Thread: surfacing using Distance to Object clones question

surfacing using Distance to Object clones question

I'll try to explain it the best I can. I have an object all one color, then a bunch of 'Distance to Object' layers stacked in a color layer node pointing to each null with specific falloffs. Cloning those nulls for more copies makes the object loose the naming in the layers because Null_A becomes Null_A(1) It gets complicated pretty fast. I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a wildcard type surface, that will know to use ANY "null" or name. That way, the null can be animated and offset in time to see fit. Say, moving along a spline on the object for highlights or different color effects. Like flares moving along a chain, but with ones offset behind or in front of it. I don't use UV's too much, so I usually do this type of effect with lights or surface nulls. Thanks for any ideas on this!

Also, it gets even crazier making duplicates of the main object that references all the nulls!

Here's a very simple setup using only 2 nulls for the look. But I'm adding a lot more nulls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SimpleSetup.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	146863

Now that I'm thinking about it more, what about a distance to surface? I could attach spheres to the nulls so like a boolean, anywhere they contact would be the updated surface. I could look into DP kit more. But I've had older issues with render farm issues and crashes. Maybe it's worth looking into for my sanity.

Maybe you can use point lights with falloff and no shadow. They can move around and affect any surface with no complicated setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Maybe you can use point lights with falloff and no shadow. They can move around and affect any surface with no complicated setup.
    Thanks Ztreem. I may go this route. Although the point light would be traveling inside the shape, so I can get it to work inside by flipping the polys and using a seperate pass. I think I used to do this method a long time ago. But at least cloning lights works immediately, and not having to go through the surface mess. It's definitely workable and faster. Thanks!