Thread: How to get the restore working?

How to get the restore working?

I just made a backup of the TC410+ AE3 and tried to boot off the drive. It would NOT boot from the new drive. Does this image need to be restored to the original boot drive to work?
    I know the backup/"mirror image" worked because it did replicate the boot drive partitions. Any time I've done this in the past, and I have done it many times with other B/U software; the B/U drive was always bootable. Here is a pic of both systems drives and the partions #1 and #2 match perfectly which is a strong indicator that the Linux created clone should work. BTW, there is the hidden system partition at the front of the drives as well. (not shown in the image below).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TriCaster Disk Management.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	146719

I have never tried to boot directly off of the backup drive because I've never assumed it is bootable. I've always used the backup/restore option on the boot screen to restore the drive and it works 100%. I think the only way to make a bootable backup is to actually clone the main drive, which the backup function does not do.

I've always just cloned the drive including both partitions. I've never had a problem replacing them or booting them that way.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Quote Originally Posted by kltv View Post
    I've always just cloned the drive including both partitions. I've never had a problem replacing them or booting them that way.

Kris
    How did you clone the boot drive? I tried using an EaseUS ToDo Backup USB boot drive, (V 9.2), but the mouse and keyboard are NOT active on the TriCaster 410 Plus when booting of the USB drive! (Strange hardware limitation - perhaps intentional. The mouse and keyboard are both wired directly into the back of the 410 Plus.) Without a mouse or keyboard I decided to just use the tools for B/U & Restore that NewTek provided.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    I have never tried to boot directly off of the backup drive because I've never assumed it is bootable. I've always used the backup/restore option on the boot screen to restore the drive and it works 100%. I think the only way to make a bootable backup is to actually clone the main drive, which the backup function does not do.
    And that is fine unless the drive itself has become unreliable, or you don't really have the time to restore from backup. It would be much faster to just boot off the USB drive and be back into production in a few minutes. Sh?t hitting the fan often seems to happen while preparing for the show due to importing media, etc..

The drive is the new USB 3.2! and I noticed the back to the TC has a couple USB 3.1 ports which makes them as fast as the eSATA port.

I've done it on the 4RU versions and not the smaller boxes, but my usual method is to use Seagate's drive utility software. I replaced all the system HDs in my older boxes with some of their FireCuda hybrid drives. I just pop the drive in one of the SATA bays and run their utility to clone the system over and then replace the drive. Usually I end up cutting myself on something metal and pointy inside the TriCaster when I do that... but other than that it works fine. The Seagate utility does require one of the drives to be a Seagate drive, either the source or the destination drive.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Broadcast Services UK
    The way to do this is to clone directly to an Sata SSD connected directly to one of the Sata ports, use the Newtek copy feature, being careful to note the serial number of the source and target drives. The machine will usually set the drive connected to the lowest number port as the source, but double check. You will then have a drive which is available as an instant replacement for the original. Using USB in my experience does not always produce a bootable drive. Make sure you disconnect the new drive before rebooting as the MBR can be corrupted if two drives with the same signature are present on bootup.