Thread: Subpatch Image Distortion

icon kid

Subpatch Image Distortion

Is there a way to make an image not change it's shape and size when an object is converted to subpatch? See attached picture. This is the lower part of a stapler. The metal plates (in gray) is an image. When subpatched the image adheres to the spline lines of the subpatch -- not good. I tried selections from the "Subpatch Interpolation" menu (Linear, Subpatch, Linear Corners, Linear Edges, Across discontinuous Edges), but none of those changed anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subpatch.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	146722  

Are you using native subpatches, or Catmull-Clark? If using Catmull-Clark, switch over to native subpatches, those work with the UV Subpatch Interpolation.

Also, I would try to remake your model, and try to keep it to all quads, it will lessen the distortion, and make it easier to add hold edges.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subpatch.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	146723 need to knife the geometry in top or side view, the more cuts the better it will hold it's shape, and as already stated keep it quadratic and LW subs

Yep - good advice from all the above. gerry's advice will get this model to do what you desire, its my advice and Kryslin's that a "re-write" is in order. There is a real art to sub-D modeling and poly flow is real important. I rarely model anything in hard polys anymore as Sub-D models give you more detail at close camera views.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Here's a simple, all-quads version of your object. The extra lines, (mentioned above) can be added with the Connect or Knife tools. Use the Edit Edges tool to place the new lines where you want to control the mesh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All Quads Version.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	146730

icon kid
    OK. I managed to get the results I wanted by making eight or ten slices (see picture). Very tedious to figure out exactly where to make the cuts so that they could be adjusted to within the necessary ranges, which added 81 polygons to what was 430. I'll take the advice to us all quads for subpatching in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subpatch2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	146741  

Yeah that's super sloppy, but works I guess.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by icon kid View Post
    OK. I managed to get the results I wanted by making eight or ten slices (see picture). Very tedious to figure out exactly where to make the cuts so that they could be adjusted to within the necessary ranges, which added 81 polygons to what was 430. I'll take the advice to us all quads for subpatching in the future.
    I'd be cautious about the mess in the two "uprights", you've got some odd-looking pole-like poly flow going on there, could lead to rendering artifacts. If possible, you want it to look cleaner, more like cclarke's flow.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yep. Cleaner poly flow and everything will be better. You have way more geometry than you need to make that shape using sub patches. You generally want only the edge loops necessary to hold the shape when sub patch modeling, and as few triangles as possible.

In the docs, have a look at Richard Culver's excellent subpatch modelling tutorial. It's old, but it still holds true: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...patch+Modeling

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3