Thread: OBJ export not saving OctaneRender materials in *.mtl file

Wary Lamb Rejoining Flock Scott Gammans's Avatar

OBJ export not saving OctaneRender materials in *.mtl file

I have a LightWave model that I am rendering with OctaneRender. The model is in LW 2018 *.lwo format and has 244 surfaces containing OctaneRender material nodes. I would like to try opening this model in Cinema 4D with the OctaneRender material nodes intact to evaluate the OR plugin in C4D.

If I export the model to OBJ format using the exporter in Modeler, when I open the model in Cinema 4D, the surface assignments to the polygons are intact but the OctaneRender material node definitions are lost. I suppose that makes sense; Cinema 4D can only read the materials that LightWave saved to the *.mtl materials file during the OBJ export process. And of course, LightWave’s OBJ exporter only saves the OpenGL node settings that I defined in my OctaneRender material nodes; it ignores the OctaneRender stuff.

Before I manually reapply 244 sets of OctaneRender material settings in C4D, is there any automated (or even semi-automated!) tool that can help me with transferring the OctaneRender materials out along with the geometry? Is there a better way to do this than exporting to OBJ? (I have already tried FBX and Alembic but those do not preserve the OR materials either.)

Thanks...

I would surmise that the orbx format is the only one capable of such a task. As I've not paid attention to the latest and greatest, I am unsure as to the state of this possibility.

I think you are, as they say, hosed. If you find a way, let us know. I find myself in something of a similar conundrum.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Nope, already eliminated that possibility too. There’s a long discussion thread on the OTOY website where one of the OR developers says that’s not actually what that format is for (even though their own documentation seems to suggest that it is!) and that save-to-ORBX in LightWave and open-from-ORBX in C4D wont work.

I know the LightWave SDK well enough—I suppose that I could write a plugin that iterates the OctaneRender materials and generates a corrected *.mtl file, but TBH I only have two large models like this, and the Wavefront documentation on the *.mtl file spec is a bit sparse. By the time I debugged all the kinks in the *.mtl generator, the end result would probably still require some manual cleanup, and for that amount of time spent I could have done it by hand from the start. That’s why I’m hoping someone knows a shortcut.
    Last edited by Scott Gammans; 01-26-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Not necessarily a big help but can you save the materials from the ORBX to LocalDB and then import to C4D from there? Not an automated solution but would save rebuilding all the materials from scratch?
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Now THAT is not a bad idea. I haven’t really used Live DB yet because it sometimes doesn’t play nice with *.lwo, but in theory that sounds like a promising avenue...