Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying X570 / Ryzen 9 issue

Annoying X570 / Ryzen 9 issue

...so, this one is bothering me, and I'm posting it here because it only materializes itself when working on Lightwave.

I have a proper HI-Fi system, and I use my PC as a source for much of the music I play. Thus, I have an external DAC, and hooked up via USB (there are advantages / disadvantages with both USB and optical sound transference.

This is what happens: When I am working with high polygon (anything above 500k) objects or scenes, zooming, panning, or directly manipulating polygons, there's a lot of static sounds coming from my speakers. Albeit only when music is actually playing. There's no noise when it is just hooked up and turned on, but not playing.

So it is like something is disrupting the USB signals. It does not happen during renders, and all the cores are running at max; only when I manipulate stuff on screen. And since it only happens when using LW, I find it difficult to deduce exactly what hardware process could be behind this.

I have never experienced this on any of my previous systems

Any thoughts?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Since you're using external hardware, I don't know if this will relate but....

It used to be a common issue on machines with onboard sound that wasn't well shielded; that it would output a humming noise to the speakers when you did tasks that increased the CPU/GPU load. So for example, rotating a 3D object in Modeler, would cause it to hum only as the object was rotated.

I've not experienced this is some time though since most manufacturers have improved the shielding.
    uh wha?

Quote Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
    So for example, rotating a 3D object in Modeler, would cause it to hum only as the object was rotated.
    so lightwave talks to us ! i knew it i am not the only one hearing it ! )

Quote Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
    Since you're using external hardware, I don't know if this will relate but....

It used to be a common issue on machines with onboard sound that wasn't well shielded; that it would output a humming noise to the speakers when you did tasks that increased the CPU/GPU load. So for example, rotating a 3D object in Modeler, would cause it to hum only as the object was rotated.

I've not experienced this is some time though since most manufacturers have improved the shielding.
    yeah - but since this is not an issue during renders, then CPU load can be ruled out at least
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Thats one of the other oddities about it; I don't remember it ever doing it during rendering, playing games etc.. it just seemed to do it on short duration stuff like 3D viewport manipulation.
    uh wha?

Not saying that it is exactly this problem, but one possibility with no solution. Coil whine from GPU

https://www.howtogeek.com/297166/wha...f-it-on-my-pc/

"In bad cases, you can actually hear the pitch of the coil whine change as the GPU draws more or less power, and the electrical frequency across various components shifts. It might be particularly noticeable when running a 3D game or high-intensity graphics application."

Does the video card have an audio driver when installing the GPU drivers?

I got an audio box USB but when I install my graphics driver I make sure
    to uncheck the graphics card HD audio driver when I install the GPU drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    Does the video card have an audio driver when installing the GPU drivers?

I got an audio box USB but when I install my graphics driver I make sure
    to uncheck the graphics card HD audio driver when I install the GPU drivers.
    I have disabled the AMD HD audio in device manager - but haven't tested the result yet.

I recon this whole thing might be because the USB controller now being integrated in the CPU now - one of the reasons we can no longer use Windows 7.

Maybe an PCI USB card will fix it, as it has it's own USB controller?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

unshielded cables? Are you computer and amp on the same power outlet? Homes generally have power split into opposite frequencies on different outlets. It can do strange things to electronics when you mix them. I remember back when we used the Toaster, we had to have everything on the same outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    unshielded cables? Are you computer and amp on the same power outlet? Homes generally have power split into opposite frequencies on different outlets. It can do strange things to electronics when you mix them. I remember back when we used the Toaster, we had to have everything on the same outlet.
    The DAC is on a different outlet as the computer, as the stereo is at the opposite side of the room from it. Going to test running the DAC on same outlet, but again, this was never an issue on previous systems
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Well, tried everything running from the same socket - no difference.

Tried fireing up Witcher 3 whilst playing music - no issue

So this is only when manipulating large loads on-screen in LW - not whilst rendering.

OpenGL interfering with USB signals somehow?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Did you try different USB ports?

You could also try optical directly from the on board sounds, current DACs are quite decent (amps are a different issue).

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Did you try different USB ports?

You could also try optical directly from the on board sounds, current DACs are quite decent (amps are a different issue).

Cheers,
    Mike
    Yeah I've tried all USB ports, including the front panel ones.

Think I'm gonna pick up a PCI USB controller card, see how that works.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

try uninstalling the graphics driver and then install an older version of the GPU driver.

In the days of analogue, we had to routinely throw away cables that couldn't get the job done without interference. Even cables that worked at one point, would stop working properly over time, ,even shielded ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast