Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave marketing- forum & social media

It is frustrating that people, Vocal ex-users in particular, continue to act as though aside from the renderer lightwave has hardly changed since the 2015 version. The workflow enhancements from features such as the (almost) universal search filters and completely reworked copy/paste for modifiers etc. have been huge. and there have been tons of other changes like that. things that you only appreciate through actually using the software daily. None of these are flashy features and would be almost embarrassing to brag about, but taken as a whole they are substantial. hopefully eventually they will reach a critical mass of minor improvements that will make it abundantly clear that The modern lightwave is not just the same old lightwave with a new number on it and lapsed users may give it a serious look instead of just a cursory glance.

Nicely said... Duper

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post

I've already contacted Vzrt and will continue to try and convince them that they need someone dedicated to keeping the software looking fresh and educating users on what's available.

Good initiative of you Ryan to contact Vizrt.

Odd though that they simple do not take note of all changes done, and incorporate it fully in the release list, some disciplin needed for them to simply take notes and include it all.

As for keeping the software looking fresh, a search menu will not nearly be enough, and itīs graphicly way behind blender and houdini in how you navigate in that menu and how it looks, they would need a decent rewamp of the UI in general, at least start with more functional scaling of windows, a multi editing option of the x-z-y values like all the other 3d tools seem to have, thatīs mostly the functionality..to be able to change the colors to your liking is a bit more cosmetic..but it will help lightwave not feel "old" as most newbie users will perceive it..when compared to others...they really needs to adress the cosmetics of that, itīs not good enough with ..yeah, the lady is old but she can still..you know...may work for us older users, but it probably stops there

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...enu-navigation
    "Flat Menu

You can now call up a flattened version of every entry that exists in the main menu with the keyboard shortcut CTRL Space. Doing so presents a list of all available commands in Layout or Modeler (with their associated keyboard shortcuts). As with other LightWave menus, you can type to narrow down your selection and the cursor keys and Enter can be used to choose the command you require."

Very true, and your post (hypersuperduper) at once puts another reason forward to explain the general disinterest in Lightwave.

While existing experienced LW users may really appreciate all those workflow enhancements, for new users and for marketing purposes these are wholly uninteresting. Like it or not: the reason why most (on the outside) regard Lightwave's feature development with diminishing respect is because large innovative *new* features attract attention, which Lightwave distinctly is lacking in with the past releases - not all these household maintenance improvements.

Don't get me wrong here: overall workflow enhancements are brilliant. The PhotoLine devs (image editor that I switched to when Photoshop went rental) have improved its workflow to a level that I can fly in the software, and I am much more efficient than I ever was in Photoshop.

In short, overall workflow enhancements are excellent to KEEP a certain segment of veteran users from leaving (certainly not everyone, as demonstrated in Lightwave's case). And when competing alternatives not only offer similar basic workflow enhancements, but also present eye-catching forward-thinking new features in every new release...

...and on top of this the people behind these alternatives also know how to market themselves properly (because basic workflow enhancements won't be of much interest to potential new users) AND feed and maintain a thriving community...

Well, no wonder no-one cares much about Lightwave, but its own small group of hardened veteran users.

Newtek has no-one to blame but itself for this situation (note: not the developers of Lightwave! I have a feeling they have tried and still try their best to improve LW with their limited resources).

Let's suppose Lightwave 2020 is a great release. Perhaps even an awesome release - if history has taught us one thing is that we can trust Newtek to botch the marketing. With Newtek, I hope for the best, but brace myself for the worst.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    As for keeping the software looking fresh, a search menu will not nearly be enough, and itīs graphicly way behind blender and houdini in how you navigate in that menu and how it looks, they would need a decent rewamp of the UI in general, at least start with more functional scaling of windows, a multi editing option of the x-z-y values like all the other 3d tools seem to have, thatīs mostly the functionality..to be able to change the colors to your liking is a bit more cosmetic..but it will help lightwave not feel "old" as most newbie users will perceive it..when compared to others...they really needs to adress the cosmetics of that, itīs not good enough with ..yeah, the lady is old but she can still..you know...may work for us older users, but it probably stops there

[/I]
    Yes, wholeheartedly agree. I notice this with PhotoLine too: the GUI looks dated/rough, and many potential users therefore dismiss it. Same with Lightwave. It looks "old" and "behind the times" are some of the comments of my past students.

On the whole, people are superficial and often focus on trivialities. In particular creative users (and who can blame them ;-) ).
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    The workflow enhancements from features such as the (almost) universal search filters and completely reworked copy/paste for modifiers etc. have been huge. and there have been tons of other changes like that. things that you only appreciate through actually using the software daily. None of these are flashy features and would be almost embarrassing to brag about, but taken as a whole they are substantial.
    Yes! Another thing that has gone completely unnoticed IMO is how a lot of the modeling tools no longer break your UV's. Everybody bitched and moaned about that forever and now that that situation is vastly improved hardly a mention.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yes! Another thing that has gone completely unnoticed IMO is how a lot of the modeling tools no longer break your UV's. Everybody bitched and moaned about that forever and now that that situation is vastly improved hardly a mention.
    really? which ones got fixed? They really should have gone on about that one if true!

I wonder if having access to Virzt that Dr.Cross will issue Any supportive statement

about LW's direction & who replaces Chuck Baker? Is Virzt R&D going to be Cross

Fertilized & trickle down to LW? Speaking as the one who got 2018 & 2019 reviewed in

Magazines with Chuck's support....Duece can't do everthing... What if they recruited

from the forums ? As Lino came in that way?

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I wonder if having access to Virzt that Dr.Cross will issue Any supportive statement

about LW's direction & who replaces Chuck Baker? Is Virzt R&D going to be Cross

Fertilized & trickle down to LW? Speaking as the one who got 2018 & 2019 reviewed in

Magazines with Chuck's support....Duece can't do everthing... What if they recruited

from the forums ? As Lino came in that way?
    Only they can tell, I am however available to sit and shut down every post I feel is obnoxius etc and I am located in sthlm where vizrt has some offices.
    Donīt think they are looking for anyone now though.

Project Manager and head of ERP is announced...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vizrt job ad.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	146792

Looks like they are looking for a Product marketing manager.
    Not sure if that includes Lightwave.

https://www.vizrt.com/job-overview-p...NEZZYGRXIROXHC

Reco

Quote Originally Posted by Reco View Post

Reco
    Nothing regarding anything 3D directly, but I can not read anything other in to it than it actually includes Lightwave as well as a part of Newtek Product line.
    From that ad...

"This is a rare opportunity to help build a Product Marketing discipline with the organization. Product Marketing Managers will be given the freedom to both build and execute upon best practices processes that translate NewTek product line offerings into value pathways for customers, partners, practitioners, or colleagues."

"Work with NewTek University to ensure that course content accurately represents products, solutions and platforms, and that it represents the message and value propositions of an overall product offering, not only features."

"Possessing both technology and customer/market insight, these roles will play a key part in helping shape the global product/solution strategy for NewTek products by architecting and maintaining a suite of comprehensive product marketing plans and tools that align to the Product Business Plan and the overall business objectives."

The Swedish Section of vizrt seem to be doing well in terms of revenue and net result, and from what I can see there seem to be a lot going on in terms of expansion and such, I can only hope it translates to investing in Lightwave also.
    Revenue 2018-12 184132912 USD. And thatīs a lot better than the previous years, and the net results are positive as well...a growth of 37,9 % compared to previous year ( 2019 results not in)

But thatīs just the swedish section of Vizrt Sweden AB
    Then there is Vizrt Group AS In norway, juridical responsible persons..not long ago registred, and Vizrt AB, with not much info on, except that is the Main Group I think, so there is 3 Swedish sections.
    Michael Hallén which is the newly appointed Chief Executive Officer for Vizrt Newtek-LIGHTWAVE Group, is also the CEO for those groups as well, or was not sure how the bodies are rolling dynamicly for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Reco View Post

Reco
    if you ask em, response might be "what's Lightwave?" or "is that still going?"

that's the general response from anyone in the industry.

once again, Unity shows how its done..

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/28...now-available/

Love that LTS version with just bug fixes for stability. That is something LW should do.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    if you ask em, response might be "what's Lightwave?" or "is that still going?"

that's the general response from anyone in the industry.
    Parody in Repetition..
    Michael Hallen is the CEO, and appointed Chief Chief Executive Officer for the Newtek LIGHTWAVE Group, so with that in mind..just pure folly to think anything else than they are very aware of what lightwave is and itīs status, so I am sure you just repeat it in the theme of Parody

There are complaints for this Unity marketing as well...

"

Petesays:

January 30, 2020 at 1:03 am • Reply "
    "Maybe it is time for us Unity users to team up and do a class action lawsuit against Unity Technologies for this very blatant false advertising on this intentional heavy fraud level.

Many of the things promoted as production ready and working are completely broken.
    And they have been known to be broken to Unity Technologies before this was released as release version and then yet again lied about as working."

Hubba hubba...who do you trust, who do you trust.

Dear
    Why? there is no marketing communication,
    why did you not give the means to position lightwave on the market with marketing? Communicating also means having positive or negative feedback allowing the visibility and positioning of Lightwave to change on the market.
    Create a site dedicated to Lightwave to promote the features, the new Tools, the potential and more.
    Give us stars in the eyes with great publicity on Lightwave's new products.
    You should to think about the users who have supported Lightwave since a very long time, assuring them that the continuity of development will be well preserved.
    You should also think about potential future users with communication that shows that lightwave is there for them too.
    Do not do this: that means not making future for customers want to discover or buy Lightwave = a loss of visibility on the market = that causes the slow death of lightwave, because is becoming more and more unknown.
    You are the parents of a fabulous creation tool, we are the sponsors or godfather by having bought licenses for several years. We do not want to see Lightwave stay in the shadows, but we want to see it grow and open up to the world, open up with new users, we want the best of evolution for that we love .... this is the case with Lightwave.
    Friendly
    sylvain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast