Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom streaming profile with a high bitrate for YouTube?

How to create a custom streaming profile with a high bitrate for YouTube?

Hello,

I have read through several explanations of how to create a custom streaml but don't see where to set the bitrate. Previously we have created events and selected a profile from a pulldown menu. However, we need to create a 4000-5000 bitrate profile as opposed to the 2840 we previously used and which showed up on the pulldown menu.

Where does one set the bitrate on a custom profile? Is that done in the TriCaster or on YouTube?

We are running Standard Edition on a 410.

Also, I assume that we will want to set our stream to 720p. Is that correct? Does YouTube prefer that setting? Where do I make that setting?

Thanks.

I want to add that today I am updating the TriCaster to the latest Standard Edition.

For Standard Edition, you need to use Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder to product new streaming profiles, then you can import these into the TriCaster. Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder is included on the system, you need to edit to Windows to access it. Just make sure that you test the profiles you create to make sure they will work correctly on the system. It is possible to make profiles that are too 'difficult' for real-time streaming out of the system.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Here's a knowledge base article on that. The pictures might help.

https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...Flash-Profiles

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

I checked out the article Kris linked for me. There is a problem: In step 13 it says "Click New next to teh Connection drop down menu in the upper left..."

My software, Standard Edition on a 410, does not give me that option. There is no button for "new." My software is different from that referenced in the article.

What am I missing?

There should be. Otherwise there isn't a way to create more than one streaming destination in the drop-down menu. There should be a New and Delete button right next to the name of the connection. Can you snap a picture of what you are seeing?

Even if you don't see the "NEW" button, if you've followed the rest of the steps, the new profile settings should appear in the "Streaming Settings" drop-down. If it worked, you'd see that as an option that you could assign to the connection you are already using.

Kris

Here is picture of my interface. I don't have a "new" button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0268.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	146755  

FYI, I am running Standard Edition on a 410. I updated the TriCaster software last night so I have the latest Standard Edition.

Hmm. I can't remember this exact version. Is there a "Create New" at the bottom of the dropdown where you see "Unnamed Connection" in that picture? That seems vaguely familiar to me. I do see that it looks like your custom Streaming Settings are showing up, so that's good progress there at least.

Kris

I was able to create two slightly different custom profiles and stream them. Two photos show the profiles created in Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3. Neither one delivered good results, but they did run.

The steps I took were:
    1. I created the profile
    2. I typed www.youtube.com into the streaming "browser."
    3. In the pulldown list I selected "create a new connection from current url." (Should YouTube be the url or should newtek be the url?)
    4. I selected "browse" from the pulldown and navigated to my custom profiles.
    5. I switched to my mac laptop and opened YouTube and YouTube Studio.
    6. I clicked on the red camera icon with the + sign and "create."
    7. I clicked on Go Live
    8. I selected NEW STREAM, gave it a name and said not for kids.
    9. Clicked the blue box for CREATE STREAM.
    10. From there I got the stream key and the stream url and entered those keys in the streaming browser on the TriCaster.

It worked but I don't think it is streaming at the bitrate setting of 4000 that I specified in the custom profile.

For the second profile in the pictures, I selected "drop frames" instead of "lower quality." I see no indication that frames were dropped or that the quality was better.

Do I have my settings right in the custom Adobe Flash Media Encoder files?

The imagery of Folklorica dancers is very kinetic. Every pixel is rapidly changing in color and value. So I need the higher bitrate. Is there any other way to achieve this on a TriCaster 410 running Standard Edition?

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first profile.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.37 MB 
ID:	146771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first settings.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	146772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	second profile.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	146773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	second settings.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	146774  

It looks like you are doing it correctly there. You could probably try taking one of the archived files from the stream and drop it into something like MediaInfo or VLC to determine if you are actually getting the bitrate you are trying to do.

You might try increasing the keyframe frequency to 2 seconds and see if that helps at all.

Kris

Using Media info I examined the bitrate of two different streams that were saved in the TriCaster. The most recent stream which I tried a couple days ago after creating a custom profile with Adobe Flash Media Encoder was at around 4000 kbs, which is the setting a created. Another saved stream I examined with MediaInfo indicated a stream of around 1800 which is consistent with the non custom profile we used found in the pulldown menu.

Both of these streams seemed equally bad. I am puzzled.

If MediaInfo says a saved stream is a 4000kbs stream, does that mean that it really left the TriCaster at that rate? Could it be that all the MediaInfo reports is that that is bitrate I set and hoped would be sent?

Using VLC, I replayed the two streams, the 4000kbs looks much better than the lower bitrate. BUT, when watching the supposed 4000kbs livestream on YouTube during the broadcast it looked no better than the lower bitrate.

Hmmmm.

The archive file is what the TriCaster encoded and sent out.

A lot of CDN will recompress your stream to save on bandwidth on their end. You want to send them the best you can, but once you reach that limit it will no make any more difference as their encoder is what you are seeing.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you all. Here is what I have learned.

According to MediaInfo, we are now streaming at 4000kbs. (I determined this by analyzing the stream saved inside our TriCaster 410 with MediaInfo.) However, what our audience sees is still low quality because apparently the CDN--whoever that is--recompresses our stream, delivers it to YouTube and by the time YouTube sends it back out the stream is only 2215kbs. I determined this by downloading from YouTube their archived copy of our stream and measured it with MediaInfo as I did our saved stream in the TriCaster.

I have reported this to our IT department. Do IT departments negotiate with CDNs regarding an issue such as ours? What is our recourse at this point to get a better quality image on a YouTube stream? Our college network speed seems to be more than adequate. When connected by ethernet, not wireless, Speedtest reports 20Mbs up and down, sometimes more, sometimes less.

The good news though is that we were able to successfully create a custom profile of 4000kbs with Adobe Flash Media Encoder and use that profile in our TriCaster 410 running Standard Edition.

It didn't look like there was a CDN between you and YouTube. Your streaming settings you posted used a YouTube URL, so they should be your CDN. It might be worth asking YouTube about it. Perhaps they can take a look at any logs on the streams and see what is happening on that end.

Kris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast