View Poll Results: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Want this Forum

66 66.00%
  • I want Facebook

5 5.00%
  • I want this Forum renewed

47 47.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Almost there...
    Some language issues..haha, or I am joking.
    for everyones safety ..the forum is effectivly hidden under the wix platform

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-02-05 Forum lightwave-forum_t.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	387.2 KB 
ID:	146830
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-02-05 Forum lightwave-forum_t.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	146829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-02-05 Forum lightwave-forum.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	146828  

i love it... 

my style, simple, efficient...  

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

[QUOTE=erikals;1586257]
    i love it... 

my style, simple, efficient...  

I accidently uploaded a shrinked image...check above..refresh the page to see the full size of it.'

Yes...simple, not too much, itīs experimental, and could go live, but currently I do not pay for subscription model of wix..I may.
    Linked final images from lightwave3d that opens the images on my forum site, though it is hyperlinked to the lightwave3d page, and some mockup images from me to the right as W.I.P gallery.
    It was just a free forum template I used but changed a bit in design.
    Some spelling errors and other errors.. cause I should be in bed now..as you should be as well Erikals

I think you could just create some hotmail accounts, not your real identity and try and create a facebook account with that,
    I have done a couple of those..in order to check some things up occasionally...and I havenīt been blocked.
    cool, might actually do that, since FB decided to block me for a lifetime it seems.

ahhh, the glory.

in other news - Facebook exec erroneously cites The Lord of the Rings when comparing the social network to the One Ring
    https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2020/1...-election-2020

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I want this forum with a major UI/UX overhaul.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    I have to disagree a bit, you can use all these tools to find things, if you look in units they are grouped in things like, top page banners, tutorials etc, and the search has a lot of options, you can very quickly find a post from 3 years ago with just a couple of words and then expand that single post to see the linked conversations
    ofc anyoneīs mileage may vary.. but even if you might be able to find things - it will never be as easy to navigate and keep an overview like you have in a forum. well, IMHO at least. forum over fb anytime...

- - - Updated - - -

@Prometheus: Nice, like it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

I accidently uploaded a shrinked image...check above..refresh the page to see the full size of it.'

Yes...simple, not too much, itīs experimental, and could go live, but currently I do not pay for subscription model of wix..I may.
    Linked final images from lightwave3d that opens the images on my forum site, though it is hyperlinked to the lightwave3d page, and some mockup images from me to the right as W.I.P gallery.
    It was just a free forum template I used but changed a bit in design.
    Some spelling errors and other errors.. cause I should be in bed now..as you should be as well Erikals
    I like it.

If I could make once constructive suggestion; if you are going to use white text, the background color needs to be darker, both from a contrast and accessibility standpoint.

I would suggest using either Yale (Hex #0E4D92 / RGB 14 77 146) or Prussian (Hex #003152 / RGB 0 49 82) if you want to use a blue color.

Alternatively, if you aren't married to blue, there are some excellent dark slate colors that would be very nice.

My two cents.

No that's your Job ,I'm as You Know NOT a Programmer.

I do LW marketing when I can...

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...It was just a free forum template I used but changed a bit in design...
    This well illustrates how the current 27 LW forum subcategories might be simplified. This idea was previously poked... https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...7-LW-Favorites

However, this prototype misses one important section: New Forum Posts

The "new forum posts" section of the NT forums is highly trafficked and important for SEO. Even the other forums compared in this discussion include a "new forum posts" section.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

I also doubt they would separate the forums as it would make the job of moderating them twice as hard, so it would still need to contain all the other products and have sub forums
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    I like it.

If I could make once constructive suggestion; if you are going to use white text, the background color needs to be darker, both from a contrast and accessibility standpoint.

I would suggest using either Yale (Hex #0E4D92 / RGB 14 77 146) or Prussian (Hex #003152 / RGB 0 49 82) if you want to use a blue color.

Alternatively, if you aren't married to blue, there are some excellent dark slate colors that would be very nice.

My two cents.
    Thanks for the feedback, and Yes..I was aware of the background color being a bit too light in tone, however..I am a bit married to blue, or at least tint blue...
    but it depends on, I feel it is more easy on the eyes than strong dark behind white text, or using almost black and just white, itīs a saturation thing where I am of the opinion that no UI should have pure greys,
    it is easier for the eyes to distinguish white against a slightly tinted color, could be grey blue, grey green, etc..but not a pure grey value, just look at how hard it is to distinguish text in some of the menus in Lightwave.

Will look at your color values later, the Lightwave3D page itself has a much more darker color, and I thought of maybe going for something like that..but then again i think it may be a bit too dark for my option.
    Now..using wix and itīs templates, it will probably force me to go in to several segments of the fields and adjust manually for each one of those forms, itīs not a single change of one color to adapt to the whole page unfortunately.

I am no webmaster/webdesigner..I can not code except for some small html commands, I did work with Dreamweaver and css templates some years ago with an already made template for a company to update the page,
    that was before wordpress became popular, much easier to update content though I thought.

After that I had a(partly) role as webadmin for another company (I was mainly doing administrations duties as well, invoice, freight handling, som production planning..
    some marketing stuff with indesign and product sheets, ads, but for the webadmin role..mostly only the basics of handling and updating content.retouching images as well, some minor changes in the wordpress fields etc..
    but I/we were locked by the webcompany who did the template..so I had no rights to change it without their consent, and each change we needed in the fields or the template..they charged us for quite expensively.

I really loath the wordpress design options, when I quit the job not long ago, wordpress started with the gutenberg implementation and other page building stuff to make it more easier to design..
    I had a short go at it but it felt clunky and not as initiuve.
    Wix on the otherhand is quite easy to design as you want..there are some drawback, such as reported to be a mess under the hood which screws up the vicinity for google searches.
    And the actuall content management is a bit clunkier than wordpress perhaps, and it may be getting slow to use...but otherwise for controlling the design,
    scaling of elements ..changing colors adding svg art etc..i find it quite nice to use.

I havenīt yet decided wether or not to start my own pages with wordpress, or wix..I am in no desperat need of full vicinity for google searches, nor a full domain name.
    That demand may arrive and I would need to do further researches of the proīs and cons, from owning rights of the content... which I believe is quite different with wordpress VS wix, to support,SE0, and if that has been improved for wix etc.

Nice to get going and test things though with wix free, for wordpress you would need a webhotel ..and the free blogs can not match what wix offer for free....but, as mentioned, if you expect good google indexing, wix is probably not something you would use in the free version at least.
    In wis..Nice to just duplicate a site you just made..so fast to do and try out changes that spawns from the same template.

Believe me, this mockup can be adressed to be much more attractive, the challenge is to have gallery updates in a smooth way...Im gonna work a little more with it and fix language faults, some other stuff..look in to categories and the gallery sections etc, start adding some links..maybe, just maybe I will let it go live for testing with some members...but that is a huge maybe, donīt think I will have the time to maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    I also doubt they would separate the forums as it would make the job of moderating them twice as hard, so it would still need to contain all the other products and have sub forums
    simple, seperate the groups..distribute the webadmin duties between the groups, add more duties within those two persons responsibility, that would make it easier for each webadmin to moderate, while also getting the chance to be more flexible and doing other stuff, and that without actually having to spend too much salery for Only webadmin duties.

I honestly do not see the issue with it and can only see it as improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    This well illustrates how the current 27 LW forum subcategories might be simplified. This idea was previously poked... https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...7-LW-Favorites

However, this prototype misses one important section: New Forum Posts

The "new forum posts" section of the NT forums is highly trafficked and important for SEO. Even the other forums compared in this discussion include a "new forum posts" section.
    That was a conscious click of a button shut off that I did to make it a bit cleaner.. since there isnīt any member other than me, and itīs not live really, I can with a simple slider just turn it on and the latest post will show up...do not know for sure if I can set it to show all new post etc..I didnīt go through all the options in there, would need someone to test it out perhaps.

One thing I would like to know about forum boards, personally as a user of the board, I would like to have an option to order the category sections based on what I often use most or post most in, an ability to re-order it as I see fit, not sure there is some kind of forum board that would allow for that...so that means a user customizable board that is only valid when the member logs in and adapt to that members settings.

For the free wix version I use, there is limited amount of Free forum board templates, will look in to both wordpress and wix options if I decide to get a webhotel, or get wix premium.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    No that's your Job ,I'm as You Know NOT a Programmer.

I do LW marketing when I can...
    I was talking about you offering your services as a moderator on Facebook Lightwiki not anything to do with programming. However, I also just remembered that you relied on your local library or other similar venues for your internet access which would make being a moderator impractical. I haven't been a programmer since way back in 1999.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast