Thread: Tricaster Mini 4K - DHCP Server

Tricaster Mini 4K - DHCP Server

Hello.

We've been using our new TC Mini 4K for a few days now, which happen to coincide with massive issues on the overall Harvard network.
    This morning, our IT department figured out that the TC Mini has been acting as a DHCP server, assigning addresses to all computers on our VLAN of the Harvard network (Fun!).

I'm chatting with Newtek CS right now, and they said it's not a bug, it's a feature (https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...etworking-Tips).

The TC Mini has a DHCP server that's always on (news to me). It's supposed to recognize a DHCP server on an external network, and then shut off, but it's not doing that.

Our IT department won't let the TC Mini back on the network until that's fixed (not unreasonable).

Anyone else heard of this? Experienced this?

Thanks.

Imry

Can IT give you a static IP reservation and you configure one of the NICs to use that? See if DHCP behaves its self per the link? Not sure if the campus network is setup in such a way that the IP could be used in all locations but hopefully that is the case.

The Tricaster Mini does have a reserved IP address on our network, which the DHCP server assigns to it when it first checks in. But I'll try to manually enter that info into the NIC and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Yeah, curious to see if manually configuring the NIC will get the DHCP stuff to finally quit for that interface, then just hope the students never use the wrong hole!

Wait, what? Random, unconfigurable, immutable DHCP service on a Tricaster!? If I hadn't read the linked KB article I wouldn't have believed it! That seems just a tad irresponsible.

Inputting the static IP address manually into the Tricaster network settings seems to have worked for now. Our DHCP server is set to assign the reserved address to the TC Mini 4K anyway, but maybe manually putting it in there speeds up that process, and avoids the TC's DHCP server from kicking in. So far, so good. Have a long broadcast this weekend, will see how it goes.

Awesome, Good luck!

We have Juniper EX switches on our network and I turned on a feature called DHCP-snooping. Once I enabled the feature on the switch connected to the Mini the problem went away.
    Before I turned on the feature the Mini was handing out addresses to the network and was causing all kind of problems for client computers.

I am guessing other switches have something like the DHCP-snooping. Basically the feature only allows address to be assigned to clients from trusted ports. The default trust work for us since our DHCP server is connected to the backbone trunk port.

You must have plugget any of the 4 NDI network ports to the Harvard Network. On the two regular ports Therese are No DHCP server running.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowjogging View Post
    You must have plugget any of the 4 NDI network ports to the Harvard Network. On the two regular ports Therese are No DHCP server running.
    This is not correct. The DHCP server binds to all network ports on the system. The two on the motherboard and the four PoE ones. It will even bind to a USB to Ethernet adapter connected to the system.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.