Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RealFlow --> Lightwave

RealFlow --> Lightwave

I am preparing some previz material for a large liquid simulation. I have just downloaded the Real Flow demo package, setup and exported the simulation and now all the fun begins… So I thought…

I have an Alembic object sequence. All the individual files/objects run just fine in LW 2019.4, but as a sequence.., hmmm, no.
    Fair enough, I think most packages requires a single Alembic file to work as expected.

I then stitched all the Alembic files and imported again. This time the first frame/object is fine, but the rest of the sequence is corrupted (the vertices are all over the place).
    I tried to open the very same Alembic file in Fusion, no problem. The water is flowing perfectly.

It seems like the development of RealFlow / Lightwave integration is discontinued due to the lack of users.

And finally to my question, what is the best way to go using Real Flow and Lightwave? I am really hoping for Alembic to be the choice instead of proprietary software solutions.

I guess my next issue is getting the same surface on all objects and probably motion blur… but for now I need to get the meshing to work in LW.

Any ideas? Kind regards
    /Samsoe

Hello,

I use Lightwave and Real Flow a lot. You need to download their Connection Software for Lightwave. Once installed into Lightwave, it will enable you to import Real Flow mesh files into Layout. I use the BIN format as instead of the ABC Alembic format, it just is easier and more straight forward.

Once the Connection software is installed, CTRL-Q will open up the master plugin panel, and you should be able to get into the Real Flow app from there.

The Connection software is also how you apply the Surface settings, but in 2015 and before. I've not tried Real Flow in 2019 much yet, so I'm not sure if it will work the same way since the surface editor is very different. I do know that you need to turn off motion blue with Real Flow meshes or it will not look right.

Good Luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Hello,

I use Lightwave and Real Flow a lot. You need to download their Connection Software for Lightwave. Once installed into Lightwave, it will enable you to import Real Flow mesh files into Layout. I use the BIN format as instead of the ABC Alembic format, it just is easier and more straight forward.

Once the Connection software is installed, CTRL-Q will open up the master plugin panel, and you should be able to get into the Real Flow app from there.

The Connection software is also how you apply the Surface settings, but in 2015 and before. I've not tried Real Flow in 2019 much yet, so I'm not sure if it will work the same way since the surface editor is very different. I do know that you need to turn off motion blue with Real Flow meshes or it will not look right.

Good Luck,
    Hi,
    Thanks for helping. Yes, I did read about the connection software. But it is outdated and not supported anymore.
    I was hoping for Alembic to be our savior

I will try to make an account and see if I can still download the connection software.
    Kind regards,
    /Ole

Quote Originally Posted by samsoe View Post
    I am preparing some previz material for a large liquid simulation. I have just downloaded the Real Flow demo package, setup and exported the simulation and now all the fun begins… So I thought…

I have an Alembic object sequence. All the individual files/objects run just fine in LW 2019.4, but as a sequence.., hmmm, no.
    Fair enough, I think most packages requires a single Alembic file to work as expected.

I then stitched all the Alembic files and imported again. This time the first frame/object is fine, but the rest of the sequence is corrupted (the vertices are all over the place).
    I tried to open the very same Alembic file in Fusion, no problem. The water is flowing perfectly.

It seems like the development of RealFlow / Lightwave integration is discontinued due to the lack of users.

And finally to my question, what is the best way to go using Real Flow and Lightwave? I am really hoping for Alembic to be the choice instead of proprietary software solutions.

I guess my next issue is getting the same surface on all objects and probably motion blur… but for now I need to get the meshing to work in LW.

Any ideas? Kind regards
    /Samsoe
    You can import RF meshes into LW very easily. Use RF Importer or via obj or even lwo sequences directly from RF.
    The Surface replacement does not work since v2018 but you can partially or completely resolve this problem if you convert imported meshes to VDB volumes.
    The Motion blur also does not work and the only way I know is to render these elements as a separate pass without MB and use Revision RSMB or something else in a composite package.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    You can import RF meshes into LW very easily. Use RF Importer or via obj or even lwo sequences directly from RF.
    The Surface replacement does not work since v2018 but you can partially or completely resolve this problem if you convert imported meshes to VDB volumes.
    The Motion blur also does not work and the only way I know is to render these elements as a separate pass without MB and use Revision RSMB or something else in a composite package.
    RF's days on LW are numbered, and it probably isn't a high number. Eventually, a LW API update will break it, and the RF plugin dev(s) don't seem at ALL interested in supporting/maintaining it any longer, so a fix is highly unlikely. Use it while you can, sure, but have a "migration plan" ready as well.

Quite the shame, LW RFRK was a nice option in the day. Not really surprising RF stopped support either, though, given LW's current market situation.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

There are other options. DeepFX, UP, Storm. I did this with Storm: https://vimeo.com/377628922
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

Thanks for the VDB tip jwiede! Using an OBJ sequence (straight from RF) in combination with VDB seems to be the way to go.
    The surface problem is eliminated and now I am down to the missing motion blur. But this issue is solved in Fusion using RSMB.

I have attached a few screenshots from Fusion.

Looking foward to render the liquid in LW using VDB.
    /Samsoe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiquidSim_Fusion.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	726.9 KB 
ID:	146704
    Last edited by samsoe; 01-22-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carm3D View Post
    There are other options. DeepFX, UP, Storm. I did this with Storm: https://vimeo.com/377628922
    I did try DeepFX In LW Layout, but I was not able to get the result I was looking for.
    Storm Granular Solver looks very promising. How do you exchange data back and forth between the apps?
    Up, never heard of this one before?
    /Ole

UP is not very good and the same price as Storm. UP is at Hurleyworks.com.

In LW2018 there is no way to load data from Storm into LW. Storm exports alembic particles, and LW can only load alembics with polygons. It also exports to .BIN and .PRT (I believe). If the RealFlow plugin worked beyond LW2015 that would do it. But currently all I can do with Storm is export meshed .obj sequences of liquids.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Thanks, OBJ is fine using the VDB trick. I will give Storm a go
    /Samsoe

Have fun! Let me know if you need help making your way through it's interface.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

I'm looking forward to when Storm gets it's point deformer feature so we can do soft bodies with it!!
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Quote Originally Posted by Carm3D View Post
    Have fun! Let me know if you need help making your way through it's interface.
    Thanks, sounds good.
    The Hurley tool seems quite good, and it is native LW Do you know if this is still in full production? A good long-term investment (future updates, LW 2020 support etc.).
    /Samsoe

The best plan is to contact Hurley and ask directly. Developers are motivated to continue projects when they know there's interest. Most LW plugin developers are 1-person operations.

After some silence on YouTube, a new demonstration was just posted this week. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9C...egHNd61z4yYSFQ

He's still developing...just not sure what tool this is.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I'm glad he's still working on it. I had fun with UP, but it is very poor doing collisions with deforming models. Storm handles this far better.
    Last edited by Carm3D; 01-22-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast