwave of professional audio.

Quote Originally Posted by joseba View Post
    I am in love with synths as much as 3d since i was 15, a long time ago. If you like the greek master take a look at me80 vst (a yamaha cs80 replica) not free but inexpensive and very good. Another good clon is opx free, in this case of an oberheim obx. If you need a very long, lexicon like, reverb ala vangelis, try valhalla or replika.

On the daw side i am with cakewalk for the last 25 years. And now it is free. Absolute no brainer here. It is the lightwave of professional audio.
    Yes, loved Vangelis since before blade runner even.
    Reverb, can be good with most decent reverbs, I think I got some nice tweaks with the rolend pg 238 as mentioned before, but you do not want to do overkill so to speak, the decay should somehow have inherited decay within they synth sound itself ..and just a slight reverb touch.

Thanks for the VST suggestions though.

yeah..love a lot of the movie style of music or soundcarpets..so it goes from

Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, daniel lanoi, U2, kate bush, harold budd, Vangelis,
    Jerry Goldsmith..(alien) and much more.
    some James Horner. (aliens, coocoon, braveheart)
    John Williams (no words)
    Hans Zimmer, the thin red line, gladiatior...and much more.
    Eliott Goldentahl (Titus)
    Alexandre Desplat (benjamin button)
    Michael Nyman (gattaca)

And a lot of other more popular mainstream music, I love first aid kit for instance, and what do you know ( Robynīs electro techno pop)..love some of her tunes from the latest album, like "missing you" and "never again"(much prince inspiration in both of them) and she got a little recognition...best song of the decade.
    https://www.scandinavianman.com/news...-rolling-stone

Yes, noticed cakewalk now was free, but it was way below in rating compared to LMMS, thus I didnīt check it out, but perhaps I should.

Cakewalk vs Reaper
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...walk+vs+reaper

Hans Zimmer    
    John Williams    
    Vangelis    
    Last edited by erikals; 02-24-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by joseba View Post
    If you like the greek master take a look at me80 vst (a yamaha cs80 replica) not free but inexpensive and very good.

Yes..will look at that one, I already mentioned the track close up from the movie birdy, and his modification of his track family snapshot, first time he used Yamaha cs80, love the electric piano on that..
    https://equipboard.com/pros/peter-ga...ha-cs-80-synth

And for vangelis, really interesting to listen him talk about how much music sort of in his mind is destroyed ..in the sense that it holds music hostage within the required success needed to sell records in the industry, I can sort of agree with him and disagree at the same time.

He has quite different views on music and what music is and what we are... than many others, refering to nature and cosmos and harmony etc, and he really can tap in to that primal nature cosmos like no other...so who cares about notes.

I believe Vangelis never bothered to learn traditional musical notation? I think I read somewhere he can't read music either.

He's been using assistants to transcribe his music on paper. In interviews he made his disdain over musical theory and notation quite clear, if I remember correctly.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Great interview.   

Saved!

I believe Vangelis never bothered to learn traditional musical notation? I think I read somewhere he can't read music either.

He's been using assistants to transcribe his music on paper. In interviews he made his disdain over musical theory and notation quite clear, if I remember correctly.
    Indeed, still canīt read notes, he would probably not fit in to jam in bands etc, but due to his radar to tap in to himself and nature, he can also extend that to his fingers and to the keyboards..and reaching those places inside of us that chimes with most of us as harmonic and beautiful, some have it and some donīt..even though he says everyone has music in them, because we all are music to some degree, and I can see that as being true.
    there is another interview in later years where he talks about that as well..

I recall he was stating in one interview, an earthquake when he was a child, the sound from it Stays in his memories and he is able to tap in to that bombardistic patters of vibration and sound...Nature you know, and if done right, it will speak to us all in the same way, so no wonder he is most cheered for his sound, even though his not a true scholar in the music business, he is a true deliverer of Music in essence.

Would like to see him do music with Benny Andersson from Abba, and Mike oldfield.
    Benny Andersson cant read notes either..and took only 3 piano lessons

the very first time I recognized him ..that was with carl sagans cosmos, then bought the albums..
    heaven and hell
    albedo
    Spiral
    Beaubourg
    Soil festivities
    Chariots of fire
    Blade runner
    Antarctica

Dont have them all, havenīt heard all from him either..but pick up some here and there.

This one is good as well..Jeremy Irons introducing him in al jazeera.

this would also be cool...

easier...

Last edited by erikals; 02-24-2020 at 01:17 PM.

meanwhile...

elsewhere...

erikals, a few of those riffs I didnīt recognize..like sunglasses at night, river flows in you.
    And I missed yazoos donīt go (loved that upstairs at erics album)

Billie jean.. I purchased the vinyl single, axel f as well, and the whole tubular bells album, Mike Oldfield is of course another favourite of mine, tainted love ..I loved at the time, canīt recall if I purchased the single though.
    The swedish and norwegian hits, never escaped me either ..though I didnīt buy any of them.

Back to some Vangelis philosophy..
    Quote..
    "“Every time a sound comes out of my hands, it has been and is always instinctive.
    There is no thinking and I don’t have any preconceived ideas or any preconceived plans or construction.
    I follow this flow until the music doesn’t need me any more.”

– Vangelis Papathanassiou"

I like his take on it, though I wouldnīt exclude other approaches as thinking or building up music more structured according to some theories..but he has a point, when you do not comprimize with your gut instinct and feelings by thinking and stopping that instinctive notion, you may be able to tap in to the cosmic vibrations within you, and I think that is clearly shown in Vangelis music...and to no surprise how good it affects so many people in the world to be cosmic and beautiful.
    If he were to adapt to another genre though, not so sure that approach would be the best approach.

Vangelis has been the foremost inspiration for me and often used in the background playing when I was doing some personal projects with nebulas in Lightwave, what he shares in music and sound an vibrations should then reflect back and resonate within space art, one artist and artform triggers another.

And while we are talking about vibrations and cosmos, and combining that with 3D viz guys which also have a very good perception of music and sounds...

a cover of the cs80..
    For the vangelis sounds, check timeline at 35:32 in the clip and the brass strings for the the blade runner signum...

get a mininova synthezier...pics and sounds coming...SOON!
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition with NDI Camera, LightWave 11.5 + SpeedEDIT 4.2
    Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com
    Available in The NewTek Store: https://store.newtek.com/index.php/content/soundtrack-bundle.htm

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast