Thread: Poor quality stream

Poor quality stream

Lately, our stream is looking very jaggy and pixillated. In the past it has been fine. Something has happened but I am not sure what. I don't know if somehow our settings are not right in the TriCaster (a 410) or if it is the network at our college or if it is the IP or something else.

We are streaming to YouTube. We are at a college. We stream concerts and our team's basketball games and, like I said above, we have gotten good results in the past.

Speedtest indicates up and down speeds around 20Mbs. We are connected by ethernet. Also, the machine we monitor the broadcast on is likewise connected by ethernet and Speedtest indicates the same 20Mbs speeds up and down.

Here is our process that has worked in the past:

We set up a new live event on a separate computer, usually a laptop which is connected wirelessly. Once that is accomplished, we go to the TriCaster and follow the instructions in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ylDZ25p4Bw, and start streaming from the TriCaster. We go back to the laptop to preview and then go live over YouTube.

Very pixillated.

The college bought the TCXD410 about 3 years ago and we have not updated it. I plan to do that on Monday in case that helps the TriCaster integrate better with YouTube. (However, for some reason, when I go to the update tab on the TriCaster, it says that the page no longer exists.)

Some of the specs on the machine are:

TCXD410 Build Number 2-5-151124B
    Driver 1.99

There is no antivirus software installed so as to not interfere with the TriCaster, but maybe our IT department is doing something to interfere with our machine or they have put it behind some kind of a firewall.

Or my streaming settings are wrong.

Or the IP is doing something, even though they supposedly supply the college with a massive pipe. However, I think some throttling down may be occuring that steps on our machine. The reason I think this is that sometimes Speetest will report that we have 400Mbs up and down, then a few minutes later it will report that we have 20 up and down. This happens even after hours when traffic is low. So, there is some kind of adjusting going on with the pipe and our IT and the IP, it seems to me. Our IT dept. has assured me that the only network that gets throttled is the wireless networks around campus, not the ethernet connections.

Since YouTube has been changing its interface lately, could that be an issue?

Is there a way to test our streaming output? The video looks great on out TriCaster monitors but I have no idea what we are actually sending out the back of the machine. I'd like to be able to say to our IT department that our output is good, but how can I know?

Have you checked to make sure your stream quality settings are set correctly? In the video you referenced, they do show that at about 2:45 in. https://youtu.be/5ylDZ25p4Bw?t=165

Make sure that somebody hasn't accidentally set that down to some low quality, low bandwidth setting. It sounds like you have plenty of bandwidth available, so that would be the first thing I'd check.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Kris, we did select that setting of 1280x720 2048k but the results are still jaggy and pixillated.

Interestingly, when we follow the instructions in the video, we also get a dialogue box that asks if ours is an RTMP stream. I respond that it is. The video instructions don't say such a choice will have to be made. Is this a hint of what might be going on.

Several years ago we used to stream on ustream and I remember there was an elaborate set up that required something regarding RTMP.

Do you have a link to one of your live events? It might help to see what it looks like on there.

Kris

I will try to do that, but maybe tomorrow.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lbrx2VYlhQ

Thank you for your help.

There is a lot of motion in that video I think 4mbit (4000k instead of 2048k) would be the lowest you want to go for the video bitrate when doing 720p. Youtube also recomends up to 5mbits when uploading content at 720p30 like you are doing.

OK, I will try a higher setting. Thank you. I am not in front of the TriCaster at the moment; as I recall, I don't think that 4000K is available in the pull down list. How do I create a custom setting?

Not sure, on the TC1 you can easily select the bitrate. Would need to check the manual of the 410 to see what it allows. Hopefully that is something you can adjust since various sites will have different bandwidths available.

I think on standard edition software, which I believe 2-5 was, the streaming tops out at 2 Mbps. That being said, there are a lot more recent builds of that software that you could consider updating to. I'm not sure it would help a ton in that high-contrast high-motion scenario, but the build you are running is about 4 years old and there is a new version of standard edition dated January 10th of this year. It might be worth a try. Other than that, you could look at upgrading to Advanced Edition, which would give you the more customizable control.

Kris