View Poll Results: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Want this Forum

    66 66.00%
  • I want Facebook

    5 5.00%
  • I want this Forum renewed

    47 47.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 135

Thread: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

  1. #61
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    AFAIK there is only one "official" Lightwave FB page and that is as dead as a door nail. The "unofficial" Lightwave FB that is moderated by Andrew Comb and others is very active and interesting, but is not run by Newtek.
    Even more scattering of Light..Wave.

    I am convinced it would be a step in the right direction to dismantle everything Lightwave related from the newtek forums and put it under the Lighwave page, to consolidate all topics and resources under one page, would be easier to sync galleris as well, plugins, news, tutorials etc.

    On the lightwave page, you wouldnīt need to have gallery and community, you would only need community, and then gallery directly under that and in the header of the forum.
    Everything would be easier to link and access.

    Thought it was enough with a split app

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    On the lightwave page, you wouldnīt need to have gallery and community, you would only need community, and then gallery directly under that and in the header of the forum.
    Well the gallery on the Lightwave page is a "vetted" gallery whereas on the forums anything can be uploaded.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  3. #63
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Well the gallery on the Lightwave page is a "vetted" gallery whereas on the forums anything can be uploaded.
    There is no one limiting Vizrt to be creative about it..that is, 3-4 thumbs of the final gallery on the left side of the forum header, a small divider..then to the right 3-4 thumbs on the forum header of the W.I.P gallery and clicking on any of that will lead you straight to the post from the author.

    Heck to make it easier they could even add text labelsl under the header images, sorting final from W.I.P thumbs..just to make it clear,
    thus All of hot interest from final gallery and W.I.P gallery can be seen instantly, and accessed in the most smoothest way possible, as opposed to lookin for the gallery sections in the whole forum, then threads,
    and as opposed to going to another site lookin for the top art, they could also consider removing finished gallery in the forum section.since there already is one on the lightwave 3D page.

  4. #64
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,045
    Is there a more official FB page than this?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwfb.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	146819

    It is moderate-able by NT employees (not sure if they bother to moderate the group).

    The Facebook group currently has 3,653 members. This forum (for all NT products) has 90,434 members. What seems like a main discussion area? If you feel like you're missing out, do something about it.

    If there is something of substance on either platform, it usually leaks over to the other.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwfb2.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	146820


    With no offense, this poll is silly. The votes are already cast by the numbers of users that use each platform. Most people on this forum will vote for this forum. Most people on Facebook will vote for Facebook. There is absolutely no surprise in the results. One might as well ask kids if they prefer ice cream and old people if they prefer fiber supplements and multivitamins.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  5. #65
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,243
    As for more vicinity, if you assert facebook is the place to be because of all the people using it...I would think that Youtube activity would matter more with proper tagging for showing results to many other 3D interested people, but they seem to not have much to display over there for a year, but then again...seems like foundry/modo is equally good at updating it, unless there is something new to show from develpment..little is done by themself and let the community do the rest.

    Edit...modo has updates on their youtube site 5 months ago, not one year as I thought.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    There is no one limiting Vizrt to be creative about it..that is, 3-4 thumbs of the final gallery on the left side of the forum header, a small divider..then to the right 3-4 thumbs on the forum header of the W.I.P gallery and clicking on any of that will lead you straight to the post from the author.

    Heck to make it easier they could even add text labelsl under the header images, sorting final from W.I.P thumbs..just to make it clear,
    thus All of hot interest from final gallery and W.I.P gallery can be seen instantly, and accessed in the most smoothest way possible, as opposed to lookin for the gallery sections in the whole forum, then threads,
    and as opposed to going to another site lookin for the top art, they could also consider removing finished gallery in the forum section.since there already is one on the lightwave 3D page.
    Yeah, I think making it a little more difficult for a potential customer to "find" the forums is probably a good thing.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  7. #67
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Is there a more official FB page than this?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwfb.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	146819

    It is moderate-able by NT employees (not sure if they bother to moderate the group).

    The Facebook group currently has 3,653 members. This forum (for all NT products) has 90,434 members. What seems like a main discussion area? If you feel like you're missing out, do something about it.

    If there is something of substance on either platform, it usually leaks over to the other.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwfb2.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	146820


    With no offense, this poll is silly. The votes are already cast by the numbers of users that use each platform. Most people on this forum will vote for this forum. Most people on Facebook will vote for Facebook. There is absolutely no surprise in the results. One might as well ask kids if they prefer ice cream and old people if they prefer fiber supplements and multivitamins.
    Your entitled to think it is silly, I do not and the poll is there...you could argue about the value when posting in itīs respective forum/or page, but it also emphasize the importance of the use of the forum to some degree..and raises question wether or not it could be better implemented, for those uses using the forums..here, and also in blender forums..you can clearly tell they have arguments on why they feel it is more useful for them to use the forum style, for facebook they will mostly have other arguments..both those side may fill their purpose.

    You could also take a look at the ratio in facebook forums where there is a multiple choice and see if facebook users would have the same ratio between facebook and the forum as the ratio is in this poll.
    My father would definitely pick ice cream by the way..so that kind of reasoning falls flat

    You could see that maurrocor is promoting a renewed forum for instance, since he feels facebook gives more and faster feedback than the lw forums, the question is What it is that facebook does to give him that experience..and if suggestions here would help improve to give these forums the same experience.

    I think there will be an issue with Facebook alianating users from eachother, I would never be able to give maurrocor any feedback on his artwork there, and those using facebook solely will not engage in here with those users being here.
    Wether or not if my feedback would be of any value or not based on who I am and what I know is however quite irrellevant for the general issue of alienating users.

