View Poll Results: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Want this Forum

66 66.00%
  • I want Facebook

5 5.00%
  • I want this Forum renewed

47 47.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Right. I'm suggesting you raise the specific questions necessary to effect change. Asking for those to affirm "I want this Forum renewed" doesn't offer any concrete data as to what should be done to renew. Sure, the finer details are being discussed in the forum but it becomes messy data that is difficult to analyze and prioritize. There are better ways to present these requests to NT.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    I'm reading this thread with more attention than anyone at NT. This is why I pointed you here to supply your suggestions:

You sort of asked me to not just get affirmation, but to raise the specific questions needed for change, that I told you I already have done...wether or not it is best served by the forum itself or a lightwave support report is another matter..and again...the voiced opinions matter..thus the questions and polls here are necessary initally..wether or not the best method is to post here or in the Lightwave support ..I donīt know for sure.

And no offense raymondtrace, but I still think you are not reading this thread properly...the concrete data was presented in this thread...wether or not it should go to lightwave support or in this forum has nothing to do with the fact that I did offer concrete data.
    You sort of indicated that I did not presented suggestion other than trying to get affirmation.
    Or do I misunderstand you somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...wether or not the best method is to post here or in the Lightwave support ..I donīt know for sure.
    This is a user-to-user forum. This forum is noise to NT. NT does not read this. This is not a knock against NT: it would be unusual for any company to devote resources to monitoring user forums.

There are better mechanisms in place to document and prioritize tasks. This is why the deprecated "Feature Request" section of these forums points you to another place.
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...m-Instructions)

- - - Updated - - -

...wether or not the best method is to post here or in the Lightwave support ..I donīt know for sure.
    This is a user-to-user forum. This forum is noise to NT. NT does not read this. This is not a knock against NT: it would be unusual for any company to devote resources to monitoring user forums.

There are better mechanisms in place to document and prioritize tasks. This is why the deprecated "Feature Request" section of these forums points you to another place.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Frequenter
    Well, it surely would help if this thread came to attention of the person who currently is in charge of PR/Marketing for LW... I for one, would strongly vote for keeping either this forum alive, even if better slightly updated i.e. a bit more attractive for new users. Or maybe establish a brand new one, that still holds the information you can find here.
    I personally find software dedicated forums like this very important for us users - even more so after I checked https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/ - oh my, what a mess... :-\
    Sure, there might be interesting content to be found - but if I imagine to dig/search for valuable info that is more than a few hours old - it appears like a nightmare to me. Am I wrong?
    I know someone posted some hints on how to organize stuiff on fb, but honestly, why does one really have to?

Right. I'm suggesting you raise the specific questions necessary to effect change. Asking for those to affirm "I want this Forum renewed" doesn't offer any concrete data as to what should be done to renew. Sure, the finer details are being discussed in the forum but it becomes messy data that is difficult to analyze and prioritize. There are better ways to present these requests to NT.

- - - Updated - - -

Chuck did in fact become more communicative for a while...just before he retired, and I think someone from them also did post a thread and having ideas about restructuring the forum, but that seem to have fallen in to oblivion.

I hear you raymond, and what you refer to as better place, I am aware of those sections..But, to me I have never considered those sections to be of a matter for any forum request, rather purely Lightwave requests...I do not know how Newtek see that, and what insight you have about it as being the proper place..I donīt know.

But you state not properly true assertments, you know I know and the rest of the community knows that bevee, chuck, steve B and some more folks both reads and occasionally communicates in the forum, if you state it bluntly and to the extreme as "This forum is noise to NT. NT does not read this." then that is simply a false statement from you..I reckon you just are just trying to emphazise by stating it in such extreme..we can of course argue how much they read it or interact.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Well, it surely would help if this thread came to attention of the person who currently is in charge of PR/Marketing for LW... I for one, would strongly vote for keeping either this forum alive, even if better slightly updated i.e. a bit more attractive for new users. Or maybe establish a brand new one, that still holds the information you can find here.
    I personally find software dedicated forums like this very important for us users - even more so after I checked https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/ - oh my, what a mess... :-\
    Sure, there might be interesting content to be found - but if I imagine to dig/search for valuable info that is more than a few hours old - it appears like a nightmare to me. Am I wrong?
    I know someone posted some hints on how to organize stuiff on fb, but honestly, why does one really have to?
    That would probably be a new person that takes over some of Chucks duties I reckon, and I donīt know who that is..or will be, if it will be.
    I can understand they are in spot of major reorganization, and it needs to fall in to place first, and I am not of the opinion that it needs to be changed within the next weeks, just want the guys responsible to hear us out, communicate back
    if they have plans to renew the forum, or migrate it to Lightwave3d etc...if they by any chance know what they have for intentions, they could just be transparent and effectively shut down to lengthy threads like this by stating their intents.

Sure..I could even try and send a letter to Michael Hallenīn in Swedish just to make it even easier without confusion ..and explain the situation, but then again I do not think heīs the right person to adress, neither Daniel Nergard or Andrew Comb for that matter, first they need to
    get a Chuck Replacement, and after communicating to that person..if nothing is happening, it may be proper to take it to a higher level in the command chain.

And whatīs with the forum today, it takes extremely long time to reach it, and most of the times it doesnīt work..I get site temporarely unavailable..A Lot...
    I am almost Getting paranoia here thinking they do not like be discussing this topic and thus is shutting me out of the forums..haha.

...if you state it bluntly and to the extreme as "This forum is noise to NT. NT does not read this." then that is simply a false statement from you..I reckon you just are just trying to emphazise by stating it in such extreme..we can of course argue how much they read it or interact.
    I don't exaggerate. It is true that a NT employee might participate in the forums but it is not typically in an official capacity. NT, as a company, is not involved here. They cannot speak officially here. Most of us should not want them to waste their time here. You will recall that NT employees frequently respond in this forum by directing us to the separate report system (or to customer service). Beevee also recommends users go to the report system to request updates to the documentation (even though that has nothing to do with developing software).

There is a significant difference between these forums and the report system. In the report system, the request is identified with a case number and assigned for review or action. Project managers sort through the reports and prioritize tasks. There is an accountability in the report system that is not found in the random disorder of a user forum.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 02-04-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I'd like to see the forum updated (and separated from all the other NewTek forums). I'd like to see much better use of images (& videos) with the ability to post images and have thumbnails used in the indexes etc.
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

I don't exaggerate. It is true that a NT employee might participate in the forums but it is not typically in an official capacity. NT, as a company, is not involved here. They cannot speak officially here. Most of us should not want them to waste their time here. You will recall that NT employees frequently respond in this forum by directing us to the separate report system (or to customer service). Beevee also recommends users go to the report system to request updates to the documentation (even though that has nothing to do with developing software).

There is a significant difference between these forums and the report system. In the report system, the request is identified with a case number and assigned for review or action. Project managers sort through the reports and prioritize tasks. There is an accountability in the report system that is not found in the random disorder of a user forum.
    Thanks for your views on all that, I will take that under consideration..though it feels odd to go that way, but you may have a point...if they take action on such reports even if it isnīt directly connected to lightwave or lightwave docs.
    As mentioned, blender forum has their own section to post suggestions..then again, itīs not comparable from where blender come from and from where lightwave come from..but at least it is not ambigous on where to put suggestion regarding the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scazzino View Post
    I'd like to see the forum updated (and separated from all the other NewTek forums). I'd like to see much better use of images (& videos) with the ability to post images and have thumbnails used in the indexes etc.
    There you go, why make it harder than it needs to be

I would have understood this poll if it was made by someone who frequent the forums and Facebook.

Facts given, I do not understand this poll. That said, I voted This forum. I do not use Facebook.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

i think he has.

that said, i follow the FB page daily, i just can't post there. (because of FB policy)

there are also benefits to the FB layout, it gives a very visual representation of what's new.
    but for finding "that post made 6 months ago" -not so much, in fact, not at all.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-04-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I have to disagree a bit, you can use all these tools to find things, if you look in units they are grouped in things like, top page banners, tutorials etc, and the search has a lot of options, you can very quickly find a post from 3 years ago with just a couple of words and then expand that single post to see the linked conversations,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	search.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	146826
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

ah nice..., you have to be logged in tho'

so, no chance for me, i'm [blocked]  

--------

+ lucky for me i've found a way to hack away the "please log in" message.
    (Remove Anything Firefox addon)
    Last edited by erikals; 02-04-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ah nice..., you have to be logged in tho'

so, no chance for me, i'm [blocked]  

--------

+ lucky for me i've found a way to hack away the "please log in" message.
    (Remove Anything Firefox addon)
    I think you could just create some hotmail accounts, not your real identity and try and create a facebook account with that, I have done a couple of those..in order to check some things up occasionally...and I havenīt been blocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I would have understood this poll if it was made by someone who frequent the forums and Facebook.

Facts given, I do not understand this poll. That said, I voted This forum. I do not use Facebook.
    Not a good idea if you donīt understand the poll ..to vote in it for something you donīt understand ..but hey..no harme done since you donīt use facebook

You donīt have to be a frequent visitor on facebook to get the sensation of this is not what I want to use.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast