Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LightWave Flip Fluids

LightWave Flip Fluids

Just curious,

how do you / would you render your splash/wave animations in LightWave ?

some notes >

*some info might be incorrect, mis-leading, i take no resp... and all that jazz...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

If this is not limited to accurate physics simulations, there's also this (which could augment the "no wave sim" options):
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...or-LW2018-2019
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Just curious,

how do you / would you render your splash/wave animations in LightWave ?

some notes >

*some info might be incorrect, mis-leading, i take no resp... and all that jazz...
    ive actually just been using flip in Blender to get a sim into lightwave, I had a tight time frame so I tried several like Houdini, but quickly saw the learning curve would be quite a bit steeper, the guy who implemented flip was really quick to help with questions etc, even posted several setups along with answers, although you have no wave sim, you can apply the blender ocean modifier to the sim, its incredibly easy to use and very stable, realflow, if you have other software you can get the plugin for considerably less than full version.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Once OD_Tools shared the importer, I thought that was the no brainer choice, of sorts.
    Fun and stable, it can do as advertised. Octane churns through that beautiful water so nicely. Pun intended.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

yes, Houdini seems more tricky to set up, i'd also like to know the calculation time difference between Houdini / B FlipFluids / Deep Rising

the most interesting apps-plugins seem to be >

Houdini Indie  (320 + 270 each year)
    Blender FlipFluids  (270)
    Deep Rising  (250)

Lately i think Deep Rising has been coming along >

Might land on Deep Rising actually... we'll see.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-29-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    If this is not limited to accurate physics simulations, there's also this (which could augment the "no wave sim" options):
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...or-LW2018-2019
    no, a main focus of physics sims here, thanks tho' an important link and great contribution from DPont.  

I think it's only fair to integrate UP in there. Pro is LW Integration. Con is poor collision detection with deforming geometry as well as promised expansion modules which don't appear to be happening.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

yes, Houdini seems more tricky to set up, i'd also like to know the calculation time difference between Houdini / B FlipFluids / Deep Rising

the most interesting apps-plugins seem to be >

Houdini Indie  (320 + 270 each year)
    Blender FlipFluids  (270)
    Deep Rising  (250)

Lately i think Deep Rising has been coming along >

Might land on Deep Rising actually... we'll see.
    just to point out, Houdini free has the sims, and as far as I know it exports too
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Houdini free has the sims, and as far as I know it exports too
    unfortunately it is non-commercial.
    so only applicable for testing.

I think it's only fair to integrate UP in there. Pro is LW Integration.
    Con is poor collision detection with deforming geometry as well as promised expansion modules which don't appear to be happening.
    yeah, I just think it lacks too many features, no particles or foam, no motion blur, poor collision, +no further development (it seems).

OD shelf tools isn't compulsory to export from Houdini to Lightwave, you can do that manually (in sdf VDB or .OBJ sequence, your choice). OD shelf tools simplifies the process, of course.
    You can also export flip fluid from Blender without OD_tools as .OBJ sequences manually. OD tools script will of course simplify greatly the process as it exports all at once, much quicker than from Blender native exporter and creates the lws.
    So your price comparison chart is a bit misleading. On the other hand, you can do so many more things in Houdini that you can export to LW (clouds, smoke, fire, debris, accurate dynamics) that the much higher price tag becomes quite relative if you want to have solutions for other FX than just flip fluids.
    I would add that Flip Fluids for Blender is very easy to learn, but you can't do as much things as you can in Houdini. For instances, waves on a huge ocean isn't that easy in Flip fluids for Blender.

Edit : in my tests, calculation times are way much higher with flip fluids in Blender than in Houdini. You get what you pay for. Not to say FF for Blender is not good : i use it a lot and will continue to use it. But I'm pretty sure when i have finished to learn Houdini, it will be a no-brainer, especially with regards to speed and flexibility.
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 01-30-2020 at 10:41 PM.

yeah, I just think it lacks too many features, no particles or foam, no motion blur, poor collision, +no further development (it seems).
    Yes agree. Hurley just disappeared woth no notice or updates for his plugins.

I have bought Advanced Placement which was never updated to 2018+ and is still very unstable. Waste of money.

DeepRising seems too expensive for the mediocre results and unintuitive workflow to me.

I would rather rent Houdini Indie for a year or two.

However I'm covered with various fluid tools in Blender and Cinema.

Hopefully NewTek fixed Alembic for the new LW version.

Edit : in my tests, calculation times are way much higher with flip fluids in Blender than in Houdini.
    You get what you pay for. Not to say FF for Blender is not good : i use it a lot and will continue to use it.
    Thanks for the input on the time, i'm quite curious to what the difference is, twice as slow? might have to run tests down the line.

----------------------------------------------------

I have bought Advanced Placement which was never updated to 2018+ and is still very unstable. Waste of money.
    part reason why Advanced Placement LW2018 /2019 ain't updated is because of a LightWave bug, it seems.
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1580697

DeepRising seems too expensive for the mediocre results and unintuitive workflow to me.
    nah, nowhere near expensive, but i agree the results could be better. it is coming along tho'

I would rather rent Houdini Indie for a year or two.
    cool, but it could get more expensive if you are looking at a 10-years span. $2000+

The good thing is that there's finally some mid-range competition / options.   
    Last edited by erikals; 01-31-2020 at 12:26 PM.

... part reason why Advanced Placement LW2018 /2019 ain't updated is because of a LightWave bug, it seems...

nah, nowhere near expensive, but i agree the results could be better. it is coming along tho'

cool, but it could get more expensive if you are looking at a 10-years span. $2000+

The good thing is that there's finally some mid-range competition / options.
    Thanks for the info about AP!

Yes fully agree, rental (Houdini Indie) is more expensive over time - and at the end you have nothing. A reason I don't like rental. However with Houdini I would make an exception - it's price is extremely fair for what you get.

Base on what I've read about Houdini, if you rented it for this 10 year span, you would end up with a boatload of irreplaceable knowledge about a really difficult program.
    Knowledge can't be said to be "nothing". The knowledge, for me, would be worth the 2k.
    Besides, if one is making money off this field, clients get to pay for our cool tools.

edit: Marander, it may read like I'm disagreeing. I'm not. Concurring with what you said.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Base on what I've read about Houdini, if you rented it for this 10 year span, you would end up with a boatload of irreplaceable knowledge about a really difficult program.
    Knowledge can't be said to be "nothing". The knowledge, for me, would be worth the 2k.
    Besides, if one is making money off this field, clients get to pay for our cool tools.

edit: Marander, it may read like I'm disagreeing. I'm not. Concurring with what you said.
    Yes, good point - agree, the gained knowledge can be worth alot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast