Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stream dropping to YouTube & Facebook

Exclamation Stream dropping to YouTube & Facebook

Hello NT community!

I hope you're well.

I'm a marketer for a local non-profit and they keep having issues with their stream to YT & Facebook dropping. I seemed to have found the logs during the day which hopefully explain what is going on, although I do not know the software sufficiently nor their setup to adequately understand what specifically the problem is. I hoping that either you (generally) the community could take a look and at least help me parse and understand what the problem looks to be? Attached is the log for that day (and the problem seems to have occurred about at the 11 minute mark).

At the moment, the stream uses Dante (taking audio from a separate room) with a set of 6 cameras all of which send signals to their streaming room whose streaming computer uses TC1 to publish a live feed to YT & Facebook.

Please let me know if I should post this in a different forum or if I should reach out to Google/Facebook in the event they need to be made aware.

Looking forward to your replies,

This contains your stream token, you do not want others to have this If its your regular stream URL it mens others can publish to your channel. I would scrub the logs before sharing.

With that being said:

Code:
    20200114 09:36:44.393 [STREAM0] size=  555536kB time=00:07:00.10 bitrate=9682.0kbits/s
    20200114 09:36:44.550 [STREAM0] error: [8] Insufficient bandwidth for stream.
    20200114 09:36:44.550 [STREAM0] state: codec_status_error
    20200114 09:36:44.550 [EFLSH] [2020-01-14 09:36.44 (High)] Streaming Channel 1: Streaming Channel 1: Codec error - [8] Insufficient bandwidth for stream.
    20200114 09:36:44.550 [STREAM0] StopStreaming - restart = False
    20200114 09:36:44.551 [STREAM0] StopStreaming - elapsed time: 421.9215
    20200114 09:36:44.551 [STREAM0] restart check time: 421.9215
    10mbit is pretty hefty. You have sufficient bandwidth for this type of stream?

And that's 10 Mbits x 2 since you are sending to Facebook and YouTube at the same time. That's 20 Mbits of total outbound traffic for streaming.

I'd go to something like http://www.speedtest.net and run a speed test from that location and see if you can support that on your connection. Look for the upload bandwidth number, not the download one. You'll want to stay under that with your total bandwidth and leave a little bit leftover for safety.

It looks like you are using that encoder to record an MP4 as well. That might be why you have it set so high. You'll probably want to separate that out across the two encoders once you know how much bandwidth you have to send out your content.

Kris
    Last edited by kltv; 01-16-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions. I am trying to edit the OP but I do not see an "edit post" button anywhere. How do I do that? I'll remove it ASAP.

I'll add your suggestions to my to-dos once I'm on site again.

Best,
    Last edited by Web_Admin_HR; 01-17-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added an interrogative

Hi there!

Our speedtest rendered the following results:

Ping: 8ms, Download: 80.90 Mbps, Upload: 86.15 Mbps.

Should this work considering the logs?

Best,

Well you probably need a solid 30mbits to be safe which that test says you have but that was a short burst vs prolonged use. Is any one else sharing the connection at times with you? They could suck up a lot of the room.

We believe it's a dedicated line. We'll keep looking into it; thanks!

It looks like your connection is theoretically plenty strong enough if those rates are sustained. I would probably still lower the bitrate to more normal levels for internet live streaming though. I'm not sure how the CDN side of Facebook or YouTube handle a high-bandwidth incoming stream. Facebook in particular seems to be sensitive in environments I've used it in. I believe the recommended maximum bitrate for Facebook is 4 Mbps and YouTube is somewhere in the same ballpark for 1080 streams. The next step I would take would be to re-configure the encode/stream settings into two encoders instead of one. You can keep the current one setup at 10 Mbps for your archival recording. Setup the second one at 4 Mbps. Then assign that one to the Facebook and YouTube destinations. Try a test at those speeds and see if your connections work okay for a sustained amount of time. If they look okay, you could try cheating it back up, but you may find that bitrate is sufficient anyway. I know I've had problems when using the same encoder to Facebook and Twitter. Getting the settings happy to work with both destinations was a little touchy.

Kris

Thank you so much!

Facebook will shut you down if you push to much to them. They suggest 4mb/s. They also have a MAX size of 720p and they require an i-frame every 2 seconds. We have pushed 1080 for over 2 hours without issue, but those streams are 4 mbs or less. YouTube can take loads of bandwidth, but for a 1080 stream, they want 6k or less.

Honestly, you can push a 720p/2k-3k stream and 90%+ of your online viewers would not be able to tell a difference between that and a 1080. The vast majority of your viewers are watching either on their phones, or on a windowed browser viewer.

Update:

there is an individual on our team who is refusing to send 4K to Facebook because the TC1 says that the "quality" is "low." After looking at the settings, it seems that this label is entirely relative and what is important are the particular vectors used to determine that label (i.e,. resolution, bitrate, Codec, & framerate) in addition to the specifications listed by the platform (i.e., Facebook's request of 4K).

Is there TC1 documentation that helps define how the label is determined? I am trying to show how 4K HD is, well, high definition.

Thank you for your time.

Just for clarity, 4K in general conversation is typically referring to 4K video resolution. That is a 3840 x 2160 frame size also sometimes referred to as UltraHD. I wouldn't use the term 4K in this discussion, because that could be confusing. We are talking about sending a 4 Mbps or 4000 Kbps data rate.

I would point the individual on your team to this page: https://www.facebook.com/help/publisher/162540111070395

That is Facebook's maximum specifications for live streaming on their platform. Whether you, I, the TriCaster or that individual thinks that stream is "low quality" or "medium quality" is inconsequential. That's what Facebook's requirements are. If you want to use their platform, that's what you should send. Refusing to match their specifications and then having the stream fail because of that is kind of a ridiculous protest maneuver if you actually want to stream on Facebook. If you match their specs, you are sending still sending HD 1280x720p video. ESPN runs at 1280x720p for broadcast. The resolution is fine and is HD. 4 Mbps data rate is fine for live streaming at 720p. Until the Advanced Edition versions, the TriCasters topped out at 2 Mbps anyway.

The TriCaster calls that "low quality" because it isn't the kind of file that you should be saving for a master or anything you are going to edit later. I would have to check, but I'd imagine the TriCaster deems anything under 5 Mbps as "low quality" for that reason. That doesn't mean it is going to look bad, it just isn't a format you would want to use for archival purposes.

Kris

Thank you Kris!

I do wonder, however, how this documentation affects our issue?

https://developers.facebook.com/docs...-api/reference

It implies that we could send 9K at 1080p.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast