Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Small School Video Distribution System

  1. #1

    Small School Video Distribution System

    Good day,
    I am in need of a system and I am in need of your thoughts as to whether NDI can assist me.

    I have the opportunity to transform my school video playout into something much more dynamic than our present simple video playout system over 19 apple tvs. This is sent out over 4 banks of mini macs to two different "channels". There is only playback capability and people have to run around to the 19 apple tvs when an update of material is put out. I abhor this system and refuse to use it.

    I have and want to use CasparCG for play with Vimesh's simple playout program for CasparCG. By no stretch of the imagination is Vimesh's playout simple: it gives a lively feel to the output when you have immediate and on the spot control over what's on all those tvs! In the past, this system has proven to be dynamic enough to keep students engaged in the programming and content of what goes on the tvs.
    In trying to use CasparCG, I am unable to get the assists I need to get a distribution tool up and going; my experience is old so forgive me: the ms streaming media server is what I would have had them re-install on our server. Lacking that, I have tried to multicast with UDP.
    Our system doesn't seem to be able to do this at the distances I'm working with. Or is configured wrong. Again, assists are something I plan to assertively seek in the next few months. UDP, without a distribution system, isn't going to work.

    Before I invest in bucks for all these apple tvs for ndi tools, does anyone know if this will work without a distribution server? And if not, you got one to suggest? I'll even build a linux box for it, at this juncture, as I believe I am on my on on the Engineering side. Got bucks to buy but need to buy wisely.

    Your thoughts since you've read this far?
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Good day,
    I am in need of a system and I am in need of your thoughts as to whether NDI can assist me.

    I have the opportunity to transform my school video playout into something much more dynamic than our present simple video playout system over 19 apple tvs. This is sent out over 4 banks of mini macs to two different "channels". There is only playback capability and people have to run around to the 19 apple tvs when an update of material is put out. I abhor this system and refuse to use it.

    I have and want to use CasparCG for play with Vimesh's simple playout program for CasparCG. By no stretch of the imagination is Vimesh's playout simple: it gives a lively feel to the output when you have immediate and on the spot control over what's on all those tvs! In the past, this system has proven to be dynamic enough to keep students engaged in the programming and content of what goes on the tvs.
    In trying to use CasparCG, I am unable to get the assists I need to get a distribution tool up and going; my experience is old so forgive me: the ms streaming media server is what I would have had them re-install on our server. Lacking that, I have tried to multicast with UDP.
    Our system doesn't seem to be able to do this at the distances I'm working with. Or is configured wrong. Again, assists are something I plan to assertively seek in the next few months. UDP, without a distribution system, isn't going to work.

    Before I invest in bucks for all these apple tvs for ndi tools, does anyone know if this will work without a distribution server? And if not, you got one to suggest? I'll even build a linux box for it, at this juncture, as I believe I am on my on on the Engineering side. Got bucks to buy but need to buy wisely.

    Your thoughts since you've read this far?
    If you want NDI to play natively on the Apple TVs - that's pretty easy.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ndi-mo...489088858?ls=1
    These will all connect to your NDI Sources, and you can remotely control which source each one connects to using remote web interface.
    If you need to use NDI multicast - the Apple TV software supports all flavours of NDI, TCP, UDP, mTCP and Multicast for NDI and NDI HX2. It does not support HX1.
    You would not necessarily need any sort of central distribution system provided your NDI Source could handle the connection load (or you are using multicast).

  3. #3
    Indeed, that's why i'm in here: to get your thoughts on what all I'm going to need. As well, have any deals for education?
    When you say not necessarily, how can I test either scenario with what I have available to me now, i.e., the windows and mac ndi tools. Streaming with CasparCG and an AE3 460.
    NDI and multicast... huh? Gotta get educated. HX1, HX2 - again, how can I know which is for me or whether I'm generating something now I won't be able to use after the purchase?
    What would necessitate a need for a central distribution system? Trying to serve 300 sources? I want to be able to scale to where people on campus can all view the stream at once.
    I'll be in touch.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

  4. #4
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    Robert, it's late and I haven't read this very thoroughly, but for an in-house distribution system, you might want to look at our MDS system (which basically makes you your own 4-channel CDN). There's a cost, of course, but it's a versatile approach that lends itself to scaling.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    london
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Indeed, that's why i'm in here: to get your thoughts on what all I'm going to need. As well, have any deals for education?
    When you say not necessarily, how can I test either scenario with what I have available to me now, i.e., the windows and mac ndi tools. Streaming with CasparCG and an AE3 460.
    NDI and multicast... huh? Gotta get educated. HX1, HX2 - again, how can I know which is for me or whether I'm generating something now I won't be able to use after the purchase?
    What would necessitate a need for a central distribution system? Trying to serve 300 sources? I want to be able to scale to where people on campus can all view the stream at once.
    I'll be in touch.
    Robert
    Hi Robert.

    It sounds like you need an experienced systems integrator to help you work through your requirements and propose an appropriate solution. You can find a list of Approved Sienna NDI Systems integrators here: http://www.sienna-tv.com/newsite/integrators.html

    Any of these companies will have the answers to all the questions you have posed, and will be able to design an appropriate solution to scale up to your future ambitions.

  6. #6
    Steve,
    Indeed, I did look at that. I am unsure of the costs but if it's close to the cost of the 19 ndi devices I am thinking to invest in, it might just be the ticket. (HA! See below.)

    Livepad,
    I will investigate what the integrators have to offer. I think I mostly need conversation. I have a budget to take care of the rest. lol

    What I have on my plate now is obs and a linux server. CasparCG and Tricaster can stream through obs, in several flavors, and out through nginx on the Linux. I am most curious as to whether this will mitigate the need for the ndi software on the apple tvs.
    I will read up on the mds as I saw it but didn't have a budget in mind. Ha had one, it wasn't in it! Oh my... That's a few pennies. And bigger britches than we need to fit into. But I will share it as a want, nonetheless.
    Great food for thought.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

  7. #7
    NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Steve,
    Indeed, I did look at that. I am unsure of the costs but if it's close to the cost of the 19 ndi devices I am thinking to invest in, it might just be the ticket. (HA! See below.)

    Livepad,
    I will investigate what the integrators have to offer. I think I mostly need conversation. I have a budget to take care of the rest. lol

    What I have on my plate now is obs and a linux server. CasparCG and Tricaster can stream through obs, in several flavors, and out through nginx on the Linux. I am most curious as to whether this will mitigate the need for the ndi software on the apple tvs.
    I will read up on the mds as I saw it but didn't have a budget in mind. Ha had one, it wasn't in it! Oh my... That's a few pennies. And bigger britches than we need to fit into. But I will share it as a want, nonetheless.
    Great food for thought.
    Hey Robert! Been a long time old friend.

    Shoot me an email and let's discuss a few options - jef at pizazz dot com
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

    Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

  8. #8
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Indeed, I did look at that. I am unsure of the costs but if it's close to the cost of the 19 ndi devices I am thinking to invest in, it might just be the ticket. (HA! See below.)
    Yep, coming from a school system background myself, I get budgets - and feast or famine. One day you might just get lucky. My very first thought when I got MDS running when they were in dev was 'Holy cow, this would be so cool for schools!' And a guy like you with significant tech chops would get more out of the unit than most.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  9. #9
    Haha, that made me smile and wonder...
    So, I could serve 15000+ with that thing?
    That lowers the price considerably, in my mind.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

  10. #10
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    15000 direct connections might be a stretch ... maybe if you put 15 of them in front of each of 1000 monitors.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  11. #11
    hahaha, nice visual.
    Douse that dream.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    676
    Not to throw cold water on an NDI solution but you might want to check this product line out:

    https://www.zeevee.com/products/av-over-rf/

    - - - Updated - - -

    This is assuming that you have conventional RF cable in place to TVs with regular tuners in them.

    It certainly isn't as interactive as an NDI solution, or using anything that would stream to PCs, but if you've got the cable installed, it's extremely simple and robust.
    Last edited by fgolman; 02-05-2020 at 07:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Thanks fgolman, but this is exactly why I'm looking at all this nonsense: they ripped out the 10 building, thousands of feet I/we pulled and replaced it with ethernet.
    I had casparCG running and learned at that time just how cool it was.

    Now, I get to wrangle it through someone's server and a bunch of assisting devices.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    676
    Ah, gotcha.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17
    I am not an expert, but you might find value in what I have to say:

    I did some research and came up mostly empty when it comes to turnkey solutions or complete guides. However there are several guides on how to set up RTMP servers with multicast (multicast is important). So what you might want to do is set up an RTMP server and then a web server with pages to navigate the different RTMP streams and display them in a browser.
    I haven't reviewed the following guides beyond a cursory glance, but they should at the very least give you a jumping off point.
    Embedding an RTMP player in a web page:
    https://flashphoner.com/embedding-a-...r-as-webrtc-2/
    Multicast RTMP streaming with VLC (you'll want to adapt this to use command line/scripts):
    https://peakdrive.com/how-to-use-vlc...lticast-video/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •