View Poll Results: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Want this Forum

66 66.00%
  • I want Facebook

5 5.00%
  • I want this Forum renewed

47 47.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Also do not use Facebook and would not be able to actively participate if they officially moved these forums to Facebook.

I lurk on the Lightwave 3d Support Group, but if I want to contribute to it in any way, I usually make a post here about something interesting I saw there.

These forums as they exist now need a major UX overhaul, and I agree with earlier comments that the Lightwave forums should be completely separate from all other Newtek / Vizrt forums.

We could also do with some general housecleaning and reorganization to pare down the number of Lightwave forums there are. Right now, there are 12 Lightwave-centered forums, but honestly, only three or four are used with any regularity.

Where is the poll option for both? It doesn't matter. I use both. The question is like asking if someone should text or call.

While it is reasonable for any competent person to avoid Facebook, it is one of the top 3 most trafficked domains on the internet. It would be silly for any company not to have a presence on Facebook. You have to go to the audience.

Beware that even if you're not a Facebook member, you're probably still being tracked by Facebook. Many web sites profit from including Facebook tracking code. You need to block the domain of facebook.net in your hosts file or with a browser script blocker.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

These forums are full of lightwave dinosaurs....but is fb a better medium, I don't know but it's definitely more vibrant.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Where is the poll option for both? It doesn't matter. I use both. The question is like asking if someone should text or call.

While it is reasonable for any competent person to avoid Facebook, it is one of the top 3 most trafficked domains on the internet. It would be silly for any company not to have a presence on Facebook. You have to go to the audience.

Beware that even if you're not a Facebook member, you're probably still being tracked by Facebook. Many web sites profit from including Facebook tracking code. You need to block the domain of facebook.net in your hosts file or with a browser script blocker.
    The question was asked that way since I feel the lw forum is neglected..and also sort of stated from newtek that the forum isnīt anything they do much about ..but instead focus on facebook, and I feel the need to
    do a survey of what is most important, not that you can choose for your self what you would like to use, I thought it was more essential to seperate what is more important rather than having an option for I use both.
    Thought it was more imperative to do an actual distinction in order to get a decent picture of what is more important than a survey of opinions accepting both.

Do you feel like you prefer both as main forums for discussion? and none of them is better than the other? additionally you can also add it in a post comment, which you did.

- - - Updated - - -

I do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Also do not use Facebook and would not be able to actively participate if they officially moved these forums to Facebook.

I lurk on the Lightwave 3d Support Group, but if I want to contribute to it in any way, I usually make a post here about something interesting I saw there.

These forums as they exist now need a major UX overhaul, and I agree with earlier comments that the Lightwave forums should be completely separate from all other Newtek / Vizrt forums.

We could also do with some general housecleaning and reorganization to pare down the number of Lightwave forums there are. Right now, there are 12 Lightwave-centered forums, but honestly, only three or four are used with any regularity.
    Exactly what I have said also, cleaning up, and move it to lightwave3d page.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    .but is fb a better medium, I don't know but it's definitely more vibrant.
    Thatīs because of newtek not caring about this forum as much as they care for facebook presence, I am sure of it.
    Suggestions has been made on how to make this forum equally attractive or better when posting artwork, get news updates about tools etc...but unlike facebook, it would maintain as a more focused forum.

These forums are about 70% just a place for kvetching about nonsense. At best 30% useful information. And less than 1% cool stuff. The Facebook group on the other hand is about 60% interesting lw work being shared, 30% useful information and 10% kvetching.

There are very real reasons to avoid Facebook, but currently as it stands, the Facebook group is far better place for lightwave info and inspiration It shouldn’t be that way but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...Do you feel like you prefer both as main forums for discussion?...
    The problem is that there may never be a main place for discussion. There are too many places and too many audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thatīs because of newtek not caring about this forum as much as they care for facebook presence, I am sure of it.
    NT is certainly not focusing on Facebook more than these forums. I believe the Facebook group was started by a user/customer, who shared moderation powers with some NT employees. However, I don't think any NT employee is currently managing conversations on FB. NT is more hands-off on Facebook than they are in these forums.

Despite most of NT's business being in video hardware, the majority of activity on these forums is based on LW. These forums are not being threatened by NT being distracted by Facebook.

Yes, these forums could be improved to better promote artwork and so many other things. They could even add a "share on Facebook" link to posts.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

If it ever goes FB route, Liberty 3D should get their forums back in touch and we can all move there.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

But do they want people coming to the forums when half the threads end with "lightwave is dying" "here is what it looks like in blender" I said it to some users on FB, if you want things to improve, you need to be more positive about the product your using, big it up, look what I did! the more customers you help them get if they cant help themselves, the more of a win it is for ourselves, like others said the FB pages are much more positive, and there are a lot of pages, even regional ones, so why would they waste time here when they are getting high visibility for little to no work or cost, the forum might not be pretty, but it works, you come here, ask a question, most the time somebody answers,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    But do they want people coming to the forums when half the threads end with "lightwave is dying" "here is what it looks like in blender" I said it to some users on FB, if you want things to improve, you need to be more positive about the product your using, big it up, look what I did! the more customers you help them get if they cant help themselves, the more of a win it is for ourselves, like others said the FB pages are much more positive, and there are a lot of pages, even regional ones, so why would they waste time here when they are getting high visibility for little to no work or cost, the forum might not be pretty, but it works, you come here, ask a question, most the time somebody answers,
    I disagree with in principle all you say here..
    I think You are looking at in the eyes of a too much subjective opinion based on history posting of negative comments as an excuse, a part of the complaints is in fact due to the lack of engagement in the forums, and newtek is just as responsible for the forums lack of functionality as lightwaveīs lack of functionality in some areas, the lack of modeling updates etc is of course something that transcends in to the forum..itīs not the forum fault but newteks responsibility to deal with the software in the first place.

And of course, here is how the forum looks like in blender, it is unavoidable....there is nothing to it than facts, had the lw forum been as good implemented as the blender forum, I wouldnīt even had considered talking about this.

Why is the facebook pages more positives, does it rule out a discussion and only leaves the option of sharing artwork and small comments that doesnīt work in a full discussion environment?
    We can have sharing of artwork here as well, no one really seem to bother about the gallery pages, again, they can dismantle lightwave from this forum, move it to the lightwave page and keep it all together and at the same time clean up, make artwork more visible and advertizing the tools that can be used with Lightwave, that by itself with at least help people avoid starting a thread or poll like this.

Itīs about providing a vibrant forum for discussion, artwork in a good way, this isnīt it..as you state it provides answers, it does little for sharing artwork and make things get noticed, just get some darn thumbs of artwork in there in the vicinity of visiting the main page...itīs instant attraction to what is HOT.

The forum is a mess, and part of it is the structure, no engagement to renew it etc, as such it fills no good use other that to further fill the role as a complaint forum when it doesnīt work as it could do, it sort of drags the general opinion of lightwave itself as dying in a way..(though that isnīt what I believe) but the forum will act like a katalysator for such opinions.
    No one on newtek or users will shut down facebook, it is a matter of respecting users will to have a dedicated forum from the actual devleoper of the software, rather than feeling excluded cause they do not like to use facebook and with all that comes with that.

The problem with sharing artwork here is that it only appears to other LW users. People use Facebook to share (promote) their work to everyone (especially potential customers/clients).

This is not to say that one of these mediums needs to fade. Both are relevant.

And blenderartist... they even got this "Improve the Forum section"

I think I should try and start a poll over at the blender forums ..how they perceive their forum working as opposed to blender on facebook.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caring about users in a forum.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	146805

The problem with sharing artwork here is that it only appears to other LW users. People use Facebook to share (promote) their work to everyone (especially potential customers/clients).

This is not to say that one of these mediums needs to fade. Both are relevant.
    That can be of both good and bad, and actually distract lw users to other software..and it all becomes unfocused, sure I can be interested of modo, houdini etc..but sometimes I would like to discuss Lightwave and not have anything else non related thrown in my face.

But I agree, for some both are relevant, I personlly donīt go there to facebook though...so that is for other lw users.
    And none of them needs to fade, I am urging newtek however to just donīt do that for this forum, which I think will happen..itīs foremost a question of reviving it and give some attention to it, otherwise I am afraid it will fade, they declared they pretty much donīt care about it..so what does that tell you?
    So a poll to see how users feel about it..may be a start, along with good suggestions on what to do.

Frequenter
    I really donīt know much about whatīs possible with the fb site. Still have no fb account, so most stuff is hidden to me. Please enlighten those who are ignorant: Is it possible to link to discussions, have older entries present with a few clicks, search the posts for topics in a halfway meaningful manner?

These forums here are so full of useful information that you can link to, search for, etc. More than just a few times it happens that a years old thread is revived and helps to solve current problems. Is all that possible over on the fb site?

I think facebook forces you to look at information you simply do not want in a much to high General level, adding thumbs here for artwork and tools will sort of risc that too, but I do not think it will be anywhere near in the way facebook does it with itīs algorithms to decide what to target you with.

A notification sales facebook page, sure may help get things going for sales perhaps, but it is a seperate concept from providing a focused dedicated Lightwave forum where the concern is more about providing good options for the users, not good marketing notification topics in the first place.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast