Thread: YouTube Live Stream issue and NewTek Communication to Users

YouTube Live Stream issue and NewTek Communication to Users

Today I could not stream live to YouTube on my TC1. After contacting Newtek support they said Google changed the API (whatever that is). And I had to go make a custom setting. Well after doing that and realizing this workflow required me to start YouTube Live stream in a web browser as well as start the stream in the TC1 Session. So it's no longer just a simple push of the button in the TC1 session. I understand problems will occur, but it would be great if Newtek would communicate when a problem of this significance occurs so user can plan accordingly instead of showing up to an event and things don't work. I assume this problem is with all TC1 units sine the Newtek support person said it's due to a Google change?

So is this problem occurring on all TC1 systems?
    Is there a forum or a Newtek notification service that does give users a heads up on significant issues?

I appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Thanks,
    Jeff

TC1, TC1SP Control Panel, Panasonic AW-HN130 Cameras

What version of software are you using?

I just upgraded last week to the latest. I believe it's 7-1-200116 but not 100%. I can't access the unit again until later this week.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

We encountered a similar issue yet with the following error: Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PD).

What's odd about this is that we use RTMP and not their API.

OP, did you encounter the same issue/error?

Best,

Yes that is the same type error I received. I was told by the Newtek support person that this was a Google change that has caused this problem. Does anyone know if this is for all TC1 or Tricasters?
    Does Newtek not have any way to communicate an issue like this with users? It would be great if Newtek let users know about an issue as soon as they know.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

A recent Youtube API/UI change appears to have broken the Youtube streaming presets in /all/ AE3, TC1 and 410Plus TriCasters. Presumably NewTek will release an update to fix this at some point.

But in all honesty if you really want reliable streaming you would be better off using a real CDN rather than YT (or Facebook for that matter). This isn't the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

I just tested this on my 8000 running the AE3 from 12/23. Worked fine, no errors.

Now, I didn't do a refresh or log out/in. My program profile had been set over the weekend, so it may have predated this error.

Any thoughts?

I know about how YouTube and FB both change their API's without working with their clients to mitigate the transition.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast

Yes, I can understand the reliability issues with using a free streaming service. But does Newtek not have a way to notify it's users if a feature on the TC1 (like live streaming) stops working?
    Is there a forum or a Newtek notification service that does give users a heads up on significant issues? It would be as simple as "Hey every one using the TC1 - YouTube has changed some settings so the streaming service will not work through the TC1 in its normal manner. We are working to resolve this. Here is a work around (if one is available)."
    This would give the user some valuable information in a timely manner that might help avoid an issue in an upcoming live event.
    Thanks, Jeff
    Thanks,
    Jeff

There have been times that information has been posted on the forums about issues. I'll admit it probably could be better, maybe put an official heading on the message.
    Last edited by kanep; 02-06-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok, so the 7-1-200116 on 8000 definitely broken.

I can manually enter the parameters via custom stream but very inconvenient.

Hopefully, fixed soon NewTek? I know that it's those nuckleheads at YouTube that caused it so not blaming anyone in SA!

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Andrew Carlson
    I have never had a problem using the "Custom" setting...using the URL and KEY that YouTube provides to you to do the LIVE streaming.

The trouble for me comes when I try to log-in to YouTube through the TC and use an "EVENT" or LIVE option. It will have to trouble logging in....so I'll delete the preset and it will ask to LOG OUT. I will then create and new preset and log-in again. Then I will get the "quota" error.

Also, I would really like to use "EVENTS" but this requires you to start the event on the TC and then start the stream through a second computer WEB BROWSER.

Hopefully "Custom" will continue to work without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I know that it's those nuckleheads at YouTube that caused it so not blaming anyone in SA!
    We're not throwing stones, Fritz, but we're doing what we can.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'm assuming that it's fixed in the 7-1-200210 release? It seems so according to the release notes.

Thanks!

Fritz

Once more into the CPU!
    This is also a problem in AE2 on my TC SDI Minis.
    TC Mini SDI 5-1-190425
    -BlackMagic Studio Cam
    -SDI cables
    -Spark SDI
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SKHSVideoProduction

FYI streamed without issue in New AE3 build, 7-1-200210.

Seems to be fixed. Now just wondering about the features noted in Readme about next time a CDN changes their API and what the process to get a patch into TriCaster quickly.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications