Thread: GPU and denoiser

GPU and denoiser

Did anyone fathom out why the GPU denoiser causes a black render when using VPR?

I've seen a few LW tutorials online where the person has used GPU denoiser with VPR and has had no problems

When I use it, after a short while, the render turn black!

Cheers
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

User error - you didn't set it up right!! Sorry couldn't resist. It must be an issue with your graphics card. Did this just start happening or has it been this way? I've got a crappy Geforce GTX 1050ti and the denoiser works as expected.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    User error - you didn't set it up right!! Sorry couldn't resist. It must be an issue with your graphics card. Did this just start happening or has it been this way? I've got a crappy Geforce GTX 1050ti and the denoiser works as expected.
    It's always been like it, I just wondered if anyone had found a solution, it works fine with an f9 render.
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    It's always been like it, I just wondered if anyone had found a solution, it works fine with an f9 render.
    Clear scene and add an object and turn on the GPU denoiser and hit VPR. Should work. I rarely use it with F9 renders but its pretty nice in VPR depending on what your doing.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I have the exact same card on my PC and the MaxQ version on my laptop and both are showing artifacts in both VPR and F9. VPR is showing a "scratch paper like" look while rendering and the render itself also has the same artifacts. Any idea what is that about? Uses error?
    Dell XPS 8930 8-Core i9 9900K - 64GB DDR4 - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - Windows 10
    MSI Prestige PS63 4-Core i7 8565U - 16GB DDR4 - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q - Windows 10

Well I did manage to get the GPU denoiser to work with VPR, but it's hit and miss. It might work for a while but then I get the black screen issue back. Once that happens I usually have to re-boot the computer to get it to work again on any type of render, VPR or f9.

As regards to using it in VPR, the results were awful.
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    Well I did manage to get the GPU denoiser to work with VPR, but it's hit and miss. It might work for a while but then I get the black screen issue back. Once that happens I usually have to re-boot the computer to get it to work again on any type of render, VPR or f9.

As regards to using it in VPR, the results were awful.
    Yeah any details get blurred into oblivion with the lower resolution. I was excited about the denoiser and experimented with it extensively, but in the end gave up on it and bought Denoise AI from Topaz labs - (cheap $49 on sale).
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.