    The question must be asked, why are people migrating to facebook? to get away from certain users here that constantly post topics of little of interest for the use of Lightwave, or they can not get feedback on their artwork fast enough because these forums doesnīt bother about highlighting artwork (suggestions been made how to deal with that)
    There are probably more arguments for sure.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Is there a more official FB page than this?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwfb.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	146819

    It is moderate-able by NT employees (not sure if they bother to moderate the group).
    Its not the official Newtek/VisRT Lightwave Facebook page. For the longest time it was titled as the Unofficial Lightwave support group, but Chuck gave permission to change the title. Most likely because their page was and is - as I said earlier - dead as door nail.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  9. #69
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,243
    I am not sure...is there a way to sort facebook community to be in group sections instead of each post from every person thrown in your face?

    I think the facebook experience for me would be better had I an option to view the community within dedicated sections, and not having each post fully visible? with information I do not care about.. either it is something I donīt know how to set, or it isnīt possible..and in such case itīs not for me, as I can see it..the official facebook page has Photos, videos and community with postings..but no sections around dedicated topics.

  10. #70
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    ...dead as door nail.
    The official LW FB page is not dead. It has been regularly announcing the release updates. The official page is for marketing the program, not for support. It is appropriately set up as a company page to be liked/followed. It is not a group page.

    https://www.facebook.com/LightWave3D/

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwfb3.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	146821

    Conversely, the support group is a Facebook group that allows members to post support problems or anything else that amuses them.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  11. #71
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...raises question wether or not it could be better implemented...
    Right. I'm suggesting you raise the specific questions necessary to effect change. Asking for those to affirm "I want this Forum renewed" doesn't offer any concrete data as to what should be done to renew. Sure, the finer details are being discussed in the forum but it becomes messy data that is difficult to analyze and prioritize. There are better ways to present these requests to NT.

    https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  12. #72
    Registered User ianr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chiltern Riviera
    Posts
    1,458
    A LARGE problem in Lightwiki .. is very Good tips & workarounds seem to get ploughed Under.

    Occasionally something is made a sticky Ref , but not always, as solves( advice) happens fast

    then fall down the page quickly.....

    We need a refresh & a logged system to retrieve all this help & advice .... Colated against Releases!!!
    Last edited by ianr; 02-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.

  13. #73
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Right. I'm suggesting you raise the specific questions necessary to effect change. Asking for those to affirm "I want this Forum renewed" doesn't offer any concrete data as to what should be done to renew. Sure, the finer details are being discussed in the forum but it becomes messy data that is difficult to analyze and prioritize. There are better ways to present these requests to NT.

    https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    You donīt seem to be reading this thread properly..had you done so you can see I have posted a couple of suggestion, thumbs, adnet, cleaning up the forum sections, migrating it to the lightwave page.
    And for requesting aimed at vizrt/newtek...a decent material of opinions isnīt directly of negative value when asking for something ..is it?

    Linking the image again of suggested gallery thumbs, though it was just a quicky mock, to be added could be a clear label of finished gallery &W.I.P gallery, then next to that adnet for third party plugins that may be recently released or updated..things like that will instantly notify things of interest that has nothing to do with complaints of the forum or communication or the lack of development.

    As for the facebook lightwave 3d support, this poll was linked there and some people also suggest having it renewed and thus would use it more.
    Not sure the page you refer to with Lightwave development support is where I should post suggestions for the forum? you may be quite spot on ..IF newtek/vizrt dont pay attention to anything in here..in such case they donĻt read this at all and it is failing in itīs attempt, at such notion..then we reall all just should bury the forum completly and look at other places to discuss, another story if they indeed read ..but simply do not agree of course.

    Ideally ..Had newtek any interest of having this forum as vibrant as they say it is in the lightwave3d page, they could have created a forum section devoted to improve the forum itself.





    Some opinions on blender, same there perhaps..a bit biased...
    https://blenderartists.org/t/what-do...ook/1205176/13

    Vinc3r
    V!nc3rMember
    3h

    For the sake of informations & tutorials visibility, closed social networks are a pain in the *** (Discord, Facebook, & cie).
    AndySC
    Member
    1h

    Facebook is fine for posts that just require instant feedback as they drop of the page so quickly and are never seen again, but are useless for keeping information accessible.
    Forums like these have all the posts archived and are easily searchable. If I’m stuck on something and make a post asking for help, any replies on here can be found months later by anyone else having a similar problem with a quick search on google. Theres also the benefit of having posts ‘visible’ for longer, allowing more people to read and giving them time to reply properly.
    Lumpengnom
    Regular
    24m

    Facebook is run by scum so even if it was better I’d still not go there.

  14. #74
    Super Member Qexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    A LARGE problem in Lightwiki .. is very Good tips & workarounds seem to get ploughed Under.

    Occasionally something is made a sticky Ref , but not always, as solves( advice) happens fast

    then fall down the page quickly.....

    We need a refresh & a logged system to retrieve all this help & advice .... Colated against Releases!!!
    That's just how things operate on Facebook. Lightwiki on Facebook doesn't operate like Wikipedia submissions. It would help if Lightwiki changed its name to something else so the two don't get confused. While both are moderated by volunteers who donate their time free of charge, Facebook Lightwiki would require a huge amount of effort to produce what you would like it to feature. Have you offered your services to help out ?
    Kevin F Stubbs

    Remember...one size does NOT fit all

  15. #75
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You donīt seem to be reading this thread properly...
    I'm reading this thread with more attention than anyone at NT. This is why I pointed you here to supply your suggestions:

    https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •