Thread: NDI Tools 4.1 Virtual Input is terrible and unusable

NDI Tools 4.1 Virtual Input is terrible and unusable

I was in a high pressure environment recently and had to do a fresh install of Skype and NDI Tools 4.1 on a laptop.

I was running a Windows 10 Machine with a 2ghz Quad Core processor and 8GB RAM. My video input was the NDI HX PTZ camera connected to the LAN via a switch. I used a USB DAC for audio in from a mixer (with wireless mics).

When Skype was running with Virtual Input 4.1, my Skype video feed would keep stuttering and flat out freezing. It wouldn't even pick up where it left off - it froze permanently! I had been testing this setup previously with NDI Tools 3.8 and never had any issues, so to experience this was maddening. In Task Manager I would see the cpu between 90% and 100%!

I updated PTZ Camera to the latest firmware today (VHR120P). While the freezing doesn't last quite as long, it's still there and is unusable from a production standpoint!

I was able to find a copy of NDI Tools 3.6, and after an uninstall of 4.1 and installation of 3.6, the Skype feed is flawless! I then uninstalled 3.6 and (mercifully) found a copy of 3.8 on the web after a long search, and again the Skype feed is flawless. My CPU is running at a normal 40-50%. Virtual Input 3.8 is down to <10% from 30-40% on 4.1.

I implore NewTek to make all legacy versions of NDI Tools available to download. If I could have downloaded 3.8 in a pinch, I wouldn't have had a terrible production experience, and nearly give up on this production setup altogether.

I agree, make them available with a disclaimer saying that they are legacy software. Same goes for the android camera app.

Quote Originally Posted by boyler View Post
    I was able to find a copy of NDI Tools 3.6, and after an uninstall of 4.1 and installation of 3.6, the Skype feed is flawless! I then uninstalled 3.6 and (mercifully) found a copy of 3.8 on the web after a long search, and again the Skype feed is flawless. My CPU is running at a normal 40-50%. Virtual Input 3.8 is down to <10% from 30-40% on 4.1.
    Sorry to hear of the issue you encountered, but I'm writing this to suggest you put together a detailed bug report, including relevant system details ... for example, gfx card and driver.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I did a little (very little) testing and I wonder if the frame rate might have something to do with this. Skype runs at 30fps, but if you are feeding a 60fps it might be overloading what Skype can handle.

In the testing I did, there was no freezing or dropping, but the the source did become more lagged over time. I've not had a change to test more, I was to try a 30fps NDI source and see if that works better. One question, did the issues you describe happen away or after things were running for a while?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.