Thread: LW 2015 with its benchmark scene on Threadripper 3960x

LW 2015 with its benchmark scene on Threadripper 3960x

Got my new Threadripper build to show first signs of life (no OC so far).

Thought, hey why not stress test the CPU with old LW 2015 and its benchmark scene?

The best time with my Dual Xeon 16 core/32 thread machine was 34 mins I think (and man is this thing loud when it really uses its CPUs). Bought it about 7 years ago.

Now the time is 17 min and 48 sec and the machine sounds like a summer breeze - it's water cooled :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benchmark.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	146720

System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

I've had some weird problems running LW 2015 on my new Threadripper system. I have to run it in compatability mode for Win 7 or it constantly crashes. Even then I have weird problems mostly with performance and loaded images going flaky. Does 2015 seem to run smoothly on your Threadripper so far?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I've had some weird problems running LW 2015 on my new Threadripper system. I have to run it in compatability mode for Win 7 or it constantly crashes. Even then I have weird problems mostly with performance and loaded images going flaky. Does 2015 seem to run smoothly on your Threadripper so far?
    How many logical threads do you have? I seem to recall LW2015 and prior had a limit where if you have 64 or more you had to limit available threads or get odd behavior, but don't recall the issue precisely.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    How many logical threads do you have? I seem to recall LW2015 and prior had a limit where if you have 64 or more you had to limit available threads or get odd behavior, but don't recall the issue precisely.
    I have 64 threads. I remember reading the 2990WX has a slightly different design with the way it accesses memory than other Threadrippers so maybe that has something to do with it. I just had the idea to turn half the CPU cores off and so far 2015 seems to run fine on 32 threads without having to run it in compatibility mode either. It looks like a workaround but it's a bit of a pain to have to reboot in order to turn half the cores off.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

My new build has the 3960X (third generation Threadripper) = 24 cores / 48 threads.
    64 GB Ram (4 x 16 GB Sticks - dual rank, Samsung B-die, in quad channel mode).
    3 x M.2 SSD
    1 x Sata SSD
    1 x RTX 2080 TI (more are planned) for GPU work
    1 x RTX Quadro 4000 for Display

Latest Windows 10 64 bit

LW 2015 installed without issues
    It started without issues
    It rendered without issues
    Even the "drop the license file to Layout start screen" thing worked without issues.

But, so far I have just used the marble scene as a CPU stress test as I am still working on the build.

So, I can't say much about real world stability on this new system.

Great machine madno!

What MoBo, RAM specs/timings and cooling system did you use? Does your MoBo have 8 RAM slots?

If you want to compare with other Threadripper systems and to finetune Bios settings, RAM timings, run the Cinebench R15 and R20.

Thanks Marander:

Happy to answer your question as I am in "enthusiastic mode" at the moment :-)

Components:

• CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960x
    • Board: ASrock TRX40 Creator (yes, eight slots up to 256 GB / four PCIe slots (x16 x8 x16 x8) / three m.2 slots / 2.5 Gb Lan + 10 Gb Lan / Wifi included)
    • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34 (F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR) (running at 3333 with same subtimings at the moment)
    • GPU 1: RTX 2080 TI Founders Edition (more are planned but waiting for what the Ampere generation will bring)
    • GPU 2: RTX Quadro 4000
    • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
    • Cable set for PSU: Cablemod Pro blood red
    • Radiators: Alphacool X-Flow
    • Pump: EK Revo D5
    • CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm NEO
    • GPU Block: EK Vektor Copper
    • Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
    • Storage: 1 x 512 GB SSD Samsung 970 PRO, 1 x 250 GB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 x Samsung SSD 860 PRO 1 TB
    • Tube: EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm
    • Fittings: EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm
    • Fans for radiators: EK-Vardar EVO 120ER Black BB (500-2200rpm)
    • Fans for case: Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB 140 mm
    • A lot of other little parts I did not know in advance that I need them

Got most of the stuff over the last year when there was a sale.

Issues I had / have so far:

• Board: Came in DOA - was replaced by the distributor at no costs, RGB control software is limited and forgets it's settings all the time (maybe issues with writing back to the bios sometimes), fan control software cannot read the fan's rpm signal (maybe I am doning something wrong).
    • Case: Its ok but not much depth on the backside to sort the cables, some other minor annoyances and the led strip in the inside of the case is not working - send a support ticket and am waiting for a solution
    • CPU block: Nice, but the RGB elements do not work - send a support request and am waiting for an answer
    • PSU: Super nice, but the monstrous cables that came with it are stubborn - it was difficult to get them sorted in the case's back compartment - that was the reason I was able to justify the cost of the Cablemod replacement set (real reason was of course the looks ;-)
    • PSU cable set: Don't buy a set that says "AX series compatible", it is not - the AX1600i uses a type 4 ATX cable not a type 3 like all the other AX models - you need the C-Series RMi / RMx set instead - was a bit challanging to get this sorted but got a replacement free of charge from the distributor
    • Pump: Nice, but its vibrations are transferred to the case - searching for a simple decoupling solution at the moment (the noise I mentioned in the previous thread is definately from this vibration - when I tune down the pump's rpm the system's sound is nearly silent when idle and quite ok at load)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build-AMD-TRX4-3960_B.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1,004.8 KB 
ID:	146729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable-backside.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	146728

Benchmarks pending - still working on this beast. But, idle temp is around 32 degree celsius - and during the LW benchmark it was around 63 degree. As the Threadripper is rated to throttle down at 80 degree and has a max at 95 degree there is headroom left in case I really want to OC (pump, fans and radiators are also not near the limit as well as the RAM).

Conclusion:
    Should you do a custom water cooling build? Yes, but you need to be a masochist for it!
    Last edited by madno; 01-26-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Wow wicked machine madno! Thanks for the details and pics!

I'm sure VPR will fly on this rig!

Since I'm not comfortable with with watercooling I went for the 3950X (Noctua cooling and Asus board) and will update another machine to a 3900X additionally.

Not only rendering is great, everything is much more snappy than with the Core i7's I have. Didn't think I'll be so happy again with AMD since my last one I had was ages ago (Athlon64).

Downside with the R9 Threadripper vs R9 Mantisse is the double cost of CPU and mainboard (3950X vs 3960X) but it's a lovely machine for sure.