Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave slogans for the next generation of Releases.

and by the way he did that with LW2018 which was buggy with no real noise reduction options and also a bug in the noise itself, and he still managed to get something that good looking on a shoestring with a totally new engine, so I would argue the reverse and this is a massive positive for both lightwave and what its users can accomplish.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    No that doesnīt make sense at all..I dare to state not out of context, it is in context to him being in a small studio, where the previous renderer would have worked, he also says that.

And to clarify..If lightwave is to be considered to be production proven only for ILM and the likes, then I need to change software after midnight.

Lightwave-production proven within the ILM environment, and if you can afford the hardware, if you are a single small studio..look for something else...Thatīs just great.

Quote..
    "
    David Ridlen

The extreme noise occurred with any soft reflections. To have reflection with the PBR material, Glossy Reflections must be enabled. And if you use Standard material with reflection, you need a bump texture to soften reflections, but then the same noise occurred. The old Reflection Blur worked without noise. "
    And you managed to take that out of context too!!??
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    and by the way he did that with LW2018 which was buggy with no real noise reduction options and also a bug in the noise itself, and he still managed to get something that good looking on a shoestring with a totally new engine, so I would argue the reverse and this is a massive positive for both lightwave and what its users can accomplish.
    Great...I have no arguments against that, except if you read what I also mentioned, reflections (glossy reflections)and fireflies may not have been relevant for the shot at all, so the incitament of 2018 being worse in that regards but still managing to produce result falls a bit flat...but neither you or I know that for fact, at least not I..if you have it all explained for you by David, you are welcome to enlighten us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    And you managed to take that out of context too!!??
    Beats me what you are talking about, if you talk about someone talking out of context, you do so by providing why it is out of context..seems pretty fair isnīt it...or should we go in to a discussion mode based on ambiguouty?
    just to prove someone isnīt managing.
    all that would be quite pointless for me and as well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I've worked with Mental ray, Redshift and Mantra. LW is like a dream compared to those.
    This interests me. Could you tell me in your opinion in which domains LW native renderer is better than Mantra ? I have recently started to learn Houdini but don't have used Mantra much, as I am mainly exporting to LW for rendering. So any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Love Me or Leave Me.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    This interests me. Could you tell me in your opinion in which domains LW native renderer is better than Mantra ? I have recently started to learn Houdini but don't have used Mantra much, as I am mainly exporting to LW for rendering. So any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Canīt speak for cageman obviously..
    for me..no experience with mental ray, or red shift, and no vray...vray and octane seems to be the talk of the town though.

Some notes from me with the little experience I got with mantra, and mostly volumetrics which maybe isnīt that much of reference to go by..but

Not sure in which area Cageman feels Lightwave to be a dream vs Mantra, he didnīt provide examples on where mantra is a nightmare, which it has to be at some point...for using the ipr, the ipr initial start is extremely slow, while lightwaveīs vpr kicks in directly..in houdini it takes many seconds, but ..when tweaking vpr...you can not pause..and if you happen to run a browser for checking reference or just switch to explorer window with data..and then back to vpr waiting to see it finish itiration...Lightwave vpr starts all over from scratch and you have lost all that iteration time...this frustrates the hell out of me with Lightwave, blender has a pause button for it, so does Houdini and mantra, you pause it and resume it anytime you need and want to.

Itīs bit sad they couldnīt refine on what fprime did good back in the days, it could pause and refine, very useful for me to paus and show collegues a draft of a machine, then get an okey..then just continue to refine it by resuming the render in the interactive renderer, then of course the saving to disc and resume quality there as well, and thereīs kind of over 10 years since fprime could do that.

For volumetrics, mantra has a better light propagation model I think, though Lightwaves seem a bit faster, depends on with the settings, mantra has much more settings to deal with quality of volumetrics.
    Sometimes though ..depending on zooming out a bit and not having the ipr full size, and then changing light propagation in houdini, I think it is easer, faster to get a respons in the ipr and how the volumetrics look.

As for pain in the....Lightwave is absolutely horrible when rendering fiberfx in terms of speed, I pick blender cycles anytime of the day for hair, even the cpu mode in cycles is quite a bit faster than Lightwaves cpu, and the gpu even much faster..the render speed of fiberfx is probably the number one dislike I have for Lightwave 2019.

I donīt have any real good number one positives for 2019 though, not that doesnīt also includes issues in quality or speed..which we didnīt have with the older engine, only that some stuff is indeed interesting but needs more development, and then of course the history of how it works structurally for me..which I mostly like over any other software...but that isnīt something new for 2019, rather how it has refined over the years..(that said..some workflows got worse, nodes, and accessing textures..displacements, distributing volumetrics on to points..which they screwed up completely.)

Not sure if the thread is served best when it start to go in to topics of where Lightwave is terrible, or where it shines.
    Would be nice to have some Shining examples that can be translated in the short slogans.

Lightwave ..the second name is Reliable, the tool that is the missing link/puzzle in major pipelines etc. (generally..not always, but you canīt say it like that either)

I would say it depends on someone's knowhow / skills.

I rendered a quick sim in Mantra yesterday and it was very easy, quick and painless even for the fact that I have very limited knowhow in it. And the new engine is soon coming in Houdini anyway.

I use Cinema Standard / Physical, Vray, E-Cycles, Cycles4D and Redshift and LightWave depending in what I do.

They all have pros and cons but LW is definitely not my first choice for most things.

That’s why I asked Cageman his inputs. My first experiments with Mantra, especially with smokes and fire have been rather positive. So I am eager to have his inputs from a studio POV. I of course think you use what tool suits you most for a specific task. I am used to use several different renderers, including Unreal and Toolbag, and I have tested some exotic ones like Appleseed HQ, but for what I like to do, I often end up with LW native because I am comfortable and fast with it and I like its results. As for Karma in Houdini, I haven’t tested it yet, but it seems not to be ready yet from what I read on SideFX forums.

That’s why I asked Cageman his inputs. My first experiments with Mantra, especially with smokes and fire have been rather positive. So I am eager to have his inputs from a studio POV. I of course think you use what tool suits you most for a specific task. I am used to use several different renderers, including Unreal and Toolbag, and I have tested some exotic ones like Appleseed HQ, but for what I like to do, I often end up with LW native because I am comfortable and fast with it and I like its results. As for Karma in Houdini, I haven’t tested it yet, but it seems not to be ready yet from what I read on SideFX forums.
    Again..I am not cageman
    For me though..I can not say for sure, need to evaluate it much more, but my first expression is that for smoke and fire I feel blender cycles being faster..and also easier to control, there is issues though with the actual simulation quality that I think can be harder to solve than houdini which seem to deliver without those issues, but it may also be a matter of my skillset as well.

The frustration is mostly about when you start the mantra render for the first time..a couple of seconds, it sort of has to calculate/generate the scene before the render actually kicks in, in both Lightwave and blender cycles you donīt have to wait for that, In houdini once you tweak with the ipr refreshing, itīs not the same though.

LightWave 2020 - Elvis has left the building.

LightWave 2020 - Autodesk won't touch it

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    LightWave 2020 - Autodesk won't touch it
    Ouch!
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

two edged

Lightwave 2020 - Coming out before EIAS 10!
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Lightwave: Are we there yet?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast