Thread: LWCad DXF import

LWCad DXF import

Not sure if I should post here or not. After following Steve McAdle's Light Painting I thought about going to the next level if I can do it. I want to import a photo into any raster program and select the main object. Turn that object to 1 line art then vectorize it. Then take the vector object and import it into Modeler through the DXF import. And use that to Light Paint. Then take the whole photo and overlay it on the light painting to give it some dimension. To make my Vector objects I use a program called Image Vectorizer. When I try to import Modeler crashes. Has anyone use this program if not besides Illustrator is there a program you suggest?

I would suggest you approach it a bit more bullet proof.

If you do not have inkscape, get it ..itīs free....trace the photo from there with path/trace bitmap
    Save it out as svg format, But since Lightwave do not import svg in any good format...open blender ( otherwise get it and install if you donīt have it..you will be doing yourself a non favour if you dont) import the svg and in the curves options for that object (the svg imports as nondestructive curves) extrude it or bevel it, right click on the object and convert to mesh, save out as obj format and import to lightwave.

You could also try from inkscape..exporting to eps, import to lightwave should work if you have the latest 2019 lightwave versions, previous versions have issues with it I think.

Now ..also depends on if you want to maintain color, in such case svg do that for vector graphics when imported to blender, but not eps to lightwave, but saving it out from blender as obj should work with color intact if you go that route.

Inkscape and blender is All free.

Thank you Prometheus, Inkscape for Mac I guess is a pain to setup I do have Affinity Designer but they don't have an image tracer.

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    Thank you Prometheus, Inkscape for Mac I guess is a pain to setup I do have Affinity Designer but they don't have an image tracer.
    Oh..a mac...I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    It's not that hard. I've used XQuartz for this

After you posted your excellent Christmas card rendition of the Light Painting technique, I worked up a process in LW2019 for doing what you say that works fairly well but I never perfected it. I used LW2019 because it allows nodal / textured Light colors. I did try to get some results in LW2015 using Volumetric Lights, but they weren't very satisfactory.

I don't have the time to do a complete write-up, but here's a quick description.

I use Corel Draw to vectorize the line-art (or other) picture to EPS. Importing the EPS into Modeler is done *twice* in separate layers, one with Closed Polygons and one with Polylines. The Closed Polygons are simplified, and then I used Multiply=>Make Pole to place a center point in each polygon to be used for Light placement in Layout using Luxigons. These points were cut-n-pasted to another layer and a sequence of Merge Points (in Manual using 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, etc.) to reduce the number of points, and then I used Create=>Polygons=>Create 1-point Polygons. Selecting the 1-point polygons, I applied Luxigons as a quick setup method for the many Lights.

The Polylines layer was extruded to form the Black edges for shadowing / constraint of the individual Lights. I created a white Backdrop layer for the Lights to shine upon.

In Layout, I set up a single "template" Light to be cloned to the Luxigons using Convert Luxigons. This was a Spherical Light with a very low Intensity since once cloned, there will be a lot of them and their illumination will be additive. The Light color is set up nodally using the 2D Textures=>Image with World Position set and sized to match the size of the model created using Import EPS:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LuxigonCloned_NodalLightColor.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	146591

Using World Position and having the Image sized correctly means that when the Lights are cloned from the Luxigons, each Light will pick up its color from the relative position in the Image.

As an example, using the Black&White line art from here:

https://www.fiverr.com/miss_graphix/...on-in-24-hours

I vectorized it as described, and then manually painted the desired colors on top of the line art using Photo Paint:

Name:	WomanInButterflyMask_LightColors.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	146589

The colors don't have to fit into the line art at all, and indeed covering all of the black lines is desirable so all Lights have a non-black color (I didn't do this). Of course, if the original artwork was not B&W then I could have used the original image colors instead.

Then, going through the process described, results in this "Light Painting":

Name:	LightPainting_WomanInButterflyMask_ConvertedLuxigons.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	146590

I didn't do any fine-tuning of the Luxigon-cloned Lights, but it'd be a good "quick start" I think.

I'll see if I can find the time to do a more complete write-up, but I wouldn't count on it!

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 01-11-2020 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Remove duplicate World Position explanation