Thread: Bullet Dynamics for Lightwave

Bullet Dynamics for Lightwave

I didn't see any other comprehensive bullet tutorials out there, so I decided to put in the extensive work to get one published.

Product page: https://www.liberty3d.com/2020/01/bu...for-lightwave/
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Nice!

Sweet.
    You cover it all?
    then I must ask..did you cover bullet bone dynamics within a character, not just ragdolling but full characters, or low res ragdolls and linked to fuller characers?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Sweet.
    You cover it all?
    then I must ask..did you cover bullet bone dynamics within a character, not just ragdolling but full characters, or low res ragdolls and linked to fuller characers?
    There are many examples included that can be applied to characters (IE: you could take my antenna demo and do the exact same thing within a character rig). As long as you're talking rigid or parts bodies, things actually compute relatively fast and the overhead is usually quite tolerable; you don't need proxy objects for these.

However, deforming bodies are a completely different story:

A) I do not recommend trying to do character cloth with bullet, and I say this in the tutorial too. It's just way too slow and there are better options. The only time I feel it is practical is for supplementary stuff like capes or dangling accessories.

B) The upper limit for deforming bodies is around 4,000 polygons (assuming dynamics FPS of 180) after that, you'll have enough time to make coffee between every change you want to see in a production scene. You absolutely need metalink or cagedeformer to circumvent this limitation.

Edit: I will say metalink has been vastly improved since I did my syflex content. The errors in nodal metalink that I talked about are gone and baking is no longer required.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 01-26-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Looks fantastic Ryan! I'll be saving my pennies. I've had some success with Bullet, mostly in doing geometry based dynamic hair, but I'd sure love to go deeper into it with your expertise!

Blog Entries
    This is a fantastic addition to Liberty 3D.

I'll be investing in these tutorials very soon.

ryan what a cool surprise! thanks for your time and efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    B) The upper limit for deforming bodies is around 4,000 polygons (assuming dynamics FPS of 180) after that, you'll have enough time to make coffee between every change you want to see in a production scene. You absolutely need metalink or cagedeformer to circumvent this limitation.

Edit: I will say metalink has been vastly improved since I did my syflex content. The errors in nodal metalink that I talked about are gone and baking is no longer required.
    Yes..Metalink is what I had in mind as well for approaching bullet bone dynamics..Though I havenīt really worked with it..just thought that should do it.

Yes..Metalink is what I had in mind as well for approaching bullet bone dynamics..Though I havenīt really worked with it..just thought that should do it.
    Bullet bone dynamics do not require metalink because applying bullet to bones essentially means using null-colliders; this does not involve the geometry of the mesh at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    Bullet bone dynamics do not require metalink because applying bullet to bones essentially means using null-colliders; this does not involve the geometry of the mesh at all.
    Indeed, but I think there was some other ideas I had on actually using a ragdoll as the main reference and linking, but that could also be the wrong approach for it.

Indeed, but I think there was some other ideas I had on actually using a ragdoll as the main reference and linking, but that could also be the wrong approach for it.
    Reminder to myself, I forgot to bug report it, there was an issue when cloning ragdolls, all the hinge and connections is broken when cloning a ragdoll.

I like your no-fluff tutorials and how you just cover what's important. I have the Syflex and Octane ones so far. The Octane one has been very helpful