Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LWGreeble Uncompiled Text for Share

LWGreeble Uncompiled Text for Share

Hello all!

I wanted to give a new LW user here a copy of LWGreeble by Alexandre Labedade since the download link on the plugin page is out, but I can't find a way to attach it to a post or in a DM.

The script has been tested in 2018.0.7 and works just fine (temperamental as ever, but functional).

If anyone wants to re-compile it and post it up somewhere, I've attached a text file of it here. I would do it myself, but I just don't have anywhere to host it.

It's a fairly useful plugin; I'm not sure if there is another one available from other sources.
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 01-21-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Hello all!

I wanted to give a new LW user here a copy of LWGreeble by Alexandre Labedade since the download link on the plugin page is out, but I can't find a way to attach it to a post or in a DM.

The script has been tested in 2018.0.7 and works just fine (temperamental as ever, but functional).

If anyone wants to re-compile it and post it up somewhere, I've attached a text file of it here. I would do it myself, but I just don't have anywhere to host it.

It's a fairly useful plugin; I'm not sure if there is another one available from other sources.
    Zip it before uploading.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Zip it before uploading.
    Ahhh! Thanks, Prometheus!

Compiled script attached here.
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 01-21-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Okay... apologies, folks, that script is not working properly... or rather, not completely.

I'll have to go back through it and see what's what, then I will re-post.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    ...If anyone wants to re-compile it and post it up somewhere, I've attached a text file of it here...
    One of the main reasons to compile lscript is to protect it from editing/copying. I don't recall any of Alexandre Labedade's versions of this ever being offered as plain "ls" lscript instead of "lsc" compiled lscript.

Has the source code been licensed to share like this?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

there is no sanctuary....
    Download link seems to be working just fine on his site.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    One of the main reasons to compile lscript is to protect it from editing/copying. I don't recall any of Alexandre Labedade's versions of this ever being offered as plain "ls" lscript instead of "lsc" compiled lscript.

Has the source code been licensed to share like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Download link seems to be working just fine on his site.
    My mistake. I tried to reach the site several times in the last two days or so and could not.

Even today, I still can't reach the site.

Bill; on the site, is LWGreeble an uncompiled lscript (.ls)?

I am definitely not trying to steal anyone's work; because I could not reach the site, I assumed like so many sites for plugins over the years that the site no longer existed.

I only tried to re-create the lscript because my copy is on a drive that I can't copy / email / download files from.

Otherwise, I would have just uploaded the original ls here.

I do know that LWGreeble was free; the copy I have is an uncompiled lscript, so I would assume that's true for the original too.
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 01-21-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Freeware is not necessarily freely licensed. Licensing and cost are different things.

The scripts on http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/modeler/greeble/ have been compiled LSC for many years. The earliest I see on archive.org shows it has been LSC since 2005.

If you obtained a pre-compiled ls version, it may have been from a very early edition, without any recent improvements.

As I look more at it, I wonder if you actually got this script from zuzzabuzz (Ian Stearns), and not earthwormjim (Alexandre Labedade).

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-invitation%21

...Or maybe Ian and Alexandre shared code?
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 01-21-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Freeware is not necessarily freely licensed. Licensing and cost are different things.
    That is absolutely true. Although, in my defense, I did maintain the attribution to the original author.

The scripts on http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/modeler/greeble/ have been compiled LSC for many years. The earliest I see on archive.org shows it has been LSC since 2005.

If you obtained a pre-compiled ls version, it may have been from a very early edition, without any recent improvements.
    I can't imagine where I got the pre-compiled version if it wasn't from that site. I've only been using Lightwave since 2010 (although my first version of Lightwave was 9.3) and I certainly don't have the ability to decompile a compiled version back to its script version.

My apologies to Mr. Labedade; I have removed the attachments and will request this post be deleted.

As I look more at it, I wonder if you actually got this script from zuzzabuzz (Ian Stearns), and not earthwormjim (Alexandre Labedade).

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-invitation%21

...Or maybe Ian and Alexandre shared code?
    I'm not sure; as a general rule, when I look for plugins, the first place I start is the Lightwave home page.

It is possible, though.
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 01-21-2020 at 12:32 PM.

I did some investigation and it appears that there might have been two versions of LWGreeble at one time, EarthwormJim and zuzzabuzz, see post #6 here:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ight=lwgreeble

The 3drecursions.com linked there is defunct but archive.org gets me this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20101116...c.php?f=3&t=45

There is a non-functioning link to LWGreeble.ls by zuzzabuzz, which one might assume is not the same script as EarthwormJim's, but in the same thread zapper1998 asks zuzzabuzz to change some lines in the code, and those lines match lines in LWGreeble.ls RPschmidt attached here.

So perhaps there was one version long long time ago and it split into two separate plugins, one was based on another? I used to download stuff from 3d recursions (and here). I'll check at home if I can find anything related to this plugin in my pile of old stuff.

P.S. I vaguely remember an early open source version of this plugin but I do not know who the original author was.

P.P.S, I just noticed that raymondtrace referenced zuzzabuzz already, we are probably talking about the same thing. sorry for repeating
    Last edited by art; 01-21-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: P.P.S.

there is no sanctuary....
    I found the old LWGreeble.ls file (drobo's are wonderful, never delete anything) and it says [email protected] in the remarks. As Clouseau would say, the mystery is solv-ed.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    I did some investigation and it appears that there might have been two versions of LWGreeble at one time, EarthwormJim and zuzzabuzz, see post #6 here:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ight=lwgreeble

The 3drecursions.com linked there is defunct but archive.org gets me this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20101116...c.php?f=3&t=45

There is a non-functioning link to LWGreeble.ls by zuzzabuzz, which one might assume is not the same script as EarthwormJim's, but in the same thread zapper1998 asks zuzzabuzz to change some lines in the code, and those lines match lines in LWGreeble.ls RPschmidt attached here.

So perhaps there was one version long long time ago and it split into two separate plugins, one was based on another? I used to download stuff from 3d recursions (and here). I'll check at home if I can find anything related to this plugin in my pile of old stuff.

P.S. I vaguely remember an early open source version of this plugin but I do not know who the original author was.
    Ach! You and raymondtrace are both correct.

Since LWGreeble is the only greeble-type plugin listed on the plugins page, I assumed that Alexandre Labedade was the creator of the one that I have; but I just looked at the original script again and it does say contact [email protected].

I'm honestly not sure how I missed it. I was going back and forth between two systems trying to re-write it, so my eyes must have just gone straight past it, especially as I assumed I had already taken care of the attribution.

So lesson learned; two wrongs definitely don't make a right here... or anywhere for that matter.

Actually, if still looking for other greeble-type plugins, consider James Willmot's QuadPanels (here). Not free, but quite worthwhile IMO.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-21-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

My only concern was that this initially looked like someone's private code was exposed. As that is now realized not to be the case, back to the original topic...

Here are two snapshots of Zuzzabuzz' code. I have not tried any of them in LW 2019. But they vary a lot and may offer other options from whatever version you had stored away.

lwgreebles.zip

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Actually, if still looking for other greeble-type plugins, consider James Willmot's QuadPanels (here).
    Indeed. And that does work in recent LightWave.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 01-21-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Actually, if still looking for other greeble-type plugins, consider James Willmot's QuadPanels (here).
    How would you go about purchasing this without a dongle ID?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast