View Poll Results: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Want this Forum

66 66.00%
  • I want Facebook

5 5.00%
  • I want this Forum renewed

47 47.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want Facebook or this Forum as the main forum for discussions?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

quite nice.
    It is..I am not as active there as in here though, but it will most certainly change the more I use blender..so I am not familiar with all options in postings etc, adding images, videos and how smooth that is..had some issue with google photo linking in there not showing up as images in the post, but in lightwave forums there is no way to link vimeo videos properly anymore..while I think that works on blender forum, not sure though.

The thing is, that forum is both a Discussion Forum And a Market place..where developers of addons can have their addons showcased from time to time..I find myself finding interesting stuff all the time and thus it will draw me in to try it out and using that software more.

And the direct media linking to some of the great work ..helps notifying of other great artists and what tools or techniques they used...as opposed to this forum where I simply have stopped looked in the gallery section, and it is also not very active in posting either, ideally they should put up a link in the header to the lightwave3D gallery postings, and also have some images for the forum gallery, that could be split in to maybe 3+3 thumbs showcase header gallery..and once clicked on for respective image, it will take to you the full Lightwave3D gallery, or the forum gallery with W.I.P

A forum dedicated to help users show their art, and developers show their addons/plugins, and for users to discuss and search topics in a focused forum, neither this forum or facebook currently does that.
    The question is if it wouldnīt be better to dismantle this forum an move All lightwave forums to the lightwave 3D page.
    Not sure the forum will be maintained as newtek still under Vizrt?

I have noticed that many of the Lightwave users who post on Facebook and who are regularly active on there don't seem to be on the forums. There are a small number who use both.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Advance apologies.....but FB can kiss my a#@$
    I will disappear with this forum if it goes (don’t know why this is being asked, is something in play?)
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Advance apologies.....but FB can kiss my a#@$
    I will disappear with this forum if it goes (don’t know why this is being asked, is something in play?)
    Sort of for me as well, this question is raised since I think the whole LW community/Forum needs a facejob as like it hasnīt for a couple of years, but why not now when vizrt taking over, and perhaps the 2020 release may be near?
    And as stated before, I think newtek themself mentioned they do not pay much attention to this forum anymore and they think facebook is more important...and that without putting out a poll by themself to listen to what we users think, I could be mistaken..but that it the perception i have on the matter...their choice to do whatever they feel appropiate, it is out of my hands ..the only thing I can do is protest about it and make a survey on how users here feels about it, if they care to listen or not is up to them.

mockup..just a few images in the header, can be better of course..should include recent plugins, or recent youtube/vimeo vids for those who are active creating such content to a certain level of standard.
    Maybe it looks more interesting and vibrant, or is it distracting? I think a renewed forum would help users being more connected talking about artwork, tips and tricks..to be more creative rather than spending time complaining about the forum or development.

All this needs to merge together with a new transparency policy around the development, they need to drop the fear fobia they attracted when they introduced core membership, that wasnīt the users fault, that intent with transparency on the development was good I think..but they need to know what they are capable of in order to provide proper insight, not go in to illusions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lw Forum mockup.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	146791

I honestly think they should set this forum on fire and throw it in a dumpster. The whole thing is a mess. Lightwave people have absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the newtek people, lightwave should be spun off on its own forum. There are too many subsections that are basically dead. Everyone just throws everything in general discussion. Uploading content is far too clunky to serve as a gallery and it is a terrible browsing experience for that sort of thing. There should be a universal feed sort of thing where you can see new stuff and images at a glance. And it should have all the usual bells and whistles we have come to expect from social media: tagging, liking, following etc, in a useful and easy to format.

As for the other useful function of a forum: community technical support/ knowledge base. It should work entirely differently. I would rather see something like a universal wiki-like thing possibly integrated into the documentation. looking for an existing solution top a problem in the forum is basically archeology. While it is nice to see that people are nice and helpful on the forum once a thread falls off the first page the only way to find anything is text search. No grouping or tags or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I honestly think they should set this forum on fire and throw it in a dumpster. The whole thing is a mess. Lightwave people have absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the newtek people, lightwave should be spun off on its own forum. There are too many subsections that are basically dead. Everyone just throws everything in general discussion. Uploading content is far too clunky to serve as a gallery and it is a terrible browsing experience for that sort of thing. There should be a universal feed sort of thing where you can see new stuff and images at a glance. And it should have all the usual bells and whistles we have come to expect from social media: tagging, liking, following etc, in a useful and easy to format.

As for the other useful function of a forum: community technical support/ knowledge base. It should work entirely differently. I would rather see something like a universal wiki-like thing possibly integrated into the documentation. looking for an existing solution top a problem in the forum is basically archeology. While it is nice to see that people are nice and helpful on the forum once a thread falls off the first page the only way to find anything is text search. No grouping or tags or anything.
    Agree with you mostly here, though I am not sure if a few Lightwave users to some degree also is using tricaster? I am guessing that is to small amount to be considered bearing weight for keeping Lightwave forums together with the other newtek forums.
    Unless implment a wiki style forum, at least shut it down here and move it to the lightwave3D page, with a fresh UI for the forum..then they would have started to gather the community better anyway....and itīs a start.
    As you mentioned, this forum is full of old threads, and sections as I mentioned with the hardcore membership down below other sections that has nothing to do with lightwave, I mentioned they should structure it and move it up under the other lightwave sections..but preferably..move it to Lightwave3D pate all in all, and go from there where to archive the old stuff.

The question is if they decide a migration to Lightwave3D page would be proper..if they in such case can manage to migrate the topics to be searchable in archives?
    I just donīt want a migration..only to discover we wouldnīt be able to check these older threads for the last 10 years.

This forum, 100%.
    I am not on facebook, and Newtek has control over this forum. Subcontracting to a third-party is never a good idea for key functionality.

I can understand if they (Newtek & Vizrt) would like to drive campaigns, or have their visibility on Facebook, and hoping for their algorithms to match other 3D artists and make them aware of Lightwave, that isnīt something these forum can do in the same way, but that is something they could maintain on the side, not to foremost serve as a community service...dropping engagement in a Dedicated forum they control, that is just a showcase of neglect toward us users.

The poll seem to already indicate what the opinions are from the user perspective.

38 responses isn’t a representative sample size.

but certainly a clear indication.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    38 responses isn’t a representative sample size.
    but certainly a clear indication.
    Indeed just that..I think we can see where it is going in these forums anyway, I seriously doubt the facebook pool will catch up over time in any significant level, and I said just that.."Indicates" not final.
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The poll seem to already indicate what the opinions are from the user perspective.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Noticed that Vizrt uses the same forum software, just a much newer version. I kind of like this forum. But I do miss those thumbnails. They've been gone so long I barely remember it.

Steve

Since I try to avoid any social media due to the obvious data collecting I definitely go for the forum.
    There is a quite dedicated german site for LW (Rendering.de), which also had a good forum, but they all moved to FB. Actually have no idea how that went, but it was sad to see the forum die.
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600x, GTX 980 ti, 64 GB, LW 2018

this forum, Facebook policy banned me because of some wrong naming.

not that I mind too much, hate their tracking service.

----------

but mostly because things just disappear on that site.
    if you once saw something, finding it 6 months later is a pure pain.
    apart from, they do have a "save this post" and "search this group" option, problem is everything in the world has become about social media, literally becoming the only way to advertise or make money, it also costs nothing for them apart from some monitoring staff, where as maintaining a forum does, especially when most web firms are trying to force people to move to pre built web builders so they have less work to maintain dedicated servers (my web host is trying a sneaky on me right now) by raising the prices a lot,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

i don't use Facebook.

love the forum and its users here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast