Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRT sources

SRT sources

NDI has been a game changer, but it's really only usable on a LAN. As the demand for more remote productions grow, SRT's tradeoff of low bandwidth and reliability for some latency seems well worth it. VMix accepts SRT sources and I would love it if my TriCaster did as well. Yes, I could use Talk Show, and I do, but I've really enjoyed the simplicity of SRT.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineGarag View Post
    NDI has been a game changer, but it's really only usable on a LAN. As the demand for more remote productions grow, SRT's tradeoff of low bandwidth and reliability for some latency seems well worth it. VMix accepts SRT sources and I would love it if my TriCaster did as well. Yes, I could use Talk Show, and I do, but I've really enjoyed the simplicity of SRT.
    I agree completely. I have some very interesting scenarios where we are using SRT to help facilitate remote operations. Checking out some Haivision hardware right now that allows 4 SRT streams out from one box. It would be outstanding to be able to plug those directly into a TC1 or VMC.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Yep. We have been testing that but it is one more point of failure and one more point of "which part gets the finger pointed at it when something goes wrong"

Full SRT integration for inputs into TriCaster/VMC would be much cleaner for our clients. Vmix already has it for ins and outs. I have an app on my iPhone that can receive and watch SRT stream/feeds. Sienna's ND Processing Engine has SRT input modules. This SRT thing is not a splash in the pan. If TriCaster is going to be viewed as the cutting edge solution it always has been then SRT needs to be part of it.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 01-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Just a bump but the April 17th update for TC1 at least appears to have added RMTP and SRT input sources!

http://514f211588de67e4fdcf-437b8dd5.../TC1_Notes.htm

I did not find where to set SRT inputs....

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    I did not find where to set SRT inputs....
    This document should help, I've been preparing over the last two weeks.
    SRT Ingest.pdf
    Last edited by kanep; 04-21-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I see that the 8000, etc, are noted with the 4/17 update to AE3. But it's not online.

Coming soon?

Thanks,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I see that the 8000, etc, are noted with the 4/17 update to AE3. But it's not online.

Coming soon?

Thanks,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Yes, my understanding is that this update is comming to AE3 systems like TC8000.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

SRT over public internet

Hi Kane

Delighted to say that we have managed to get SRT from Larix coming into our TriCaster locally, by following your instructions and using the TriCaster's IP address (from the TriCaster's Notifications panel). We seem to be failing to connect via our global IP address. We basically replaced the local IP address from the TriCaster with the IP address that google sees the TC on, keeping the same port & all other settings.

Any idea where we're going wrong?

Kind regards

Martin

I believe you will need to setup port forwarding on the router so the various ports SRT is using will be passed through to the Tricaster when some of the connections are initiated from the outside.

Correct, without a port foward, the router will not know where to direct the traffic to the inside of your network.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks STP & Kane - that worked straight away. The delay was down to a factory restore due to some update issues we've been experiencing.

We are however experiencing extreme latency from Larix to the TriCaster around 3 seconds whether it is going through the wifi LAN or via public internet and port forwarding. Does that sound at all common?

I haven't done too much with it but I do know there are several buffers that can be configured with SRT and they should be based upon the latency that you see from end to end. The default buffers are likely what's providing 3 seconds and if you have a healthy connection you could probably change those to be lower?

Thanks again STP. Yes, somehow Larix's latency was set to 2000 ms (useful article here: https://blog.wmspanel.com/2019/06/sr...ent-usage.html) although whatever I set it as, we seem to get ~1 extra second of latency. We have been having some NDA latency issues, but not as much as a second. I set the TriCaster URL to srt://0.0.0.0:9002?mode=listener&latency=120 to try to force the default and recommended minimum of 120 ms, but that doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Is anyone aware of how you determine your Round Trip Time (RTT) mentioned in the above article?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast