Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror issue

Mirror issue

Ive been having this issue for a while now and it continues to appear, ive been getting around it by copying and pasting but Im getting a bit tired of that now.
    On the odd occasion when using mirror X Some of my polygons appear black and no matter what surface i put on them?
    Theyre black and they render black, how can this be when they are supposed to be a direct copy of a previous polygon which looks fine..
    Here's what im talking about..
    Im using 19.1

Thanks for all help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirror.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	146686  

Try tripling them (crtl t) and then fusing them (shift z). This forces a rebuild of the normals for the polygons.

If the process is repeatable, I'd submit it as a bug report with sample geometry; Sounds like Lightwave is getting confused about something.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Tripling and merging it worked fine but...
    The obvious problem there is that I then have to go around selecting all the tripled polys then merging them and I may as well just copy and paste as it'll likely take less time. Thus pretty much making the mirror tool useless
    This pretty much proves though that this is a bug.

Thanks for help

I've had problems using the mirror function too.. When using mirrored geometry with 3rdPowers' Cage Deformer I was getting nasty deformation artifacting. I started using copy/pase/scale X by -100 and haven't looked back since.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

I can copy and paste without much drama but scale x by -100? That went right over my head, Can you let me know more?

I do my editing on one side.... Say, the positive X side. Nothing exists on the negative X side. So I copy the polygons on one side, copy and paste it into the next layer. Then I scale it on the X by -100% in Origin mode. Hit "f" to flip the polygons, then cut and paste it to the original layer. Merge points.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Is kind of sad that the scale -100% trick works so much better than the tool explicitly built for the purpose.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Silo 2 gives you a virtual mirror so you can see the mirrored side of your model as you work; even though it doesn't exist. Pretty neato.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Quote Originally Posted by Carm3D View Post
    I do my editing on one side.... Say, the positive X side. Nothing exists on the negative X side. So I copy the polygons on one side, copy and paste it into the next layer. Then I scale it on the X by -100% in Origin mode. Hit "f" to flip the polygons, then cut and paste it to the original layer. Merge points.
    What??? I use mirror all the time and never have issues. (Unless of course I'm trying to mirror CC subdivisions with edge weights. )
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Do you have Merge Points enabled in the mirror tool? if you do, try turning that off.

if that fixes it then it's likely your model has some duplicate points/polygons which are being merged in the mirrored half of the object.
    uh wha?

I too have issues with mirror tool every now and then. In such cases, I use a 3rd party tool (LWCAD) instead of the native tool. Yeah, it sucks, I know
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
    Do you have Merge Points enabled in the mirror tool? if you do, try turning that off.
    Yep - I wish that was off by default.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

If you get a weird result when you mirror, undo and merge points and mirror again. There is probably a good chance the merging of points will not show in the info window, but something happens to correct the issue. Again don't ever use the merge points in the mirror tool. (Unless you desire all your points to be stuck to one another - a bad thing if you have used snapping tools to line up geo but still want the geo separate.)
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Skonk, I turned off merge points in Mirror tool, also got rid of any duplicate polys and merged all points...

Made no difference..
    But I was messing around looking for a solution and I found a tool I havent used before 'Flip it' (Modify, Translate, More)
    It allowed me basically to mirror along the X axis..
    It seems to be ok so far, so no more mirror for me

Thanks for all help guys
    Last edited by ianay; 01-20-2020 at 04:20 PM.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by ianay View Post
    Ive been having this issue for a while now and it continues to appear, ive been getting around it by copying and pasting but Im getting a bit tired of that now.
    On the odd occasion when using mirror X Some of my polygons appear black and no matter what surface i put on them?
    Theyre black and they render black, how can this be when they are supposed to be a direct copy of a previous polygon which looks fine..
    Here's what im talking about..
    Im using 19.1

Thanks for all help

Have Polygon Statistics window all the time open.
    When n-gon (> 4 vertex polygon) is made, you will see, if it's caused by it.
    OpenGL is calculating normal vector of polygon from 1st, 2nd and the last vertex of polygon.
    If two points share the same position, delta between them is 0, and normal is also 0,0,0.
    Which disallows properly shade such polygon.
    5-gon with two points positions shared looks to human as 4 point polygon.
    LW renderer prior rendering converts everything to triangles, so it often disappears during rendering.
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast