Thread: ILM Behind the Magic: The Rise of Skywalker

ILM Behind the Magic: The Rise of Skywalker

ILM Strikes back

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

No one outside the fx community knows how much Wadi Rum scenery there is used in various sci-fi movies, it slipped in to this movie as well.

yes, i'd also add that this is one of the best breakdowns i've seen.

this -making of- goes through everything from A to Z.

a keeper, imo.

also fun to see ILM in action.   

Hohum..derkl.
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition with NDI Camera, LightWave 11.5 + SpeedEDIT 4.2
    Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com
    Available in The NewTek Store: https://store.newtek.com/index.php/content/soundtrack-bundle.htm

Bummer, had to look at some clips from the movie, and I havenīt seen the movie yet..so that was a spoiler with uggly quality ..and I now know what happens..and as I suspected, palpatine behind it all.
    I simply love Ian McDiarmid as the emperor..in a different way than I love Daisy Ridley

Except for his initial apperance on the Return of the Jedi..where I think his makeup looked better than when he was getting deformed later, his performance in a few sequences in the Revenge of the sith, when he seduces annakin..begging him to use his powers etc, and plotting that the jedi order is betraying palpatine and democracy, really love that part...you really see the extremely evil calculating and manipulating persona of the highest dictatorship.

As for the latest movie "rise of Skywalker" not sure how I will feel about the story the acting etc...the effects look very nicely done though, but I need to see it big time.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ..and as I suspected, palpatine behind it all.
    Possible the best thing about the movie is, that this is revealed in the crawling text at the beginning...especially since the trailer already spoiled it

...why they had to film at wadi rum is honestly beyond me....
    Last edited by tischbein3; 02-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    Possible the best thing about the movie is, that this is revealed in the crawling text at the beginning...especially since the trailer already spoiled it

...why they had to film at wadi rum is honestly beyond me....
    I really love the cliffs/landscape in wadi rum, but it kind of is getting worned out and overused in the movies now, for anyone knowing about wadi rum and that constant use of it in movies, it kind of lowers the imagination
    of being transported in to other worlds, itīs like they have a great asset that they can re-use without too much cost or something that looks good....guess they canīt find any other real world cliffs, landscapes that displays the kind of other wordly structuring, and full cg would be to much of work and may go to unreal..so they seem to kind of settle with that approach I think.

I am recalling Ridleys fascination of that area as well for the Prom movie, and he liked it so much and wanted it a bit more closer to earthly look than any extrem new world look..it worked ok I think, but I also think it could have woken
    a more out worldly experience if they implemented a bit more of the concept art, but hard to tell for final results, the only real photage we sort of got from un-earthly places is the moon and mars, and mars display similar mountain structures as well..though different, but not extremely different.

But perhaps the majority of the audience will not react to it being wadi rum, nor recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    yep, they had to "play safe" i presume.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Except for his initial apperance on the Return of the Jedi..where I think his makeup looked better than when he was getting deformed later
    agree, the old one was the best one.

As for the latest movie "rise of Skywalker" not sure how I will feel about the story the acting etc...the effects look very nicely done though, but I need to see it big time.
    it is alright, nothing spectacular, but alright.