Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OSCARS 2020-Whats hot and not?

OSCARS 2020-Whats hot and not?

so, ucomping sunday night the oscars is here again.

What do you know about the movies, nomineeīs`? I myself is really lost on the movie scene today, hardly visit the Cinemaīs and I havenīt followed the buzz either, but still some interest in it.

Best film bets?
    Best Movie?
    Best VFX
    Best Production Design?
    Best Original score
    Best Actors?

Those are the ones that I kind of follow a little bit more I guess.

I have no idea but I'm watching too promising ones the next upcoming weeks

- Jojo Rabbit

best VFX... ? Star Wars ?

https://oscar.go.com/nominees
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Some heavy weight actors there this time, the ones I know little about is Cynthia Erivio which I no absolutely nothing about and florcence Plough, next margot robbie a little known, the rest of the actors I am well aquinted with on the movie screen that is.
    Saoirse Ronan I have always liked, and Anthony H, and Tom H of course, wouldnīt be surprised though if Joaquin takes it all...that without having seen any of the movies etc, but it just seems to be such a hype around that movie, and I know he can perform fantasticly..at least he did in Gladiator.

Scarlett Johansson has the put her eggs on two positions, leading role and supporting role, god...I wonder if she has some kind of heritage with our family, mostly danish..but I think her grand-grandfather was swedish, where the last name comes from..johansson is also my grandfathers name..but itīs a long shot, her grandfather migrated to denmark and I think he was not born in the same area my granfather lived at, could be something even further back, itīs just that I think she has a typical look that also could be found in some of my relatives.
    Or I am just wishing

for VFX, well avengers VS star wars I reckon, runner ups for lion king,1917, and the irishman...the irishman isnīt at first glance something I would have guessed be in there, must have something to do with a lot of vfx to cover that time.

yeah, not impossible Joaquin makes a home-run.

as for the other ones, i've no idea really, other than i heard great things about Adam Driver's Marriage Story.

Scarlett Johansson = Love her  

erikals, I think youré gonna love this breakdown.

Kevin Baillie is going through all the nominated best visual effects movies here, so I have gotten a good picture now.
    • Avengers, seems a lot has to do with AI algorithms to further enhance facial mocap, then a lot of other stuff..personally I think itīs really looking good and I think it will outbeat starwars, but
    • then I could also put my bet on the ..
    • Irishmen, cause de-aging isnīt easy either I reckon.
    • Starwars is more like making the best of comping the cg with live effects..and a new water system...donīt think it will beat avengers though.
    • 1917 donīt think so..
    • The lion king..The third contender for beating Avengers...as he describes it, itīs really an acheivment to have that full cg environment and all the cg characters to feel so natural, it might be that the lion king takes it all home.

But I have only seen some trailers of all these movies.

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Parasite for Best Picture and Best International Picture I saw it five times at the cinema last year and gopt more and more out of it each time.

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Yah I saw Parasite and it really is a good movie. I'd agree Best Picture and International Picture, maybe even Writing too - it had some great moments
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    • Avengers
    • Irishmen
    • StarWars
    • The lion king
    Hard to say, i don't feel that there is a clear winner, they are all good, but none of them revolutionary.
    Top Notch, sure, but not revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Hard to say, i don't feel that there is a clear winner, they are all good, but none of them revolutionary.
    Top Notch, sure, but not revolutionary.
    Yes, would be interesting to have the Academy present a description on what criteria they look at the most in order to select the winner, the amount of challenge the VFX presents, innovative value,
    or how well it blends with other elements in the movie in order to fullfill the vision?
    Avengers looks spectacular and has AI machinelearning as a possible "innovative" factor, but so does the Irishman, and the Lion King looks spectacular as well, I think itīs gonna be a hard pick as the presenter also says.

havenīt heard a single tone from the movies nominated though, I loved Alexandre Desplatīs beautifully conducted music generally, especially Benjamin Button then he is up agains the Master Legend himself ..John Williams, mentioning a single soundtrack would be dishonering him
    Then Thomas Newman, loved the american beauty soundtrack, shawshank redemption, the green mile, and of course Meet joe black was masterly.

actually, the Terminator Dark Fate had a some Fantastic shots of Arnold+Linda+Edward computer generated...

if i was to give One sequence the award, that would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    actually, the Terminator Dark Fate had a some Fantastic shots of Arnold+Linda+Edward computer generated...

if i was to give One sequence the award, that would be it.

And compared to the irishman, if you have seen it?

as for dark fate, havenīt seen it yet...thanks for the reminder.

grab some popcorn and watch it at the cinemas  

a fun late night movie.

the effects, i'd say they are better in Terminator DF, compared to The Irishman.
    Irishman is hours of effects tho' so a bit unfair that way.

This year, the Swedish television is once again back to airing the Oscars...after some years only showing it on their internet channels.
    Good for me, since I never watched it when it was on internet only..havenīt set it up to be able to stream to my large tv, and I also didnīt like the quality ..some time also lagging in streaming.

So tonight Iīm gonna watch it again, thatīs 02:00 AM late night or early morning so to speak..but I am wide awake then, and thereīs a small storm going on over Sweden now..so perfect to watch during that, guess the small storm is over norway as well.

guess the small storm is over norway as well.
    oh yeah,..
    just strong wind in Oslo, as usual, we never have storms here.  

think i'll skip the Oscars, and just watch the result instead...

we'll see...  

Meh...thought it was a bit dull, and too many commercial breaks.

The Only parts I liked...
    The original song "stand up from "Harriet" I didnīt like Elton Johns song though.

3 gorgeous Heroines on the stage together, Gala Gadot, Sigourney Weaver...and a really knockout babe ..Brie Larsson, Gala and Brie..they were praising Sigourney on the stage for being their role-model or someting.

Havenīt seen all the performances from the actors, seeing Rene as Judy ..I can understand why sheīs got it.
    And the same with Joaquin, only a few glimpses of him is enough to know his skills, he all got choked up when having his speach remembering his brother River Phoenix...also some conscious speech which was good, though I am a heavy drinker, he seem to be a modest guy anyway.

As for best film, Bevee got his pick to win
    fun to see Parasite win it, considering how the Academy must be represented by mostly Americans and people having a close connection to the other repsective films, they managed to choose a less established film and all that comes with that.

original song, from what I heard I liked the atmosphere in 1917 (Thomas Newman)
    What surprised me was that 1917 won for best visual effects..I dinīt see that coming.
    I think when they presented visual effects some years ago, they did so with more time and introduction..for each film showing what in particular the challenges was, that is sort of gone now..and only some short glimpses of the effects are shown.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast