Thread: What graphic card are you using for LW native denoiser?

What graphic card are you using for LW native denoiser?

I'm planning to buy a new computer and I'm not quite sure what graphic card I should choose. For sure it will be a Nvidia, but should I buy a Quadro (which is professionel, but is it really necessary?) or would a GeForce also do?
    I'm not a gamer, but I would like make use of the GPU-denoiser of the native LW-renderer.

So what are your experiences, what graphic cards are you using für GPU-denoiser that really work and do you know what the current card would be to meet the requirements?

Thank you!

There's a topic on Facebook where someone is having an issue with 20xx cards but it seems to work fine for me on a newly acquired rtx 2080. Beware that there are no settings for the GPU denoiser. I've had some junk noise spots left over on a few renders.

There are many denoise options, even without a card. Check out this one... https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...93#post1586093
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quadro's unnecessary... LW cant take advantage of it's abilities.

I've an RTX 2060, which thus far seems just grand.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

For LightWave, a Quadro card is waste of money in my opinion. Quadro's are good for CAD applications like Catia. And the NVidia Studio drivers don't support LightWave anyway.

I have GF GTX 1080 (ASUS Strix ROG OC), GF RTX 2070 Super (KFA2) , GF RTX 2070 (noname), GF RTX 2080 Super (ASUS Strix ROG OC) cards, they all work well with LightWave. No issues with the GPU denoiser. But for the denoiser alone and LightWave in general you don't need such a fast card (I use them for Redshift). The denoiser is just a short step at the end of the render process.

If you want the best price / performance ratio, get a RTX 2070 Super. If you want a very fast card for a reasonable price, get a RTX 2080ti. If you want fast GPU rendering (Octane, Redshift, E-Cycles), you'll need 2 or more fast GPUs.

Instead get a fast Ryzen 9 CPU for LW (I use the 3950X and 3900X CPUs and they work very well for LightWave rendering).

Servus ins Tirol!
    Last edited by Marander; 02-03-2020 at 08:20 AM.

I think the issue is its just slower on the 20 series cards, because LW still uses optix 5.1, 7.1 was written to make use of the new cards (uses the rtx and tensor cores), somebody mentioned on a 20 series card it has to load a large 200mb dl file for each render so there is a pause that some see as a long freeze, I think it also stops it working on the progressive render in vpr and only applies it at the end rather than each pass of the progression.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

any regular GTX card should do just fine.

put cash in CPU instead. (Ryzen 3900)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I've got a fairly expensive NVIDIA Quadro P4000 at work and a cheap GeForce GTX 1050Ti at home and there is no discernible difference in performance while using LW. Denoiser works equally fast on both.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Thank you guys for the all the interesting replies,
    I think I will choose a GeForce RTX2070. It has 8 GB and 2304 CUDA cores (600 CUDAs less than the RTX2080, 384 CUDAs more than the cheaper RTX2060) but is not as expensive as a RTX2080.
    Hm, Optix 7.1 is an argument. I have to live with it. Besides I use Houdini more and more and it can work with Optix denoiser too. I don't know what Optix version is supported in Houdini 18, but I would presume it's up to date.
    Yes, Ryzen would be nice, but I'm bound to the PC-Configurator of my vendor, I don't build it on my own. I would like to configure an HP Workstation Z1 G5 and they only use Intel.
    So thank you very much everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiboy View Post
    Thank you guys for the all the interesting replies,
    I think I will choose a GeForce RTX2070. It has 8 GB and 2304 CUDA cores (600 CUDAs less than the RTX2080, 384 CUDAs more than the cheaper RTX2060) but is not as expensive as a RTX2080.
    Hm, Optix 7.1 is an argument. I have to live with it. Besides I use Houdini more and more and it can work with Optix denoiser too. I don't know what Optix version is supported in Houdini 18, but I would presume it's up to date.
    Yes, Ryzen would be nice, but I'm bound to the PC-Configurator of my vendor, I don't build it on my own. I would like to configure an HP Workstation Z1 G5 and they only use Intel.
    So thank you very much everybody!
    The RTX 2070 is outdated (and almost not sold anymore). You should really get a RTX 2070 Super / RTX 2070 S card - it is almost as fast as a RTX 2080 (Standard) and has 2560 CUDA cores at the same price as the old RTX 2070. If there is a company now in 2020 still selling the RTX 2070 (Standard) that is not a good sign.

Since you're not building yourself, maybe this (Swiss) company delivers also to Austria: https://www.brentford.com/
    They're specialized on render machines and have a good reputation and service with moderate prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    The RTX 2070 is outdated (and almost not sold anymore). You should really get a RTX 2070 Super / RTX 2070 S card - it is almost as fast as a RTX 2080 (Standard) and has 2560 CUDA cores at the same price as the old RTX 2070. If there is a company now in 2020 still selling the RTX 2070 (Standard) that is not a good sign.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for the information!
    I will have a look at Brentford. Thank you!

ive been using rtx 2080 and gtx titan

get an rtx 2080 minimum, if you do anything demanding. I notice a huge difference between the titan and the 2080.

don't forget cpu. get the fastest single core multi-threaded cpu. you need the threads in 2018+ but you also need very quick single core speed too.