Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Is the LW Website Falling Apart

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    That "next version" DID come out (LW2019), and not only did they fail to even announce it in the "news", they never managed to "put together something" about it in the subsequent two years, either.
    Said with a smile,
    Are you angry at NewTek?
    Your posts are reading like you want to lay down a bunch of whoop-*** insults on them.

    Enjoy your great life.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

  2. #17
    Medical Animator mummyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,070
    Ya, just figured it's worth a mention that it's getting some updates, even if it's cosmetic. Hope that changes soon.

  3. #18
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Said with a smile,
    Are you angry at NewTek?
    Your posts are reading like you want to lay down a bunch of whoop-*** insults on them.

    Enjoy your great life.
    Probably a huge frustration, I think it is mostly know as a general feeling from most LW users that the Marketing has been bad for many years, and from what JWiede is posting, I can not see anything in there to be interpreted as insults, it would be an insult to not speak up about what many people considered as bad handling of something...as long as you do it with a proper tone, but it is inevitable to say bad..when things are not good ..isnīt it?

    Wether or not this is subjective or objective enough..who knows, I bet some people and especially Newtek may disagree that the marketing is bad...not something you admit to willingly, since the very admission to it being bad doesnīt put yourself or the marketing in better light either, and in such case it is of little point to arguing about it and admit to it..more constructive is to listen to it all..and improve on that side.

    I am sure Jwiede has a great life..he seem to be doing good

  4. #19
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Marketing Makes me think about the resources they got, which I donīt know for sure..but seems limited, and you also need to start with the very intent and interest from Vizrt and what they plan, only after that can a marketing strategy take place I reckon.
    But ..if not hiring and using their own staff, use whatever else nature provides for free for you..and in this case, the users themself.

    Maybe they have done that to a certain extent, using Oliver, Mark Warner etc..thos who provides tutes and content etc..but perhaps incorporate that even more to their strategy..and also actually think about giving something back, like reduced upgrades, or bundles of plugins etc..something that recognizes the effort and time users may set aside for the greater good of the LW community.


    NeonZ Entertainment provided a comprehensive index rendering of almost all Lightwave 2018-2019 scenes and content..
    https://www.youtube.com/user/NeonZEntertainment/videos


    Erikals provides case studies of plugins and how they work.
    Erikals..plugins..
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...95DCA5001810EB

  5. #20
    Hardcore Lightwaver Photogram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    304
    Dual Xeon E5-2697 V2 3.5 GHZ // RTX 2080Ti // 64 gig DDR 3 // 48 cores // Windows 10

  6. #21
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Photogram View Post
    That was just recently posted some hour ago on post 14, and those "page updates are one year old.

  7. #22
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...those "page updates are one year old.
    They're not exactly a year old on lightwave3d.com. The most recent snapshot on archive.org is from April 2019 and it shows that these 2019 pages did not exist then. The most recent tutorials that appeared in that April 2019 snapshot were for the 2015 release.

    Still, better late than never.

    Someone probably realized this 2019 content was missing as they were preparing new content for the 2020 release.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 01-31-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    697
    If I get to choose whether newtek spends its limited lightwave budget on marketing or development, I will pick development 100% of the time.
    Give me a shiny new webpage for new versions and a few nice videos like they did with 2019 and I am happy. It is important however that they find someone to do the sort of customer relations thing chuck baker was doing before he retired. Right now it is pretty clear that employees with other roles are filling in on pr-duties, and that is never a good long term solution.

  9. #24
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    If I get to choose whether newtek spends its limited lightwave budget on marketing or development, I will pick development 100% of the time.
    Give me a shiny new webpage for new versions and a few nice videos like they did with 2019 and I am happy. It is important however that they find someone to do the sort of customer relations thing chuck baker was doing before he retired. Right now it is pretty clear that employees with other roles are filling in on pr-duties, and that is never a good long term solution.
    True..., but it needs a certain balance, no marketing at all whatsoever, and put it all in a drawer for non one to know about, that will not sell a single copy of lightwave..no matter how good it is.
    But that was taken to the extreme.

    The question could be asked, did they take the proper amount of the budget from the marketing part..and invested in the development? and as mentioned..perhaps utilising the community resources more, that way they may get more marketing material initially as a start up for the upcoming releases..for free initially, while they should compensate after the release is done.

    Perhaps look at the blender community with their forum ads for third party plugins, which means implementing a more dynamics forum for allowing that, it will probably help gain attention to new plugins developed much faster and focused.

    Agreed..they should look in to someone replacing Chuck, I think he did quite a decent job communicating the last two years, after the long silence that was.

  10. #25
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    They're not exactly a year old on lightwave3d.com. The most recent snapshot on archive.org is from April 2019 and it shows that these 2019 pages did not exist then. The most recent tutorials that appeared in that April 2019 snapshot were for the 2015 release.

    Still, better late than never.

    Someone probably realized this 2019 content was missing as they were preparing new content for the 2020 release.
    oki..content One year old, but the page update since april as you say, almost 7 months then.
    Proper correctness.

  11. #26

    Nah, didn't say that.

    G'day,
    ...
    Did not say he was. Read it again.
    THE LW users that you speak of probably aren't who NewTek thinks of for their marketing push.
    I'm sure, as has been seen and noted, a lot of THOSE users don't frequent here and probably would not give a rats arse about the marketing as long as the program keeps rolling out as a tool they can continue making buckets of money with.
    THOSE same users probably haven't TOUCHED this forum in 10 years; yet they know there is all this kvetching going on about things we don't have control over.
    Even for myself over the past few years, I've done less to help, e.g., tutorials, pics, sharing of images and work for feedback, and more to hurt, kvetching and moaning about what I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER. I used to. Times change and we do, too.
    I look at ZBrush and their marketing. Who markets for them, basically? Their users and all that AWESOME work. Lightwave (NewTek) used to have that kinda love, too.

    Look above. Not so much anymore.
    Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Probably a huge frustration, I think it is mostly know as a general feeling from most LW users that the Marketing has been bad for many years, and from what JWiede is posting, I can not see anything in there to be interpreted as insults, it would be an insult to not speak up about what many people considered as bad handling of something...as long as you do it with a proper tone, but it is inevitable to say bad..when things are not good ..isnīt it?

    Wether or not this is subjective or objective enough..who knows, I bet some people and especially Newtek may disagree that the marketing is bad...not something you admit to willingly, since the very admission to it being bad doesnīt put yourself or the marketing in better light either, and in such case it is of little point to arguing about it and admit to it..more constructive is to listen to it all..and improve on that side.

    I am sure Jwiede has a great life..he seem to be doing good

  12. #27
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    G'day,
    ...
    Did not say he was. Read it again.
    THE LW users that you speak of probably aren't who NewTek thinks of for their marketing push.
    I'm sure, as has been seen and noted, a lot of THOSE users don't frequent here and probably would not give a rats arse about the marketing as long as the program keeps rolling out as a tool they can continue making buckets of money with.
    THOSE same users probably haven't TOUCHED this forum in 10 years; yet they know there is all this kvetching going on about things we don't have control over.

    Look above. Not so much anymore.
    Robert
    You said " Did not say he was what? " and that was to clarify what? what did I miss in my reading?

    And how is all that of what you mention about some hardcore users not in here giving a rats of marketing.....of any value for attracting new users?
    Marketing for those already comfortable with the software is of course something they shouldnīt focus on, instead marketing it good and general to attract new users.
    Or drop it all together and focus only on development and their current user base, to see if that will help Lighwave prosper.

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    443
    It looks like they trashed the copper list

  14. #29
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    It looks like they trashed the copper list
    Uhmm what?

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    It looks like they trashed the copper list
    DAN!
    Glad to see the weekend reminder: gotta update my Howler.

    I have such great success with this program. Autistic kids are particularly drawn to it. Got figure out how to "path" a tutorial where they follow the example to make it happen.
    scribbling note...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •