Thread: Windows 7 No longer going to be supported-TC 860 Standard

Windows 7 No longer going to be supported-TC 860 Standard

Hi Forum!! Happy New Year to everyone out there. Right to it!! We use a Tricaster 860 Standard and it of coarse has Windows 7. I'm just curious what the plan is for the Tricaster 860 community when windows no longer supports our expensive switchers? Are we to update on our own to a newer version of windows, or keep the system as is which is what I have always done and been told to do? I have no problem letting Newtek worry about the updates but if I need to do anything on my end to keep getting updated from Newtek I will. I understand the 860 is now outdated but as long as Newtek puts out the updates for it, I'm all over it. For what we need the 860 for it is serving it's purpose fairly well for now. Thanks in advance Forum!
    Live Concert Venue IMAG Director
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras
    Using NDI for media playback

It looks like overall support for Win 7 embedded, which is what I believe is on the TC 860, 8000 and the replays, ends in October 2021. Here is wikipedia about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Embedded_Industry I believe that is the version on the TC. I used to work at with a Broadcast Pix that had embedded XP. It wasn't doing any streaming, so the university IT made us take it off the network. All updates and graphic/video updates where done a LAN with no access to outside network. It's still operationally to this day. If you are just doing IMAG and not needing to stream with the TC, it should be fine until it starts to break down. At my current job I have a TC 8000 that I do a lot of streaming with. Once IT decides I can't have it on the network, I'll either need to upgrade or output the program signal to a seperate computer for streaming.

Thanks for the info DStoneburner!! I stream once in a blue moon when an artist needs it. Currently I generally give an output to them and they stream my output which works well. So for the most part it's IMAG and Video Content. We have 30Ft Center LED Wall and 4 Upright Towers with LED Panels mounted to the front all getting content with 2 floor cams with operaters and 2 PTZ's. I can be a busy guy during show sometimes!!! TC has been great for the most part. Had some issues with freezing during a show that is being recorded. Hasn't happened with the most recent update though. (knocking on wood)
    Again thanks for the info! Happy New Year!
    Live Concert Venue IMAG Director
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras
    Using NDI for media playback

I echo the concerns above. I use a TC 860 and 460 both with the Advanced edition 2 upgrades and make heavy use of NDI video sources. I also stream directly to the internet from the Tricaster, so pulling the machine off the network isn't really an option. Do I really only have until October 2021 (or sooner), to buy new tricasters?

Here is NewTek's article on it. Bad news. https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...End-of-Support

Post in another thread too, but the link article has another linked article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...curity-updates which suggestes that this has now been extended until October 10, 2023. Can this be confirmed?