Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best external render engine?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Apparently Kray 3 for LW2018 / 2019 was released three weeks ago on 3rd January 2020.
    https://www.kraytracing.com/kray-3-0...been-released/

It was released with partial functionality. He is still working on a VPR and Kray materials. A rendering engine is worthless without an iterative renderer (VPR/IPR) for material creation and lighting setups. Of course Octane and LW native have those, so that alone leaves Kray behind the pack.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    Plus - if you have an image in Texture editor - octane can pick this up and make ALL nodel connection automatically. Juan implemented this feature years ago and it is a lifesaver. - Get T Layers - one click and it is done.
    Which only works with 2015 and earlier? Does it work with the standard material in 2018,19? If so that's not much help. So in 2015 and prior the Octane workflow is to use native VPR to setup your textures and then use the Get T layers or build the node tree from scratch?
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Which only works with 2015 and earlier? Does it work with the standard material in 2018,19? If so that's not much help. So in 2015 and prior the Octane workflow is to use native VPR to setup your textures and then use the Get T layers or build the node tree from scratch?
    Depends what texturing system you used on your models, if you used Layers (T channels) then you can use "Get T" in Octane 2020 if you wish. If you used nodal surfacing then you need to plug in textures manually OR use 3rd party OD_tools PBR Importer and give it folder with your images and Tool will hookup proper images into proper slots automatically.

On the other side i find octane nodal surfacing easier/faster to setup than LW nodal surfacing so not sure why some say it's complicated.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Depends what texturing system you used on your models, if you used Layers (T channels) then you can use "Get T" in Octane 2020 if you wish. If you used nodal surfacing then you need to plug in textures manually OR use 3rd party OD_tools PBR Importer and give it folder with your images and Tool will hookup proper images into proper slots automatically.

On the other side i find octane nodal surfacing easier/faster to setup than LW nodal surfacing so not sure why some say it's complicated.
    I can see when working with older assets that this "Get T" is a nice function but my question was more in regards to new assets - do you have to go through native LW to add your images to your models and then use the "Get T" to get them into Octane? Or just use an Octane node to add the images? Now that I've been using LW20119 for two years now I'm way more comfortable with nodes and TBH I haven't played with Octane since, so Octane may be more approachable for me at this time.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Ofcourse you need to use use octane node for material and add octane Textures image node and plug them just like in LW nodes (except you don't need separate node for normal maps in octane, it uses same texture image node for normal, color, bump, hdri... all) but with octane nodes (which is benefit 'coz it works SAME in all DCC apps using octane so you can look at tutorials for max, maya, c4d... and do same in LW and it'll render exactly same). Heck you can even leave LW nodal material and plug it in into Octane Material Pass through input (called "LightWave Material") so you can have same model saved with both material/render engines.
    Like this:
    http://prntscr.com/qum5xy

I was not fan of node editor in LW (since it's not unified material node editor and still missing important features) but i got used to it and in octane even render settings/processing is in node editor .
    Also shift click in octane IPR opens node editor of that material (option) is better than just selecting it in surface editor like LW native. Or Shift+RMB at IPR selects model in layout is also nice workflow booster of octane nodes.
    Last edited by Lewis; 01-29-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    RAM-Studio

So the LW Material input on the Octane Glossy Material is only a pass through and does not render in Octane? If so that's been there for quite some time, correct? I'd love to get Octane but its a hard to no sell to my boss. But I need to play with the new version demo and learn more about it, but still doubt I'll be able to sell it.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Have you considered renting octane? Probably a easier sell.

Yes it's pass through and you just switch to native render (octane has button for switching it back to LW render or vice versa) and you can continue your scene in LW native (highly unlikely once you properly try octane ). Best thing is that you can use demo and it's not crippled or expiring, you just have resolution limiter and watermark on renders, all other works same.

Not sure what type of work you need it for but i'm into octane for 95% of my stuff now-days (arch-viz, exterior/interior, product design, animations, car stuff). Only thing where i use native is if i have scene with hundreds of IES lights and they have to be exactly precise on intensity, then i stick to native. Everything else octane.

You can contact me on skype if you wish and i can give you quick demo/video tour so then you will be easier to sell it to your boss once you know how to show it's strength . In 2014-2015 when i started i downloaded demo and i've read complete manual from start to end for a month of testing/playing with it before i bought and i never wanted to go back to native engine anymore and now i have 10+ GPUs in 3 machines which in my work/projects equals 70-80 CPU render-slaves (on my previous work i had 20 i7 render machines and i couldn't match speed of 3*GTX 780 speeds and let alone todays GPUs) easily by speed (let alone electricity bill or pricing).
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Have you considered renting octane? Probably a easier sell.
    That's a no go for sure. We have 2 dozen subscriptions of Autodesk's Design and Manufacturing Collection and my boss despises the whole thing. And we just dropped our Adobe subscription for Affinity because of the ridiculous costs. If I go to my boss with a rental option he'll tell us to use the 3DS Max that we are already paying for! (Don't want to do that. )

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yes it's pass through and you just switch to native render (octane has button for switching it back to LW render or vice versa) and you can continue your scene in LW native (highly unlikely once you properly try octane ). Best thing is that you can use demo and it's not crippled or expiring, you just have resolution limiter and watermark on renders, all other works same.

Not sure what type of work you need it for but i'm into octane for 95% of my stuff now-days (arch-viz, exterior/interior, product design, animations, car stuff). Only thing where i use native is if i have scene with hundreds of IES lights and they have to be exactly precise on intensity, then i stick to native. Everything else octane.

You can contact me on skype if you wish and i can give you quick demo/video tour so then you will be easier to sell it to your boss once you know how to show it's strength . In 2014-2015 when i started i downloaded demo and i've read complete manual from start to end for a month of testing/playing with it before i bought and i never wanted to go back to native engine anymore and now i have 10+ GPUs in 3 machines which in my work/projects equals 70-80 CPU render-slaves (on my previous work i had 20 i7 render machines and i couldn't match speed of 3*GTX 780 speeds and let alone todays GPUs) easily by speed (let alone electricity bill or pricing).
    Thanks for info its been helpful. I need to play wit hit again. 99% of our work is stills at 1k so speed is not really a huge factor. At times we need to do interior shots, but those are few and far between.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Octane all the way. I used Kray 2 for a few years, then Kray 3 was announced and I was intrigued. It never got anywhere for a while and I lost interest. I'm surprised it's still in development, and really happy I went with Octane.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    The best external render engine? There are only two options for LW as of this writing. Octane and Kray.
    There is a version of Arnold for LW as well. Not sure if it is updated to latest build or not.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...219&viewfull=1 (probably not).

That said, LW native is fairly close to Arnold anyway, so, I wouldn't invest in it. Better to go Octane or Kray, depending on your needs... or, if you are into compositing; make use of both LW Native + Kray or Octane for their respective strengths and benefits.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    There is a version of Arnold for LW as well. Not sure if it is updated to latest build or not.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...219&viewfull=1 (probably not).

That said, LW native is fairly close to Arnold anyway, so, I wouldn't invest in it. Better to go Octane or Kray, depending on your needs... or, if you are into compositing; make use of both LW Native + Kray or Octane for their respective strengths and benefits.
    from what I have read Kray doesn't work with 2018 onward, only 2015? and looking at comments on FB appears its stuck in development limbo and people have given up waiting,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

We switched to Unreal, as our render engine. It totally saved us.

also check >

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...7780664661252/

He used FG, not sure what that is ?
    1min rendertime

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    He used FG, not sure what that is ?
    Final Gather ? (I'm no expert though)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast